“Clean - convenient location - inexpensive - good value”

Candlewood Suites Jacksonville
Ranked #48 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Key West, Florida
“Clean - convenient location - inexpensive - good value”
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night, even though it is more of a "long stay" hotel. The layout of the rooms seems to be the same regardless of the location. My opinion of this chain has improved significantly having stayed at a few of them. It's not that this location is so much different, it's that my expectations have changed to match their concept. This is important.

You will not find five star room service or amenities here. It's a curious anomaly that the less expensive the hotel, the more amenities you seem to get for free. For example, this hotel has included Wifi and ethernet; free local telephone calls; free receipt of faxes; free parking. There is a BBQ to use. It is located in a nice part of Jacksonville. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, and it has a dishwasher, a stovetop, a microwave and a fridge.

There is a room on the main floor that sells foodstuffs on the honour system. Pop (soda for you Americans!) is fifty cents. No one sells pop for fifty cents anymore! Free coffee. A workout center. Free washer and drier.

The negatives? The hallways in almost every Candlewood I have stayed in bear the telltale scents of cooking, much as an apartment building might. It doesn't seem to invade the room however, and is the price for having cooking facilities! My room was generally quiet - a family of heffalumps was upstairs from me but they finally quietened down. There is a grocery store about 2-3 miles away. This hotel has some great bike lanes near the hotel.

The staff - Steve at check-in Angle at check-out were courteous and friendly. I had no problems, so I can't assess how they were at problem-resolution.

I have stayed at the other Candlewood Suites on the Jacksonville Beach side of the city - the one at Merill Road - although that other location is spitting distance from a grocery store, this one has a much prettier location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank IaOrana_Maruuruu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed January 2, 2011

This hotel was fine for the money. It was convenient to the Interstate and to the beaches. We could hear hall noise on New Year's Eve.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 24, 2010

I stayed here only for one night, despite this type of hotel being amenable for longer stay visits. I was traveling from new england to south florida, and this was my second stop towards my final destination (stayed in South Carolina the night before). This location left me with about 5 easy hours left of driving for the next day. It was easy to find right off the highway. Upon arriving, there was plenty of free parking and the front desk staff were professional and checked me in quickly.

My room was spacious, though a little stuffy, it felt like it hadn't been occupied in a while. My room had a kitchenette that was clean and fully functioning. I got directions to the nearest supermarket and decided to make myself dinner instead of eating out and hitting fast food joints like I had been doing for 2-3 days on the road. It was pretty refreshing after all the driving. I utilized their laundry facilities on the first floor as well to freshen up my clothes I was traveling with. The area where the laundry machines are were clean and bright, and included an adjacent sundry shop.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank frenzee617
st. louis, mo
Reviewed April 12, 2010

In a nut shell DO NOT STAY THERE I do not write negative reviews but I am this time, we were supposed to have fun and not be aggrivated on this trip. I was quoted a price to upgrade, when we arrived she could not do the upgrade but never confirmed the price that I was being charged the price was over double the price quoted. When I attempted to speak to the manager she would not speak to me (apparently this is a common practice it happened while we were checking in to someone else on the phone) I then spoke to another associate who told me that the manager was not there and that she would call me at 10 am on saturday, she knew that the manager would not be there on saturday or after 5 m-f they do not have management there 24 hours. Then to make matters worse they charged an additional charge that the manager (I just spoke to today monday I called her not her calling me) says is not there I must be seeing things on my computer because it is definately there. The rooms are nice but not for what I paid for them its a newer property and with the amount of hotels in the area they should have been making sure that we were happy not the case they have done just the opposite.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

- Kitchenette – D/W, frig (w/ ice maker), microwave
- Quite AC unit
- The room was cool when I arrived
- Free Internet service with good speed
- Nice comfortable bed with soft sheets
- 24 hour convenience store
- 2 phones – 1 by the bed and 1 on the desk.
- A nice work area with power outlets above the desk.
- Easy access open power outlets by the bed and desk
- DVD player and VCR combo
- Movies at the front desk
- TV swivels to watch as you work
- Decent office chair

Jeers:
-------------------
- No automatic door as you enter the hotel with your hands full
- No on-site central ice machine. Just the in room ice maker
- The overall décor and furnishings were the bare minimum
- The room darkening shades did not do a good job on keeping out the light if you need to rest during the day
- Needs a shower head upgrade...C'MON MAN!
- The alarm clock/CD player seemed overly complicated to set the alarm (why 14 buttons???)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Wanman_007
Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Stayed for a few days in Aug 2009. The front desk staff were super friendly, and even greeted me by name when I checked in and when I'd pass by the entrance throughout our stay. They allowed us to check in around 10am even though check-in isn't until 3pm. Our room was on the second floor. The hallways and carpets seemed clean and fresh. The room was clean and had a good layout. Spacious bathroom, and the kitchenette was great. I didn't use the gym, but nice that they have one. No pool though. We didn't have Housekeeping tend to our room during our stay since they only clean weekly, but the staff were really pleasant when we'd pass them in the hall. I didn't mind that housekeeping isn't daily; I'd rather not have people coming in the room all the time anyway. Overall, we were very happy with this hotel. Great value for $45/night (AAA rate). Would definately stay here again if in Jacksonville.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed May 24, 2009

The Good:
Was able to check-in early. Did not have much staff contact.
The room was nice, clean, and quite. Sized nicely. The internet worked great. (Wasn't slow) The location is close to the interstate/main road.

The Bad:
The TV did not have LOCAL channels on it. (ABC,CBS,NBC NOT even PBS!). Only national channels. No pool or free breakfast. No Daily housekeeping.
A LOT of internal room noise at night (Refrigerator running, Air Conditioner on)
A lot of "little" nightlights at night, from all the light displays in the room. (Microwave,DVD Display, Alarm Clock) The room was not completely dark. Made it difficult to sleep. The location was not close to any shopping or restaurants.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo