“Great location, very clean”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville South
Ranked #48 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed June 19, 2013

When I walked in I thought the hotel was brand new, bright and clean. The staff was very pleasant and helpful with local directions near by. Free Breakfast was obviously a nice plus. I would recommend this to others and will likely stay here again when I come back in town on business or pleasure.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was my first visit at this Holiday Inn Express and I truly enjoyed my stay everyday. Front desk gives a very warm and welcome greeting as well as very professional. lobby gives an impression of a very clean hotel and it is true, rooms very nice and comfortable, housekeeping is top notch and enjoyed the delicious breakfast bar. Swimming pool very nice and clean ,water was wonderful. I will most certainly be returning.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Very clean! Great price! Great hotel,definitely would recommend this. Front desk lady was very friendly. Pool was nice and clean. The room was clean and smelled great! Breakfast included is a plus! Plenty of restaurants nearby. We appreciated the complimentary toiletries since my husband forgot his toothbrush at home.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
RiinaK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville South, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you Ashley G!
We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review about us. And what a wonderful review it is. I am very glad to hear that you loved our hotel and our staff. We hope to be your stop in Jacksonville in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed here on the way to Sanibel Island, Florida for one night.

It was absolutely fantastic. The whole area had very well appointed landscaping. It had a nice pool, the rooms were updated and very clean. The hotel was also pet friendly. This is our new place to stop on the way to South Florida. And the best part is we paid $79 a night!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you Renzo P. for taking the time to write a review about us. We really appreciate it and we are happy to read such wonderful words about us. I am glad that your pet got to travel with you. I know how much my furry one loves to travel. Thank you!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

During my early summer "road tour" I visited 11 IHG (parent company of Holiday Inn Express) properties, almost nonstop. This was unquestionably the least attractive hotel. You can do better elsewhere.

From the moment the front desk clerk blandly without a smile told me no upgrade was available (countered moments later from a lady in the back office), I knew customer service here would be way below that which I experienced elsewhere in the prior three weeks. The Holiday Inn Express chain has high standards for hospitality. Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville South flunked the standard.

Let me say that the Holiday Inn Express chain generally is an excellent product. The physical facilities include a welcoming spacious lobby, pool (outdoor here), exercise room, breakfast room with a selection of fresh hot foods, free parking, spacious well-maintained rooms, full baths, free wifi and newspapers, and sometimes microwaves and refrigerators. Upgrades are generally available for Priority Club elite members which might mean the micro and refrig, or even better, the suite product which actually is a "junior suite" in the hotel industry, without dividing wall.

The staffs in 10 of the 11 properties where I stayed were alert, enthused, and clearly enjoying their jobs (or at least appearing to). The people here were all just going through the motions. No warm welcome, no big genuine smiles, no breakfast hostess who cared you got what you needed. From the back office manager to the maids, they all seemed a bit comatose, distracted or bored.

All the three or four breakfast room trash bins were overflowing for at least 30 minutes, customers having to go into the kitchen (door propped open) to dump their disposable plates, bowls, cups, cutlery, etc. The maid waited outside my room as I was in the process of loading my car, all but tapping her foot as she wanted me to hurry up. No one went out of their way to say hello, good morning, or common at HIX's, thanks for being a customer.

My room door lock did not latch automatically when the door was closed. I found this out the hard way when I left the room on an errand and returned to find my door slightly open. I tested the lock mechanism, and found out that you must really slam the door hard (shaking the walls, disturbing nearby guests) to get the latch to work. When I told the front desk clerk on check out, rather than apologizing and thanking me for pointing this out, she said she would have someone look into it. Perfunctory. That is a good word to sum up the effort of this HIX to treat you as a guest.

Customers here seemed to be treated as a necessary, but unfortunate, part of the hotel business.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SoBeSparky

Dear Mr. SoBeSparky
I am sorry to hear that your recent stay in Jacksonville with us was not completely satisfactory. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I apologize for failing to provide you with customer service that you should have received and understand your disappointment. I assure you that we are very dedicated to guest services and I have spoken to every person involved with your stay to prevent falling short in our guest satisfaction. Hopefully you will still keep staying with IHG Branded hotels as you have many times in the past and if you return to Jacksonville we would like to exceed your expectations in meeting our goals. Thank you

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Made reservations for this hotel while still driving south on I95 near the Florida Georgia border. I was hoping to arrive before dusk, heavy rain made that wish impossible. Angie, the desk clerk, greeted us upon arrival, she was a ray of sunshine on a dreary night. As bedraggled as we were, she made us feel welcome and we felt like we were home. The hotel is nicely arranged and everything is within minutes of our room. Unlike higher priced/rated hotels this Holiday Inn offers, for free, any amenities you might have forgotten, in our case, we ran out of toothpaste. Thank you, Angie.
The lobby/lounge was busy with people of all ages eating, watching TV and enjoying each others company. It was a very relaxed friendly atmosphere. If I wasn't exhausted from the drive I would have stayed and joined the festivities.
We had a King suite and it was every bit a four star hotel room * * * *
The bed was comfortable beyond my expectations, the variety of pillows (found a soft one) made sleeping that night a pleasure. Minimal noise outside the room in the hallway and no noise coming from the parking lot.
I hope all Holiday Inn Express Hotels and Suites are this nice.
I will be back ~ Thank you Holiday Inn

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

they are very very vlean the best deals and offers plus very thoughtfull and caring also rooms smell good great large breakfest more like dinner in the am gave me every thing i needed and info on what i didnt know.very close to the surrounding area and in the middle of jacksonville fl great food around area and best of it all DAVE AND BUSTERS RIGHT NEXT DOOR!!!!

Room Tip: king size are great