“Perfect for a stay on the way”

Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville
Ranked #98 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed May 22, 2008

We stayed here on our way to South Florida - had to fly into Jacksonville and drive.

Served our purpose perfectly. Traveling with 5, including teenagers. Room was in great shape, plenty of space.

We misunderstood breakfast hours and arrived late. The staff was very helpful in finding us something to eat. Very good service.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville

Reviewed April 28, 2008

I have never received that type of service that I received at this hotel. I will never stay or refer anyone to the hotel. I called the front desk to advise them of the musky smell in the room. The front staff person came and brought me some freeze and said that she would wait while I use it to make sure that she would get it back. I called to advise that the air conditioner was not not working and was told that if I did not have over 4 guests in my room than I would be able to feel the air. At the time there was only for 3 occupants. When someone finally showed up, the air was not working becuase it was frozen. A few minutes later I received a phone call from the operations Manager Latoya Jerido who was very rude and advised that I had over 6 guest which were outside of the room,I tried several times to explain that there was on 6 occupants and that we have not left the room,I tried to advise that she could verify that with the staff person who had just left the room, she continued to tell me that she was home and would personally come to the hotel to put me out. I tried to explain that the people below me were outside and over occupied.She continued to over talk me and I hung up and went to the front.Latoya called the front desk and I spoke with her again and tried to explain that it was not the room I was in and should could verify that with her staff,She continued to yell in the phone that she would put me out,she advised my guest's and I to go into the room and do not come out. She hung up in my face. As I was still standing at the front desk in shock by what was happening. The occupants of the room beneath ours came in and clarified that indeed it was her and her guests outside and that she advised them prior to making the reservation that she would be having a party of 10-15 people. We never received an apology from the Operations Manager Latoya, My guest and I decided to go to a bar and grill verses staying at the hotel. We did not receive any type of discount. I will never refer or stay at this location again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2007

Okay, I will admit I was torn between a 3 and 4 star rating for this hotel and in other circumstances I might give it a 3. We considered the Homewood Suites - Jacksonville South and came here solely based on price. I brought my family here to keep me company on a business trip and spend a long weekend. It turned out the hotel was about a block from my client which was great, and 3 miles from a very nice indoor mall (Avenues) where they could hang out while I was meeting for a couple of hours.

On the upside, the staff has been really great. We paid for a 2-bedroom one night and used points for the other two. They kept us in the same room even though a reward redemption is technically only for a 1-bedroom. Breakfast was good and dinners, while not impressive, were free and free is good. The location is really solid relative to shopping, food, freeway and a lot of businesses. There are driveways both onto the main street and a sidestreet with a traffic light to turn left onto the main street which sounds trivial until you have to spend an hour trying to turn left. Our room could have been cleaner and better maintained, especially the carpets, but overall was fine. Cable channels were great for us. Even though it is on a main street, our room (231) was plenty quiet.

I spend over 100 nights/year in hotels so here's my downside critique. I'm disappointed that many of the things people wrote about in reviews 2 years ago are still present. The onsite pond with fountain was completely algaed over. The property itself is in need of a lot of maintenance. I did not think the bed (or any other furnature) was particularly comfortable. Internet is wired rather than wireless and only in the living room. Kitchen does not have an oven (which is only bad because there is a Pepperidge Farm outlet very close and it would have been great to eat turnovers). The grounds are clearly being worked on but could use a lot more. Lots of weeds where there should be plants, mulch missing, plants that should be pruned, etc.

As I said, for us this worked well. Since the new Homewood Suites was $70/night more, I would stay here again if paying with my own money. If I was using points or company money, I would probably try the new one.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2007

As grandparents traveling with our daughter, son-in-law & our 6 grandchildren ages 2-12, we found it almost impossible to find overnight accommodations that would allow 5 persons to a room. The Homewood was one of the few exceptions. We booked two suites each with one bedroom (with 2 double beds) and a pull-out couch. We were very please with our rooms that were very clean! The complimentary breakfast was fantastic - scrambled eggs, fresh waffles, sausage, bacon, cereal, muffins, juice, etc. All the children found their favorites! When you have 10 people to feed a nourishing breakfast at a restaurant, it really adds up! (The large "restaurant style" room was very homey and inviting.) We did not use the other facilities (pool, etc.) as we were out sightseeing all day. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had requested both rooms non-smoking. We obviously received one that previously was a smoking room & when we mentioned this at check-out, we were given a "very generous" reduction in our bill! We felt more than compensated. We were also able to use our senior discount to book both rooms at a savings! Our only complaint would be the "size" of the parking spots (free!) which were extremely tight & difficult to exit/enter the vehicle.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank grammatay
Reviewed April 17, 2006

My husband and I and our two boys along with my mother, sister, and her three kids stayed here in July 2005. We all thought that this place was just great. The rooms were clean and spacious. The pool and hot tub were clean and enjoyed very much by all of us.The best parts were the hot breakfast every morning and the manager's reception dinners Mon-Thur.all included in your room rate. They had just about anything you'd want for breakfast- Belgian waffles,eggs,bacon,sausage,fruit,bagles-it was great.The reception dinners were just as great and included wine and beer. We stayed at the one on Baymeadows road and are planning to stay at the one at St. John Center when we go back this year. This one is in a big outdooor mall. We visited the mall last year and it is great. Restraunts and shops all in walking distance of the hotel- Heavan. Homewood Suites -Jacksonville is great.The Miller-Davis Families-Covington,Va.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank jodami67
A TripAdvisor Member
jacksonville, FL
Reviewed March 13, 2006

Hotel has a very nice staff - but it is old and needs to be updated. There are no standards when it comes to the rooms. Also, the Hish Speed internet does not work well - for business guests this is an issue.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reston, VA
Reviewed February 12, 2006

This was our first stay in a Homewood Suites and I must say it was extremely disapointing. Definitely not the quality I expected from the Hilton brand and not worth the rate they are charging.

The pool at this hotel is terrible. They really need to dig it up and put in a new one.

The room we stayed in smelled awful and the furniture is also in bad need of replacement.

• Stayed: January 2006