“A worthwhile activity in Astoria”

Columbia River Maritime Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$100.00*
and up
Oregon Coast Day Trip: Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock
Ranked #1 of 56 things to do in Astoria
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum celebrating the history of ship travel on the Columbia River.
Reviewed February 29, 2012

The Columbia River Maritime Museum holds a lot of interest for both adults and children. There are a number of hands-on displays and the museum is quite effective in transmitting information about the history of the areas, with some really intriguing photographs and items to look at. It is located right on the Riverfront walk so it makes a particularly attractive destination, especially if the weather is rainy or cold. I particularly like the gift shop because you will find items that you wouldn't find elsewhere -- locally made jewelry and food products, for example,a terrific book section, and a really wonderful selections of items for children. Located as it is, right along the river, the location is quite attractive and the museum is modern, bright and definitely deserves the hour or two you will want to spend.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,423)

Reviewed February 29, 2012

We liked this museum overall. My husband really enjoyed it, but he is very into boating (mainly sailing). My three year old daughter was pretty bored. There is a lot of really interesting information about the history of the Columbia River especially near Astoria. The displays are well done. My daughter's favorite was the pilot house where she could play with the controls.

The tour of the ship outside the museum was great although due to the weather we were the only ones on it which I am sure was much nicer than when it gets busy.

The film about the river was really interesting, but the projector was so awful that there were lines on the entire screen throughout the film. It actually made it hard to watch.

Overall, we enjoyed this museum, but probably won't need to go back for many years.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Great mix of hands on exhibits for the kids and lots to read for the adults. We took my dad for his 80th birthday and I learned my uncle was the Officer of the Day on his Navy ship during the attack on Pearl Harbor. I may have never known that important part of family history without the visit!
Paper tickets are given so you can come and go on the day of your visit. We took a break for lunch, but we missed touring of the Lightship Columbia. The ship closes before the museum.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

The museum is very interactive for families with children. For history buffs it supplies lots of information on the Columbia.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

This is a wonderful Maritime Museum that will keep you interested for hours! Kids and adults will enjoy this large museum!