“Great Value, Good Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Candlewood Suites Jacksonville

Candlewood Suites Jacksonville
Ranked #41 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Value, Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

I stayed here only for one night, despite this type of hotel being amenable for longer stay visits. I was traveling from new england to south florida, and this was my second stop towards my final destination (stayed in South Carolina the night before). This location left me with about 5 easy hours left of driving for the next day. It was easy to find right off the highway. Upon arriving, there was plenty of free parking and the front desk staff were professional and checked me in quickly.

My room was spacious, though a little stuffy, it felt like it hadn't been occupied in a while. My room had a kitchenette that was clean and fully functioning. I got directions to the nearest supermarket and decided to make myself dinner instead of eating out and hitting fast food joints like I had been doing for 2-3 days on the road. It was pretty refreshing after all the driving. I utilized their laundry facilities on the first floor as well to freshen up my clothes I was traveling with. The area where the laundry machines are were clean and bright, and included an adjacent sundry shop.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank frenzee617

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
st. louis, mo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

In a nut shell DO NOT STAY THERE I do not write negative reviews but I am this time, we were supposed to have fun and not be aggrivated on this trip. I was quoted a price to upgrade, when we arrived she could not do the upgrade but never confirmed the price that I was being charged the price was over double the price quoted. When I attempted to speak to the manager she would not speak to me (apparently this is a common practice it happened while we were checking in to someone else on the phone) I then spoke to another associate who told me that the manager was not there and that she would call me at 10 am on saturday, she knew that the manager would not be there on saturday or after 5 m-f they do not have management there 24 hours. Then to make matters worse they charged an additional charge that the manager (I just spoke to today monday I called her not her calling me) says is not there I must be seeing things on my computer because it is definately there. The rooms are nice but not for what I paid for them its a newer property and with the amount of hotels in the area they should have been making sure that we were happy not the case they have done just the opposite.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

- Kitchenette – D/W, frig (w/ ice maker), microwave
- Quite AC unit
- The room was cool when I arrived
- Free Internet service with good speed
- Nice comfortable bed with soft sheets
- 24 hour convenience store
- 2 phones – 1 by the bed and 1 on the desk.
- A nice work area with power outlets above the desk.
- Easy access open power outlets by the bed and desk
- DVD player and VCR combo
- Movies at the front desk
- TV swivels to watch as you work
- Decent office chair

Jeers:
-------------------
- No automatic door as you enter the hotel with your hands full
- No on-site central ice machine. Just the in room ice maker
- The overall décor and furnishings were the bare minimum
- The room darkening shades did not do a good job on keeping out the light if you need to rest during the day
- Needs a shower head upgrade...C'MON MAN!
- The alarm clock/CD player seemed overly complicated to set the alarm (why 14 buttons???)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Wanman_007
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

Stayed for a few days in Aug 2009. The front desk staff were super friendly, and even greeted me by name when I checked in and when I'd pass by the entrance throughout our stay. They allowed us to check in around 10am even though check-in isn't until 3pm. Our room was on the second floor. The hallways and carpets seemed clean and fresh. The room was clean and had a good layout. Spacious bathroom, and the kitchenette was great. I didn't use the gym, but nice that they have one. No pool though. We didn't have Housekeeping tend to our room during our stay since they only clean weekly, but the staff were really pleasant when we'd pass them in the hall. I didn't mind that housekeeping isn't daily; I'd rather not have people coming in the room all the time anyway. Overall, we were very happy with this hotel. Great value for $45/night (AAA rate). Would definately stay here again if in Jacksonville.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

The Good:
Was able to check-in early. Did not have much staff contact.
The room was nice, clean, and quite. Sized nicely. The internet worked great. (Wasn't slow) The location is close to the interstate/main road.

The Bad:
The TV did not have LOCAL channels on it. (ABC,CBS,NBC NOT even PBS!). Only national channels. No pool or free breakfast. No Daily housekeeping.
A LOT of internal room noise at night (Refrigerator running, Air Conditioner on)
A lot of "little" nightlights at night, from all the light displays in the room. (Microwave,DVD Display, Alarm Clock) The room was not completely dark. Made it difficult to sleep. The location was not close to any shopping or restaurants.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2009

The rooms were decently appointed, very clean, very safe, included wireless and I loved having everything I needed to make my own meals. The small gym was a bonus and there was something very good-natured about their quirky store and friendly and helpful (though limited) staff. And I loved the fact that the room was not made up daily, which wastes energy, time and resources. I felt more at home here than all of the other Florida hotels I usually stay at (and I travel for business often). All for a great price, too!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank EaLaSpada
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2008

A friend and I stayed in this hotel when we were in Jacksonville for a concert. I always agonize over choosing the wrong hotel so I spent a lot of time looking around for the right one. I settled on Candlewood because it was in a good part of town, offered smoking rooms, was affordable (I believe I paid $70 total), was pretty close to where we were going and had easy access to the interstate.

The front desk people were very nice. We were given a non-smoking room by accident and the lady was really nice when we went back to get the keycard recoded for another room. The hotel has three floors; the smoking floor is up top so the other guests aren't bothered, which was okay with us (there's an elevator, of course).

There is a small commissary-type area; there is a lot of food items available, both non-perishable and refrigerated food and drinks. It's on an honor system, so you just fill out a slip and they charge it to your room upon checkout (or you can drop cash in the slot). We got a coupon for two free cans of soda, so that was cool. There were also a small laundry room and small workout room that we didn't use.

The hotel seemed pretty new and was in a safe area. It was a bit confusing to get there on the way back after the concert, but we figured it out pretty quickly.

There were a couple things about the room itself that irked us, though. The bed and pillows were really not comfortable: the bed was too firm and the pillows were down or something and were really flat feeling. They did have a little sign in the room stating they would change out the pillows if we preferred fluffier pillows or whatever, but after the concert, my ears were ringing and I just wanted to eat something (Easy Mac from the commissary!) and get to sleep, so I didn't worry about it.

The air conditioning was pretty annoying. I set it at 76 so the heat kicked on to warm the room to that temperature, then the air would kick on when it overheated the room. The thing was constantly kicking on and off, and it was loud enough that I had to turn the volume up on the TV, which made me worry that I was blasting it and the neighbors would get mad (they didn't).

The walls are a little thin, but you can't make out words or conversations, just muffled talking sounds.

The suite had a small kitchen in it, which was cool. It was stocked with dishes and cooking utensils/pots/pans/corningware so if we had been staying for more than just one night, we could have saved some money by eating in.

The TV got plenty of channels, HBO included. The hotel does offer high-speed Internet but it's not wireless, which made our hearts sink a bit when we both pulled out our laptops (only one hard-line). They gave us a ticket to "rent" a DVD for free, from their library, but we got back too late to use it (they close the front desk at 11pm, if I remember correctly).

All in all, it was a good, safe, affordable hotel. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Safe area, nice staff, on-site food pantry
  • Disliked — The bed, pillows and annoying air conditioner
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)