“Excellent hotel at a fantastic value.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville South

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville South
Ranked #57 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Excellent hotel at a fantastic value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

This Holiday Inn Express is a fantastic hotel. Location is great, within easy access to major highways. The front desk staff is clearly happy with their line of work, eager to be helpful, and always greet all the customers with a smile. The rooms are super clean and comfortably appointed with modern furniures. Pets are welcomes with an open arm, which is always a must with all dog owners. Breakfast service is fantastic, featuring HI Express signature cinnamon roll. Wifi easy to connect and dependable. Overall, an excellent value for your dollar. Only "adverse" comment: The two bed "suite" is not quite a "suite" in the conventional sense; in most Holiday Inns, it would perhaps be more accurately termed as a 2 beds with a couch sitting area.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

GREAT warm cookies on check in! Newspaper in the morning.This is an excellent place to stay. Hot breakfast and friendly helpful staff! They even provided a wheel chair for my mother in law who had just had eye surgery.

Room Tip: adjoining and handicapped rooms available
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The only irk was killing a roach the first night... If we had seen others I would have been concerned, however I got over it quickly because the hotel was awesome... The breakfast is truly a breakfast... pancakes, eggs, sausage, biscuits, sausage gravy, toast, bagels, your choice of jellies, peanut butter, syrup & sugar free syrup, cereal, OJ, & Passion Mango juice, coffee and all served and available at least until 9:30 am everyday... excellent location off I-95, easy to find and fairly easy to exit as the entrance off the freeway is a one way... nice well lit parking lot with circular drive to drop off luggage or people... will stay here again in a heartbeat... Go HOLIDAY INN - Jacksonville South...

Room Tip: asked and received a ground floor room...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

The lipstick on a pig review about wraps it up, we were in town for a concert and I booked the room reading the not half bad reviews. I've stayed at super 8s with exterior doors nicer and cleaner. The towels were 80% cotton, 15% cement and 5% pubes. One washcloth had what appeared to be a fecal stain. The room was cramped, not to mention we were missing a pull out sofa. They were able to let me check in about 30 minutes early but really nothing special. For the price Hilton and Wyndham go further and beyond expectations in this area. The hotel seemed to have a somewhat recent update but it was not much and kind of just thrown on. And cops were constantly on the premises, I'm not sure if this was security or incidents but either way if that much security was needed or there were that many incidents, but it was the type of presence that more so raises you hair. This motel is the reason I will never stay with HI Or IC again and have moved all my business travelers to a HGI when back home.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
RiinaK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville South, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to write about your stay. I do apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay. I have addressed all the cleaning issues with our housekeeping department and I assure you we do not take this lightly. I am sorry if a suite with pull out sofa bed was not available during your stay. We are in a safe area and have not had any problems with police involvement but have had police training on the property. Again, I am truly sorry for any inconvenience you experienced and hope this does not affect your decision to use Holiday Inn Express brand in the future.
Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed here for one night in what was called a suite. I normally define a suite as having a separate bedroom and sitting area. This was more like a studio with a pullout sofa, a microwave and a refrigerator. The room was the same size as a regular room. Aside from that there was nothing, good or bad, to differentiate this HIE from any other HIE,

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Pistolpjh
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jacksonville South, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Pistolpjh,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I'm sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the room you received. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sanford, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I have read some negative reviews of this hotel and I am not certain that the reviewers stayed in the same hotel.

This hotel was clean, neat, and smelled just fine. The breakfast area takes up half of the open lobby area and has at least 10 tables. One morning I came down to eat and all the tables were full as there was some kind of college sports team filling all of the tables.

I grabbed my food and went outside and ate by the pool.

My single biggest complaint is that the tub enclosure is absolutely the smallest one I have ever had to stand in. I did not take baths mind you but it was impossible to stand with both feet side by side and take a shower without feeling cramped.

I have stayed around the corner at the Candlewood Suites a lower cost option in the Holliday Inn chain and their tubs are normal sized so why does the Holliday Inn the higher dollar hotel have such tinny tubs?

If you want comfortable beds, clean rooms, reasonable price (for the area), and friendly staff then this place is worth a look.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor less noise as there is no one above you.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gpphelps
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Yes, I wrote "sniff". Why? Because there is a definite odor/aroma/smell in the hotel. I don't know what it is but it seems to be a combination of musty or moldy carpet. Something just isn't right.

It appears that there were recent renovations to the hotel and so the property appears to be in good condition. However, the instant you enter the room, you can't help but notice the smell. It's not overpowering. It's not an odor that will run you off, but you do notice.

I would recommend to management that they replace the carpets in the bedrooms.

The bed was fine but my major issue was with electrical outlets. There didn't seem to be enough of them and the ones that were there were loose. You had to plug things in carefully or it felt like you could possible break the outlet.

The room didn't "look" bad for a basic hotel room. Nothing fancy. The tv has limited channels and the remote control was horrible. The TV needs to be updated.

The Internet access was fine. There were plenty of towels and they didn't smell. The bathroom had plenty of room.

I give this hotel an average rating because I believe the staff "tries" but they may be limited by ownership or management. The property looks decent but the room smell is a definite minus.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business