“3 night stay”

Ranked #62 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Florahome
“3 night stay”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed there the weekend of the Jacksonville Country Superfest. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The only complaint I had is the bathroom is kind of small. the breakfast was ok. Not the best I have ever had. They need a waffle make not frozen waffles.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Williamam B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I want to recognize the employee Roman Osnayo who was helping me during my time in the hotel, I appreciate his valuable time to service me when I asked for help. He made my day when nobody there pay attention to me. He has excelent customer service, I really appreciate that. I would say yes I will coming back because you.Thanks Roman.

Room Tip: rooms are ok and quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
BestWesternJTB, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Jacksonville, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Ms. Rosa:

Please accept my gratitude for recognizing our team member, Roman, on doing an outstanding job for our property. We have so many team members like Roman, such as Shirley Pillow our housekeeping director, Kim, one of our lead front desk agents and Tony, one of our engineers that do a fantastic job in leading our associates in being the best that they can be and giving 1000% to ensure that guests such as yourself enjoy your stay at the hotel and have an outstanding experience. Sometimes travelers forget that oversights can occur and rush to point out and exaggerate things; it is so rewarding to know that you took valuable time out of your personal day to recognize and congratulate a hospitality team member on simply doing what our leaders have trained them to do and what our team takes pride in doing...providing for the happiness and comfort of our guests.

Ms. Rosa, thank you for taking the time today to share this with us. I have shared this with our staff, who all take great pride in their jobs and want each and every guest to leave with a smile on their faces and great memories of their visit to Jacksonville.

You did not mention what brings you to our city, but I hope that you will come back and become a part of our many, many happy repeat guests who visit us every time they are in Jacksonville.

Many good wishes on your travels and many your journeys take you to all the happy places you want to visit.

Yours in hospitality,
The Team Members and Management of the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint
Madera, California, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Uncleaned sheets and linens!! Cockroaches in the room!! Reception did not seem to care about these issues. I think they just hope you don't notice that they are not up to par and just go your merry way. Enough said!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Richard C
Dear Mr. Richard C,

It is always disheartening to read a review such as yours as the members of the hotel staff work diligently to provide for an excellent experience. It is even more disheartening to know that the facts are not presented to the reader in an accurate manner from the reviewer. In hospitality, we strive to make our guests welcome and contradicting someone, particularly in a public forum, in not what we want to do; however when the facts are not fully disclosed, I find that I must respond to a review in a different manner than I normally would.

Please allow me to thank you for patronizing the Best Western brand. As a member of the association I appreciate you as a customer. The circumstances of your stay did not meet the guidelines we would like a guest to experience. The issue you state with an insect is not what we want a guest to experience. But the full picture must be presented. The insect you found in your studio suite was not a cockroach and you were informed of this by the agent when you brought it to the desk. The insect is a palmetto bug, which is a flying insect that is native to Florida and lives in palm trees. While not optimal, they do occasionally find their way into a guest room from the outside on luggage or though a vent. To ensure that this was the case, we contacted our pest control provider and Orkin did verify this was an isolated incident and that it was as we informed you, a palmetto bug.

Our staff was very concerned for your comfort. We take a great deal of pride in our hotel and it certainly is a labor of love for all of us here as our facility is recognized by many of our valued guest as exceptionally maintained. Our associate worked to make your stay an enjoyable one and I am very sorry if you felt that the agent assisting was not empathic to your issues. I know from speaking with him the morning of your departure, that he worked to assist you that morning and when a guest presents an issue to us after the fact our options for resolution are limited. While I personally inspected your suite it is not possible to determine if an issue with linen existed as you had used the bedding. From personal observation of other areas of the suite, it did appear that housekeeping had performed properly in those areas. As you know, you were not charged for your accommodations as our goal is always to provide for the comfort of our guests.

I hope that your travel back to your native California was a pleasant one and I wish you a lifetime of success and pleasant journeys.

Regards,
The General Manager of the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint
Naples, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2014

The most lackluster of any Best Western I have stayed in. Access was very easy from I-95 (egress, not so much). There was only one person at the front desk when we arrived late afternoon for a middle of the week overnight stay, so there was a bit of a wait to check-in. The first room we were assigned was 422. On our way there we passed the vending area where we observed that the floor was being torn up and the ice machine was pulled toward the center of the alcove – a very unattractive sight that assured I wouldn’t be getting anything from the area. The room was very noticeably bland. There was a table in the room with two sitting chairs (no desk) and the pole light in the corner of the room was inoperative. There was also a very strong odor of chlorine in the room. We attempted to turn on the bathroom fan to try to draw some of the smell from the room but discovered that the fan didn’t work either. Still, we tried to stick it out. But, after about a half hour I realized that my eyes were burning from the chlorine and my wife complained that the smell was overpowering near the bathroom. By this time I had a headache which was, perhaps, chemically induced. My wife had kicked off her Crocs and realized that there was a wet spot in front of the bathroom door and we wondered if someone had stood there with pool water dripping off of them or if wet towels and bathing suits may have been piled in the spot. That was the last straw so we called the front desk to complain. To her credit, and without hesitation, the clerk asked us to come back downstairs to be reassigned to a new room. The new room was 605 (top floor, facing east). Although the décor was similarly nondescript, we did notice that the room contained a small refrigerator and microwave. Both rooms were clean but the carpeting and furnishings are decades old and in desperate need of a makeover. All of the fixtures, including the bathroom fan, were operational. We went out to dinner with friends arriving back to the room late and very tired so I slept soundly. However, come early morning I was awakened first by the sound, and feel, of doors near us slamming shut. The several, sequential closings were loud and each caused the walls of our room to vibrate significantly (I later determined that this is caused by hinge springs in the doors that close them with authority). Being thus roused from my lethargy, I reluctantly opened my eyes to direct sunlight streaming around the edges of the barely adequate curtains, and my back was hurting from the too hard mattress. So, ready or not, I got up and showered. The water was hot and the pressure was good. The breakfast room was only large enough for the crowd jammed inside and the fare was adequate at best. The eggs were some sort of prepared substance poured into small round shapes that I initially mistook for some sort of johnnycake. The small waffles resembled something you would pop into a toaster at home (only smaller), the “juice” was just watered-down orange drink, the coffee was extra strong, and the biscuits beneath the thick gravy were overcooked (not quite burned) on the bottom and impervious to the plastic knife and fork that I tried to cut them with. Had it not been for the individually packaged yogurt, I would have left the room hungry. My overall rating of this hotel would be “meh.” I could take it or leave it. It may be average for hotels just off an interstate highway in a big city, but, in my humble opinion, it is not up to par compared to other Best Westerns I have stayed in. If I’m ever back in this neighborhood again I will likely check out either the Marriott or the Holiday Inn Express next door.

Room Tip: A room on the upper floor might be better maintained than one on a lower floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank JEddleman
Dear Mr. Eddleman,

Please accept my appreciation for having stayed with us. We value your patronage and can tell that you are indeed a discriminating traveler.

I would like to thank you for the recognition you have bestowed upon our team for our cleanliness standards. Our facility uses Proctor and Gamble along with Clorox products. Our Clorox Clean-Up product does contain a mild form of chlorine in order to control mildew and sanitize our bathrooms. I do regret that you found this offensive. We are looking at a new Tide product that we hope will provide the same results without any odor.

Our facility undergoes regular renovations and we did receive new furnishings which do have a retro-look to them. I know that everyone has differing opinions on design and decor and I understand that perhaps this style may not appeal to everyone; I do though appreciate your thoughts on this. I will pass this onto the design team for the next renovation phase.

I do hope to see you back again and I know that for a value for value basis, guests staying with us save on average 40-60% over the Marriott and IHG brands you mention in your review. Guests wanting an exceptional value always select us and we hope that you will continue to be one of those guests.

Wishing you many happy travels and safe experiences...
The Hospitality Team Members of the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I booked with expedia and paid somewhere around $60 for one night in a double queen room. The room was clean the beds were comfortable. The furniture and tv were nice and updated. The breakfast was very busy but the staff kept plenty of options available. There are biscuits, eggs, gravy, cereal, yogurt, and pastries. The front desk staff and maids were also friendly. I didn't have time to use the pool or gym.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chelseasly
Ormond Beach, FL
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We booked a room for 3 nights with Hotwire who had given this dump 3 stars. When we arrived at the hotel, we checked in and went to our room. It only had one queen bed. We were working and needed either a king or two beds in order to sleep. We tried to change rooms and the price more than doubled. Hotwire was no help in changing the room. So we decided to go ahead and pay the more than double price and they moved us to a different room. This room had two beds and that is about the only good thing we can say about the room. The carpet was stained, the shower curtain was so small, that when you took a shower, the entire bathroom floor was covered in water which probably is why there was mildew on the carpet by the bathroom door. There was not a refrigerator or microwave and the TV was setting in front of mirror. We could hear the TV in the room next door. The hallway smelled like bug spray. We only stayed one night. This place would be a very iffy 2 star. We travel a lot in our business (at least twice a month) and never had an experience like this. Needless to say, we will never stay at a Best Western again. Nor we will ever trust Hot Wire's assessment of a hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Janice-Bob
BestWesternJTB, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Jacksonville, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear Valued Guest, Janice and Bob:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for providing you opinion of the reservation process with Expedia and HOTWIRE and the booking of your guest room with our hotel. I would first like to apologize that you believe that your booking was not as you were led to believe by the booking site. I know that the Internet booking process through Third Party Online Booking agencies can be confusing to the casual traveler. Perhaps you are not aware that Expedia routed your reservations through to HOTWIRE as they have started a process that only became know to us in May where they will routes visitors to their Expedia website to the HOTWIRE booking engine, which they also own. HOTWIRE operates as a confidential booking site meaning that you are buying a room (bed) type of THEIR choice and you as the consumer have no control over what HOTWIRE purchases for you on your behalf. They do this to achieve more savings on their negotiated rates. Having reviewed your reservations, HOTWIRE reserved a "Run of House" room for you. This standard room type they reserved for you is a room with one queen size bed, not two beds. Although we were sold out, our staff was able to move you to your desired room type. I know that at the time of arrival the guest services agent did inform you that a service charge would apply for your stay. However the following morning upon reviewing your situation and booking, I personally reversed all charges to your credit card and you were not billed any additional fees for your May 29th stay with us. It would not be proper for you to be penalized for something that is Expedia's responsibility and should have made you aware of and on their behalf I apologize as well.

I also inspected your guest room and I did find a small coffee stain by the waste can at the credenza and another at the bathroom door. Please accept my sincerest apologies for this slip up on our housekeeping staff. I have brought this to the attention of our housekeeping director and she has taken the proper corrective action to ensure this does not happen in the future. Regarding the fragrance in the hall, the floor you were located on (1st) does open to our lobby and we do have a fragrance that freshens the air; I do regret that you found this not to your liking. It is similar to fragrances in other brands and is used to provide an ambiance effect for our guests.

I did reach out to you during your visit to Jacksonville and I still welcome the opportunity to speak with you. It would be our pleasure to have you as a guest of our hotel and hope that we have the good fortune to do so in the near future.

May you have safe journeys in all your travels...

Your dedicated hospitality team at the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint
Brandon, Florida
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I love staying here. I always feel safe and comfortable. It is a great location with easy access to I-95. Rooms are always clean and the staff is great. They are always friendly and helpful. They have a nice hot breakfast also.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Ms. Kim....

Please allow me to thank you for being one of our valued repeat guests. We love our Best Western Southpoint Family of Guests and we are humbled that you choose us when you visit our city.

We look forward to having you back in our hotel in the near future. We appreciate hearing about your experience and our team truly strives to provide this experience for all of our guests. Hearing about yours, makes our efforts all the more rewarding.

Many happy travels!