“Hold Your Nose and Don't Bother the Staff. They Don't Care!”

Ramada Jacksonville/Baymeadows Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #77 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Miami Beach, Florida
“Hold Your Nose and Don't Bother the Staff. They Don't Care!”
Reviewed August 27, 2008

So many things are bad with this hotel that I don’t even know where to begin. First off, let me state that after one night, I couldn’t leave fast enough.

Although this hotel was recently “renovated,” it was done on the cheap! The lobby was cleaned up and new, the vanities and faucets in the guest rooms are new. Some of the carpet is new. The lamps in the guest rooms are new (although of inferior quality as two of ours were broken). That’s about it. The rest of the place (including the walls, hallways, common areas) still looks and smells disgusting -- like in the “before” picture.

But the problems were overwhelming. . . . . .

1. This hotel is attached to a bar and smokers gather around all the entrances. If you are sensitive to smoke, you have to hold your breath each time you enter or exit the hotel. Ash trays are filled with cigarette butts and cigarette butts litter the parking lot.

2. Trays of decomposing food sit outside guest rooms for hours and hours until they are removed. In our experience, we saw these nasty trays along the hall when we checked in at 3:00pm and were still there that night at 11:30pm (on a Tuesday). The hallway smelled horrible because of this and we held our breath until we got into our room.

3. The staff is absolutely and utterly lackadaisical about any problems and will do anything possible to shut you up before going out of their way to help. Each time I approached the front desk, the clerk (more than one of them) appeared to be on a personal call and I was clearly bothering them. Here are a few more examples:

• Our bathroom door did not close all the way. I called the front desk and was told that it was meant to be that way so that nobody gets accidentally locked in. When I asked to speak to her manager she changed her story and agreed to send maintenance to fix it.

• When I couldn’t get on the internet through the wireless connection I was told that the connection was working and the problem was with my computer. After insisting and clearly bothering her [the front desk operator], she told me that I would have to call the 800 number. After calling tech support for two hours and getting no answer I called her back and she said there was nothing she could do. I was unsure if she was arrogant or just indifferent. She said that I should keep calling. When I finally got somebody, they told me that the connection was down and the clerk should have reset the connection. Once she rebooted the server, the connection was fine. The support agent said that the clerk should have done that first before referring me to them.

• In the morning when I went for coffee, there were TWO coffee dispensers. I asked if they were both the same and was told that one was regular and one was decaf. I asked which is which (since there were no signs). I was told that if there are no signs than I should assume them both to be the same. Probably regular but not sure and not willing to find out.

4. I went to the hotel bar for a glass of wine. $6.00 for a glass is not bad. But when I inquired, I learned that the wine was “BAREFOOT” which sells for $5.99 a bottle at 7-11 and $4.99 at the super market. Instead I asked the bartender for a blue-moon beer. He pointed out 6 bottles lined up and said those are the only ones available. I ordered one from that line-up and he was out. Instead he offered me another beer not on that line up. Unfortunately the beer was not cold.

5. Beds were new, but not comfortable. Pillows were awful, but my wife and I learned to travel with our own pillows.

6. The worst part was that the walls are paper thin. When the person in the room next door uses the bathroom, you hear all the sounds. Additionally, you know when they flush the toilet and you know when they are in the shower. You know when they get a wakeup call because it sounds like the phone is ringing in your own room.

This hotel was a terrible mistake for us. The Holiday Inn hotel chain should be embarrassed to have their name on this location. They are outlandishly overpriced for the repugnant product they offer.

Never ever again!

• Liked — Close to I-95
  • Disliked — Foul odors, thin walls, filth, lethargic staff, warm beer, smokers at every exit.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Baltimore
Reviewed April 26, 2008

Well, you can forget all the terrible ratings!

The remodeling has been completed and the facility is under new management. My wife and I entered a beautiful lobby and were greeted in a very pleasant and professional manner at check in. We were also met by the new manager and he was pleasant to deal with. He told us that the facility had received some bad reviews on the internet and it was his job to make sure that everything was going to be excellent with our stay. He succeded.

We were assigned to one of the rooms in the new section of the hotel. The room and the bathroom were spacious and spotlessly clean, and the microwave oven and the refrigerator were in excellent condition. The bath towels were the softest we had ever encountered at a Holiday Inn; it was like we were at a Hilton or Marriott. The bed was spacious and had just the right firmness, and the air conditioner ran without a lot of noise.

We did not eat dinner at the hotel, but we had breakfast the next morning and were surprised to see that there was omelet station with the buffet. That right, an omelet station; when is the last time you encountered this at a Holiday Inn?

We were very glad we had selected this Holiday Inn and we would certainly return.

• Liked — Very soft bath towels
  • Disliked — There was nothing not to like
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed November 22, 2007

I booked this hotel through a travel program. Notice that the website kept saying newly remodeled. It was to a certain extent!! The lobby was beautiful but the room was not that great. The carpet had not been
cleaned or replace and some of the furniture had been refurbished. I needed a micro/fridge for my elderly mother and the microwave looked as if it had been thrown down a couple of stairs and then put in the room. The fridge was full of dents. For about $100 per night, I expected so much more. The bathroom vanity was beautiful but big and bulky. They painted half of the bathroom and left old wallpaper up to complete an unusual look. The doors on these rooms were so old and loud that you heard everyone coming and going. The front desk stated they were finish with their remodeling and I was shocked. The onsite restaurant was empty at dinnertime and we found out why. Overprice and
food was not that great. Stick with the salads!!! Warning...Ask to see
the assigned room before you check in..You may get lucky, I didn't! Will post pictures later.

• Disliked — Non-refundable though my travel program!!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
ROCHESTER, NY
Reviewed July 28, 2007

This is the by far the worst hotel i have ever stayed in! it was
dirty and smelled! There was mold on the curtains in the
room and all the furniture was dented and old! There was
food and garbage in the hallways that was there from the day
before when we had checked in! We decided to try the
restaurant, we first had all dirty glasses and silverware and
then we waited almost 1 hour for our food to arrive, when we
went to complain to the manager he said "oh it was not our
fault" the chef is busy tonight and our waitresses our not the
best part of our hotel but we have alot of other things that are!
We could not wait to get out of there, the worst stay of our lives!
The final kicker was when i received my bill i was charged twice for the room! DO NOT EVER STAY HERE, THE WORST EXPIERENCE OF MY LIFE, AND THE DIRTEST HOTEL I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
chattanooga
Reviewed March 23, 2007

This was my WORST experience at a Holiday Inn (or any other hotel for that matter). I was travelling with four little girls and had an early morning flight out. We had prepaid the room, which was not very clean and smelled very moldy and damp. At 12:30 in the morning ONE OF THE BEDS BROKE AND ONE SIDE FELL TO THE FLOOR! Upon calling the front desk we were told "no manager was available" but they could move us to another room at the other end of the hall. I had to wake up four little girls, repack our bags, carry our own belongings (no one even helped us to move our things!). In the morning I received an additional bill for a movie that the girls had watched the night before. I was furious that they would even consider billing
us for an incidental item after the horrible service. They told me I'd have to speak to a manager and, you guessed it, "none was available". It was horrible. I called the corporate number and was told they would take care of it, but three days later those charges mysteriously showed up on my credit card. To date, no manager has bothered to return ANY of my calls. BE WARNED: this is a horrible, dirty, smelly hotel with LOUSY customer service. If you are thinking about staying here - don't. In fact, I am rethinking a stay at ANY Holiday Inn hotel after this experience.

• Liked — There was nothing good about my stay!
  • Disliked — You name it. The entire experience was HORRIBLE!!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank tnsharkie
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 18, 2006

They are currently renovating the lobby area of the hotel. The problem is they need to renovate the rooms. Very dirty, old, tired rooms. Did not even want to sit on the sofa or bed. We checked out shortly after checking in. Good location, but do not recomend it at any price!!!! We stayed here 2 years ago and then it was OK, but it has gone down hill drastically. Hi-speed internet inoperable and told numerouse times they had fixed it. I travel every week for business and use the chain quiet often. I would suggest that they remove their name from this hotel.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank tlawman
NY
Reviewed May 18, 2006

One of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in.....and our family travels often. Room was dirty, old, and stinky. I was afraid to let my toddler touch the floor. Do not stay here with kids. Booked online, they couldn't find my reservation. I could go on for hours, but I believe I have said enough to give a good idea.

• Stayed May 2006