“Not like home.”

Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville
Ranked #98 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Let me start by saying that we choose Hilton properties 9 out of 10 times, and if Homewood Suites is an option where we need to be, it's our go-to brand. This is the 6th Homewood Suites that we've stayed at in the past 2 years and by far the bottom of the barrel! We stayed in the first building, room 122 and it was horrible. It smelled old and musty and it's proximity to the road made for 2 very loud nights. Unfortunately, very loud neighbors with obvious domestic issues arrived in the middle of our second night and their yelling and slamming of doors added nothing but torture to the existing bad situation. To most, the easy thing would be to call the front desk and ask to move, but when you're traveling with a 2.5 year old, that's not the most convenient option. We were very alarmed when we were approached at our car by what appeared to be a homeless drug addict asking for money, very scary situation when you're holding a baby in your arms and you're relying on your hotel to provide security. I realize that the property has undergone renovations and it's not that it doesn't look nice, it's just that many things were overlooked and the property is tired and worn out. Out of every Homewood Suites we have ever stayed at, this was the first with exterior corridors which we decided was the reason so many of the problems exist. It has a very "motel" feel and that's not what I'm looking for when I'm traveling with my family. The location was good, very easy access to I-95. Had potential, but we won't be back. We just felt like we were at a "shady, unsafe motel that smelled bad."

Room Tip: NOT room 122!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Westerly34, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2012

Dear Nextstop_somewhere,

Thank you for staying at my hotel and I am sorry we were unable to exceed your expectations. You and I have had several email communications since your departure. But I need to point out that during your stay you never contacted a Team member or management to alert us of your issues. Unless we are informed of a problem we can not fix the problem. In our correspondence you stated you did not contact the front desk about your issues that you expected us to know what is going on at every moment and not rely on a guest to report an issue.
It is unfortunate you had the experience you did in the parking lot with the panhandler but this is a very rare occurrence, but again if you had told someone he was in the parking lot we would have investigated it, called the roving security company or even the police but we were not advised and unable to assist.
This hotel will under go a major renovation beginning the second quarter of this year; the tired look will be remedied and we will have the most up to date hotel in the market by September. I truly hope you will give us a try when in the area next fall, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

On four trips driving between NY and south FL this year and 2011, this has been our favorite place to stay a night - Hilton Homewood Suites at 8737 Baymeadows Road, Jacksonville, Fl.
Clean, efficient, comfortable; the suites are furnished with everything you need and well-designed with a bath and dressing-room, bedroom, and den/kitchen/dining area separated from the bedroom by twin doors - useful if, like us, you have a sometimes yowling cat.
The staff is friendly, tv, internet, and breakfast very good. The hotel is handsome and just off I-95.

Room Tip: try for a first floor room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LIwren

Dear Llwren,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your lodging needs while transiting the Jacksonville area. Your recent letter to me was very much appreciated and I shared it with my entire Team during our morning huddle.
I look forward to your next vist.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

We stayed at the Homewood Suites for 3 nights, wow what a great place to stay. Rooms were exceptionally clean and well provided, high end furniture and linens. Loved the idea that a hot breakfast was served and two of our nights there supper was served. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Barnie9
Westerly34, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

Dear Barnie9,

Thank you for your very kind comments and enthusiastic review. Your comments were shared with my entire team today and they responded with a loud cheer.

See you next time you are passing through Jacksonville, Florida.

Russell Brown CHA

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Wonderful staff, all the way around. Every night, every shift! I have 3 out of the 4 names
of the personell that were on shift, let me just than Samuel Hussey, Melissa Elgersma, John Grand Gerard for making every request happen. Rarely do I go to a hotel, and find awesome service over the phone, and in person. Thank you for taking good care of me on my business trip!

Room Tip: 425 was mostly quiet
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Westerly34, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

Dear Smtlr14,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your lodging needs while in Jacksonville, FL. My Team and I take great pride in providing every guest with exceptional service before, during and after their stay if needed.

Thank you for your very kind comments; they will be shared with the Team during our next morning Huddle.

Reviewed January 31, 2012

Selected this hotel because we love Homewood Suites and the location was easy from I 95. The room was perfect. Hotel personnel were helpful and friendly. Breakfast included a nice variety of hot and cold selections nicely presented. We would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hoosierhiker
Westerly34, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2012

Dear Hoosierhiker,

Thank you for your very nice review and kind words about my Team. We are very proud of our hotel and take great pride in offering service beyond our guest's expectations.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your lodging needs in Jacksonville, FL.

Russell

Reviewed January 19, 2012

This hotel exceeded all our expectations! We needed a two BR suite with one walk in shower for a 93 year old. The check in was very cordial and accomodating. The room
was very clean and the beds and pillows were fantastic! The hotel is just off I 95 and close to all shopping and restaurants. They provide an excellent nightly meal which was home cooked on the premises with wine all of which are free. The free breakfast was also better than most places offer. The weather was bad so we did not use the outdoor pool or jacuzzi.
There is a small fitness center and a business center. We have rebooked this hotel and feel we could not find a better place at the price offered! We would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Center court rooms are very quiet!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank edenpt
Westerly34, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

Dear edenpt,

Thank you for the very nice review and comments, it was a pleasure having you and your family stay with us. We all look forward to your next visit.

Warmest regards,

Russell

Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel while traveling over the holidays. The location is very convenient to I-95. The room was very clean and comfortable, especially the bed - we slept great! The staff were delightful, helpful and hospitable. The price for what you get is excellent. Whether just passing through Jacksonville or staying for multiple days you can't beat the comfort, convenience and price. And, we found a great Chinese Restaurant - Pagoda Chinese, just a couple blocks from the hotel.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are best - no elevators.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karen R
Westerly34, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2012

Dear Raylo,

Thank you for your great review and kind remarks. My staff and I take great pleasure in ensuring every guest has a wonderful experience.
I feel certain you will stay with us again the next time you are in the area. Please poke your head in my office next time around, I would ike to meet you.

Russell Brown, GM