Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville
Reviewed February 22, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Reviewed February 20, 2013

When I stayed here the hotel was still going through a transition, but it was a real nice place for the price we payed.The rooms are all in separate buildings so the hallways could have some work done they are pretty bare. Also, the TV wasn't working properly when we go there, the front desk is far since all the rooms are in separate buildings so if we needed anything or to change a room, or forgot something or want to get to breakfast, we had to get in the car and drive all the way around which was the only real downfall. But the bathrooms are real nice and the beds are comfortable, I didn't get to enjoy the amenities but maybe next time I can.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel and its staff have been through a very difficult transition, from the Hilton chain to the Wyndham. The inevitable difficulties were, however, miimized by an excellent local staff, who made every effort to make the guests comfortable. For the last two years, I have stayed in this facility more than any other guest, having been named "Guest of the Year" in 2011. There had previously been too many management changes, but the current general manager, Janet Lee, is outstanding.

One criticism of this hotel is the poor quality of the dinner, which is part of their advertised amenities. They could improve the menu significantly. A second item is their policy to not deliver a newspaper (which is supplied in the lobby) to the guest rooms. Considering my frequency of stay, I would expect this to be done daily, which is typical of the upscale hotel chains (even Holiday Inn's Candlewood Suites does this!). They did this for years, and then abruptly stopped, with the rationale that "it created too much trash," which is ridiculous. Last, when you have neighbors in the room above or next door, you feel like you are in the same room with them. The construction of the buildings appears to be very cheaply done, with little soundproofing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel New Years Eve. I rented the fireplace suite for a nice romantic evening after we came back to the hotel after our NYE party.
There was a cockroach belly up in the kitchen, a few strips of toilet paper left on the roll (housekeeping should've just changed it) and no log in the fireplace.
I call the front desk to inform then I had no log and would like to get one. We were told by the front desk that they don't have access to get a log and ill have to wait until tomorrow morning.
I advise her we are checking out in the am. We point out we paid more for a fireplace room and its ridiculous that there was no log in the fireplace. She proceeds to ask why we are so concerned about the log and asks why doesn't out thermostat work? WHAT?!?!? That's not the point.
I requested a message be left for the manager. It wasn't.
When I went to check out I asked for a manager and was told there wasn't one. I asked for a message to be left and to be contacted by a manager. I have not been. I asked to be refunded a portion or compensated for the inconvenience of not being able to enjoy the room like intended. I was told they cannot do that.
I've stayed at this hotel before and never had a problem but I will not stay here again because 1. I cannot get over the ignorant comment made by the night front desk person asking what the big deal was and didn't our thermostat work and 2. Refusal to send this issue to a manager 3. As a silver member, which means I stay at Hilton hotels a lot, I was by greeted or treated like other Hilton Hotels do with a thank you an welcome back.
I must add that we did get late checkout which was 1pm - but that is typical of a Hilton Hotel. When I did got to checkout I did ask the front desk if I could extend that until 1:30pm and they did agree.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Meanderin
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I always stay at Hilton properties when ever possible and Homewood Suites are my favorite. On a 10-scale I have never found a Homewood Suites score less than 6 and many score as high as 10. This hotel scores a 7 in my opinion and with a few slight improvements it could become a 9. Here are my opinions of this property:

Good: Room cleanliness is above average but it has been too long since the drapes and bed sprads have been laundered. The bed was VERY comfortable and the bed linens were clean. The full sized fridg was very nice but please see "Poor" regarding the balance of the kitchen.

Fair: The price for this room is slightly over the room quality and hotel amenities for a weekend rate. If the "Managers Reception" were stretched to include weekends this property would enjoy a much higher rating. Internet connectivity is slow and the room did not have an nistruction card how to sign on.

Poor: Water pressure in the bathroom is poor forcing residents to stay longer in the shower to rinse off. I did not appreciate the note telling me that sheets would be changed every 3 days. I am sure that meant for guests staying that long or longer but I found myself wondering if that meant calendar days regardless of who stayed in that room. All of the kitchen dishes were in the dishwasher and the cabinet front for the kitchen sink was missing so the garbage disposal and ploumbing were evident and nasty looking.

Room Tip: This Homewood Suites is an "Inside Access" hotel so all guests must go through the lobby...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2012

The staff at this hotel is wonderful and will go above and beyond. The hotel itself is showing its age, but it is extremely clean. Hilton should really put out the money to renovate and live up to the excellent management. I have stayed here multiple times and not noticed the road noise, but this time it kept me awake most of the night. This is the first time I've stayed on the third floor or in a room with a balcony, so maybe that made a difference. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for the excellent service, but if you are a light sleeper ask for a room facing the courtyard and without a balcony.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We were hoping to find a new hotel in Jacksonville. We come to Jax alot. The hotel we've been using for years had been changing and not for the better... So we checked into the Homewood Suites on the next trip and were pleasantly surprised. The property is pretty nice and the service was good. They were pet friendly which was a definite plus. Although we had no problems, security was visible late into the night and very early in the mornings. We've stayed here two more times since the initial visit and the customer service has been consistent. Management is very welcoming! We look forward to spending many nights there.

Room Tip: I always stay on a ground floor with my pets and close to exit doors so as not to bother other guest...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family