“Good breakfast, lousy housekeeping.” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Jacksonville I-95 South
Ranked #77 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Orlando, United States
“Good breakfast, lousy housekeeping.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is a Hampton that appears to have been a Hoiward Johnsons or similar in the past. There is nothing special about the property, but you will get a comfortable and clean bed. Breakfast was better than I expected! Housekeeping failed to show during the day and when I reported that to the front desk, I was asked if I had left the do not disturb sign out (I had not) and that housekeeping was gone for the day. I can sleep in an unmade bed, but a great response would have included a simple apology. Add that to the mildew all over the shower stall and this hotel needs to look at their housekeeping staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Advance, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Strong chemical smell in first two rooms we went in. Front desk clerk apologized and said it was a 25 year old property under renovation . Husband asked we be given a room on a floor that was completed. No chemical smell in third room but I'm sensitive to mold and mildew. If you are would advise you stay some where else. Breakfast was fair with egg omlet's, good hash browns, waffles, fruit, yogurt and excellent coffee.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Teresa S
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Good except for the water quality. Water was too and soft and didn't thoroughly rinse you. A/C was noisy but sufficient for temp. Room was clean and bathroom was as well. Internet was sufficient for speed. Only thing that did not work was the alarm clock.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Where possible, I try to stay at Hampton Inns. One of the perks of this chain is the consistency among the properties... and then we stayed here. This property does not meet the standards of the chain; but if you get a good price on the room and think of it as a damp one-notch cheaper chain, it'll be fine.

It's an older property with a different layout branded (for now) a Hampton Inn. Room was clean and bug free. Much smaller than usual, with a bit of an odd layout and very musty and damp. No visible mildew, though. The mattress was broken, and sagged badly on one side (it was quite comfy on the other side); when we complained, we were told that nothing's getting repaired in the hotel, it's going to get re-branded soon as a cheaper chain. The air conditioning kept the room comfortable; while fairly loud, it didn't disturb sleep, but if you sit at the desk next to it you'll freeze (in the rest of the room, it was OK), but when it cycles off the room feels very damp. My husband found the couch to be extremely uncomfortable. There weren't many outlets for charging devices. They had a weird roll-out table in addition to the usual fixed (but very small) table -- it was a great idea, really useful. The bathroom was very small and VERY dated, with clear signs of water damage, and paint peeling on the tub under the faucet. No air circulation in there so nothing dried, things had to be brought into the main room. Not enough counter space for our stuff, but the ledge under the sink helped. No room safe, so we had to schlepp our laptop, cameras, etc with us at all times (frustrating). Location isn't near anything useful for a tourist, but it is near highways. Just note that the JT Butler road is VERY VERY confusing, when you're heading west.

At breakfast, the food options were EXTREMELY limited because it's a tiny area (ie not originally a Hampton Inn property). Not even scrambled eggs, everything was super salty, high fat, carb heavy (waffles, "pizza bagels", etc) -- so the first day, I little to eat (gluten leaves me very ill). I asked at the desk, and the clerk couldn't help... luckily, the person serving the food pointed me to a small bowl of previously-frozen hard-boiled eggs, so with a banana and the glop they call oatmeal, it was enough. The next day they served an omelet, so I was OK. They had all-day coffee (which meant for a happy hubby!) but no afternoon cookies (unhappy hubby).

The front desk people were definitely the best thing about the hotel. Very nice and friendly, really sweet, tried to help-- and when we had a dead car battery, and asked to use their phone to call AAA, one of them stepped in and even gave us a boost! Way beyond call of duty.
Pool was warmer than bathwater and small, but not quite warm enough to be a hot tub-- no desire to swim in it (a nice touch, though, were the bathrooms by the pool). We went to the beach, which was MUCH nicer (our tip: turn onto 16th street, there was free parking and beach access with life guards, lovely sand; it's south of where all the shops, etc are, though).

We got our room for a good price, so we were a bit disappointed that it wasn't a real Hampton Inn, but the experience was pretty much in line with the price we paid. If the hotel were one price point lower, the experience would be as expected and not disappointing at all. We were only there for a weekend that was filled with family events so were barely in the room; as a result, the limitations weren't so bad.

Room Tip: Sixth floor was quiet Ground floor would be very noisy-- the elevators are halfway down the hallway...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I usually stay in the Hampton Inn chain, as I find them clean and comfortable. I will never stay in this one again!
The room was ok (not great) clean wise, but the ceiling was covered in mildew/mold, and there was severe water damage that was apparent in the ceiling and walls. The bathroom looked like it was falling to pieces. Now to be fair, the sheets smelled of detergent, and were obviously clean, but the general state of the room was unpleasant, especially with a child who has been known to have asthma symptoms. There was also something wrong with the air conditioner, apart from the unbelievable loudness, we couldn't get it to warm(!) the room. Fyi, I stayed in summer but the room was like a meat locker. We ended up having to just turn it off.
Breakfast was mediocre at best, burnt food, and oatmeal so stodgy you couldn't actually get it off the serving spoon. The robust coffee, was however, as good as all Hampton Inn's.

I booked this particular hotel, because I thought I'd stayed there before. But I think I must have stayed in the Holiday Inn over the road. Try there instead, or one of the many cheaper places around there to stay. Maybe it was just this one room, but I doubt it...

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Somewhere in MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

After reading previous trip advisor reviews, I knew not to expect a five star property. The hotel is currently undergoing renovations, we received an updated room. The room was nice, but we had two complaints:
1. The air conditioner is extremely loud.
2. The ceiling above our bathtub leaked, bad.

We let the management know about the leaking ceiling in our bathroom and he assured us he would credit our hotel stay back to my husbands accounts (we used points for the room).

Standard continental breakfast but the hot items switch from day to day (western omeletts & bacon one day, scrambled eggs and yummy potatoes the next). You can make your own waffles, customize your oatmeal, eat some fresh fruit or try some danish.

Pool is located out back - did not use because of the amount of crepe myrtle flower buds floating in the pool.

Location is ok. If you don't have a car, you're out of luck. The only thing within walking distance are other hotels (the two next door have restaurants) and there's a Dave & Busters. You can drive to St. John's Town Center or downtown within minutes.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I usually love to stay at Hampton Inns. This one was okay, but not as clean as I'm used to. My 1st room smelled strongly of mildew, and my second room's a/c wasn't really working. It was very low cost, so if you're passing through and only have to stay one night, it'd be okay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family