“A good place to crash if the rates are low”

Wyndham Garden Jacksonville
Ranked #68 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed July 28, 2009

I received a rate of $29 on Hotwire. I just wanted something cheap because I don’t live far from Jacksonville and I had to be somewhere early. In addition, I have a cold and don’t feel like driving on strong medicine. Therefore, I decided to just stay the night in Jacksonville just in case I started feeling worse so I can get where I am going on time. For the rate of $29 it is excellent. The room although not huge is clean and adequate. It is decorated in 1980’s décor but, hey I can over look that for $29 a night. I found a few stray hairs in the bathroom which is very common in hotels. The bathroom counter was permanently stained but, it was clean. The bed in the room is a full size bed. It is fine but, the mattress is not a higher end firm brand like many hotels have now. The comforter, sheets and pillow are basic. The sheets were free of hairs and appeared clean. There is no refrigerator or microwave but, there is a coffee maker. Other then the people talking loud and making noise in the hallway on the way to their room it has been quiet.
The hotel has a pool, fitness center and sauna. However, there is a family reunion going on and the members are taking over the facilities so I am not able to rate it. The continental breakfast consisted of mostly toast, cereal, couple of pastries, frozen hard looking waffles, can fruit, white gravy with sausage in it, hard boiled eggs, and hard biscuits. There was also juice that comes out of a machine along with coffee. For $29 a night you can’t expect better.
The location is convenient to many areas in Jacksonville and it is right off of 95-South. If you are just looking for a clean comfortable place to crash then this place is more than adequate. This is not the type of place for special occasions or big functions. For the rate of $29 I would definitely stay here again if I am just looking for a place to crash. If the rates were $100 a night I would recommend staying somewhere else with better beds, and amenities.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed July 17, 2009

This hotel was a $29 deal on Hotwire, they gave me 1 queen bed at check-in, but I was not trying to deal with my son kicking me in my back all night or stealing the covers so I paid $10 to upgrade to 2 queens. I guess I didn't get one of those updated rooms other reviewers spoke of, this room was quite dated but it was very clean which is important. I wished it had a refrigerator as I am looking at a warm soda and bottled water as I type this. Only one elevator is working right now, so being that I'm on the 6th floor its a process. The pool was great, unheated of course, so we started to freeze as the sun went down. The sauna was locked and we didn't even feel like trying to find out how to get it opened. Overall, just what we needed for 1 night. Best thing bout this place? Dave & Busters is right across me.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2009

I brought my girlfriend down to Jacksonville, for her birthday. It was the first time she and I had been to Florida together - much less the northern part of the state. The trip was part of a cheaply comprised package on Travelocity. We stayed over the weekend and I dare say that I was really very surprised by the find. Yes, it was quite a distance from the airport; but well worth the drive. This place is so close to I-95 and all of the finds up and down the way, that I really found it to be more than worth the money I paid. The hotel was clean, quiet and all of the staff was helpful and friendly. There were quite a few (former) NY'ers in the building too; so it was like being home. The best part about it is the parking out front and the fact that Dave & Buster's is literally a 5 minute walk up the road from the hotel's main entrance. My brother's birthday is next month. I have already booked our trip, we'll have two rooms here; would not have booked the trip - unless this hotel was available. My only drawback from the last trip was the fact that the bed did not come across as being a "true" Queen. It seemed to be somewhere in between a Full and a Queen in size. Other than that, the hotel gets my vote and is high on my favorite list.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2009

The room was pleasantly clean and comfortable, and it was a bonus to have a refrigerator in the room.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2009

We stayed 4 nights at the Best Western JTB/Southpoint. Overall, we were pleased. Lobby looks like it was updated with marble floors. Overall, room appearance was nice. Bathroom was updated with granite countertop. First room bath tub did not drain. Two days later we switched to another room. It looked nearly identical. Both rooms had relatively soft mattresses (we like firm mattresses). Hotel filled to near 100% capacity on the weekend. Free breakfast was good - danish, waffles, fruit. One day they had hard boiled eggs, grits and bisquits. One day they offered scrambled eggs and sausage. Also, had cold cereal, oatmeal, coffee, juice, hot chocolate. Outdoor pool was cold. Did not appear heated. No hot tub available. Free computer in lobby area crashed a few times. Most front desk personnel we encountered were not that friendly or welcoming as one might expect. Free parking. The location is in a safe and nice corporate park area, next door to several other hotel chains. Next to I-95 and 202 highways. About 10 minutes to downtown, 25 minutes to JAX airport, about 25 minutes to the beaches, and 45 minutes to St. Augustine and Amelia Island. Very convenient. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2009

I stayed for 4 days in this hotel. It is very clean, and provides good value: free wireless and wired internet, free continental breakfast (it is OK), free parking. The location is in a safe and nice area, just about 10-15 minutes to downtown, 20-30 minutes to the beaches, and 40-50 minutes to St. Augustine.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2008

It is a neat and clean hotel. Beds are comfortable. The only bad thing that happened to us is the Front Desk person who checked us in was very rude to us.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)