“Friendly staff, clean rooms, great breakfast!”

Wyndham Garden Jacksonville
Ranked #68 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed at the Best Western for 2 nights in March. The stay was for Business and was wonderful from the start. There were a bunch of people checking in at the same time, but they got to us quickly. We booked with Hotwire, who they gave us single, but we needed double beds, and they also fixed this swiftly. It was Wednesday, and they had some free snacks and beverages for us in the lobby. The breakfast and coffee was great, also. Could probably organize the breakfast area better, it got kinda crowded. But overall A+

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
BestWesternJTB, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Good Day!

Please accept our heartfelt thanks for your compliments and rating of an "A+" of our hotel during your recent stay with us.

Reviews and comments like this are shared with our staff members and serve as a great
point of reinforcement of why we take care with respect to our guests and should always put forth the highest effort possible to insure a great guest stay.

We look forward to having you as our guest in the future and providing you with a rewarding and comfortable hospitality experience.

Yours in hospitality...
The BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint family

Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for one week while visiting family. The hotel is clean but we had several problems. They serve breakfast from 0630 to 0930 which is ok but when they run out of food at 0900 they do not replace it. I asked several times for food at 0905 and was told no. They ran out of plates as well and told us to use tea cup saucer size plates. The whole hotel smells of smoke even though most of it is suppose to be smoke free. Every time we turned on the bathroom light the fan came on and brought even more smoke into the room. The room next door had a dog and when they left it and went out the dog barked the whole time they were gone. One of the elevators was broken most of the time we were there and we had to use the stairs due to the hotel being booked. They had several team sports people there and the teenagers were going up and down the hall knocking on each others doors at all hours. The hotel did nothing to make them quiet or the dog in the room next to us. The only good thing was the sauna the pool was ok but it was very cool it is not heated.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
BestWesternJTB, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2012

Thank you for your compliments regarding our cleanliness of the hotel. We value your comments. I have noted some of your concerns and I appreciate being able to have the opportunity to discuss those with you.

Of our 183 guest rooms, only 17 of those rooms are smoking leaving 93% of the hotel as NON-Smoking. For our guest convenience, we do maintain only 2 areas which allow smoking, a portion of our 3rd floor and a portion of our 1st floor are the only areas where we have smoking accommodations. If you were encountering a smoke odor within your guest room I do apologize that an inconsiderate guest may have been smoking in a non-smoking room. We do penalize guests with a $250 fine for smoking in rooms that are non-smoking and use the proceeds of that surcharge to conduct a through cleaning of the affected room. I do regret that another guest may have caused you discomfort.

The other area I am able to shed some light on is that of the issue with one of our elevators. One of our cars did go out of service on Saturday at approximately 10 am. This was due to a circuit contact switch that failed on the unit. We engage Mowrey Elevator, the manufacturer of the units under a service contract to maintain the elevators and service them. Despite their best attempts, they were unable to effect repairs on the unit until Monday morning when the contact could be obtained from their facility in Tallahassee. I know the elevator being out of service for a day and a half while the hotel was sold out was inconvenient but for safety reasons we could not in good conscious place the elevator back into service as the affected part was part of a fail safe system. I do apologize for the inconvenience of having only one elevator operating for the Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

We hope that your time with family went as planned and that you were able to see our beautiful city for all that we have to offer. I hope that you will allow us to host you again in the future and again thank you for your compliments regarding our cleanliness.

Your BEST WESTERN Hotel Team

Reviewed March 14, 2012

My husband needed to have cataract surgery in Jacksonville(2wks ago). We live 50miles away so we decided to get a room near the doctor's office for after the surgery (and he one day post op was at 8am the next day). When they do these surgeries, they do one eye at a time. So after the first surgery was over, I hadn't realized we would be done so early(11am). I went to the hotel to see if we could get an early check-in, maybe around 1pm or 2pm & figured hubby would just rest in our truck in the parking lot until we could get in. At the front desk, Toni asked if she could help me & I asked her if there was an early check-in. She stated, "let me see what I can do" While she was looking we made small talk & she asked what brought me to Jax. I explained the situation & she said "I can check you in now". I was amazed!! I couldn't have thanked her enough!!
When going to check out the following day, there were some guys looking for a golf course & Richard was trying his best to look up directions. It just so happens that the course was right up from my home so I stepped in & helped him out :) The guys happily went about their day & I was able to check out. Richard (I believe that's his name) was very nice & thanked me for helping him out. He also made a comment about my jacket - it says "Proud Mom of a US Soldier" - He said to thank my son for his service...which means a lot to a military parent/spouse/child - it really made my day & we made more small talk while he was checking me out. Come to find out he was also military :) So from the VERY start to the VERY end...this stay was phenomenal!
Soooo...when hubby needed his 2nd eye done yesterday I, of course, booked a room at this hotel again! This time it was for 2 nights LOL so we didn't have to worry about another 'early check-in' :) And, again, our stay was great! I couldn't have asked for a better staff. The hotel is comfortable & clean.
The ONLY thing I would change is to not have non-smoking rooms intermingled with the smoking rooms as the halls really smell like smoke. We didn't have this problem on our first stay (4th floor) but we only noticed it on the 2nd stay (3rd floor) only because hubby has severe asthma. It was no major problem since you couldn't even tell we were on a smoking floor once we were in our room :) it was fresh smelling & clean. I know I could have probably said something & I'm positive my room would have been changed without an issue, but it was definitely something we could live with.
Thank you again for making this rather stressful time so much easier for us! We are definitely going to recommend your hotel in the future!
I also work in Savannah so occasionally stay overnight there...and the past 3 times, I've stayed at the Best Western on Bay Street & have always had the best service there as well! I cannot say enough good about either of these hotels.

Room Tip: ask for a non-smoking floor if you have breathing problems
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Magzilla

Greetings,

I can't tell you how nice it was to read your review about our property. And knowing that you have taken the time out of your schedule of caring for your husband after his surgery to post your comments about your stay with us makes it even more meaningful to us.

We do hope that all has turned out well for him; should he have follow up appointments we hope that we will get the opportunity to host you again.

On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, we want you to know that we do appreciate all that the families of our service members do in support of our troops. It makes us all proud of the honor that they bring to our country. Please accept our gratitude.

With sincere thanks and appreciation...
Your extended family at the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint

Reviewed March 9, 2012

I Have Stayed Here Multiple Times And Not Only Is The Hotel NICE, CLEAN, AND REASONABLE, Its Convenient,... BEST OF ALL... My Experience Has Been That. All of The People On Staff There Are Exceptional !!! I Would Not Stay Anywhere Else In JAX at This Point !

Room Tip: For the Price, The "KING" Rooms are Wonderful with very Comfy Beds
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Greetings!

Please accept the sincere appreciation and gratitude of our staff here at the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint for rating us a "Best Experience."

We value each and every guest and want all of our guests to have a pleasant and enjoyable stay! Our management team and staff takes a great deal of pride in our facility and our operation. Knowing that we made your stay enjoyable makes the lengths that we go to all worth it!

I hope to get the opportunity to see you on your next visit to our hotel! Don't forget on Wednesday night we feature our Manager's Reception with snacks, beer, wine and soda!

Your hospitality team at the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint

Reviewed March 7, 2012

We had never traveled with a pet before so a 1500-mile trip to see our daughter and her family in Florida became a challenge. Finding a "pet friendly" hotel that met our other qualifications for first class facilities, cleanliness and proximity to I 95 wasn't easy, but we found the perfect hotel in Jacksonville The staff was super-friendly, our Havanese pup Francie was given a dog biscuit and a welcome note (she's smart, but since she can't read, we read the note). When we went to dinner, we left our cell phone number with the staff in case there was a problem. Jacksonville, Florida has many medical facilities and I asked the desk clerk if the hotel recognized the importance of patients keeping their pets with them and she said that was a big consideration. Three cheers for the kindness and empathy shown by the hotel management and three cheers for a well-managed, comfortable full service hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to compliment our team here at our Best Western property. Our staff is very focused on providing for the needs of all of our guests, including our 4 legged ones! We know that these little guys are like family members to our travelers and we want them to enjoy their stay with us just like our human guests do!!

And, it may just be a little know fact but guests who travel with their little ones on a regular basis take excellent care of their little family members with regard to hygiene, grooming and health care. We always welcome these guests because we do know they consider theur little guys as part of their families and not just a "possession." It always give our staff great pleasure to see a smile on the face of our guests when their little ones get their very own welcome gift!

It was a pleasure to host you and I want you to know I have shared your comments with our team here. This inspires them to make our guests their Number 1 priority!

On behalf of our group of hospitality professionals, thank you for being our guest and allowing us to serve your lodging needs. We look forward to having you back with us in the future.

Yours in hospitality,
The Management and Staff of the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint

Reviewed March 4, 2012

My family and I came into town for a dance competition being held at UNF and needed a hotel just for a place to sleep and breakfast in the morning. After doing a lot of research and review of a preferred hotel list from UNF we decided that $75/night was reasonable. Big mistake! Upon check in I asked for a room that was not a "pet room". We were downgraded to a room without a refrigerator or microwave. There goes the leftovers from Buca's! The room was very old with the old style air conditioner that was so loud it kept me up most of the night. The next morning we went down for breakfast around 9am. The breakfast room was so full that there was a line out the door and no where to sit. There were so many people there that you could not get an elevator and we had to climb stairs to and from the fourth floor. We ended up spending $25 at McDonald's for breakfast. Next time, I will spend a little more and stay somewhere else for a not so jammed packed, old hotel.

Room Tip: I would suggest using the room the system assigns to you, especially if you are a rewards member.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
BestWesternJTB, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

Dear Ms. Edwards,

We value the input of all of our guests and the insight they bring to our team. I have taken a moment to review your reservations based on your comments. I see that you booked a AAA rate of $66 with our property in our Standard Queen with two beds. This particular room type does not offer a microwave and refrigerator as one of the amenities. We do have Premium Queens available which can be reserved when making a booking. You are a Rewards member, and whenever possible we do provide complimentary upgrades for our Best Western Reward guests to thank them for your membership and we did initially provide this for you. In speaking with the agent that checked you in, upon arrival you requested to be on the same floor as the rest of your daughter's team and on that floor a Premium room was not available and you chose to stay on the group floor. I certainly understand the desire to have a microwave and refrigerator, even if you are staying just one night and I regret that was not available on the group floor for you as we were sold out. While you were not downgraded, we weren't able to upgrade you as we would have liked due to your special location request.

Our property is regularly refurbished and I have noted your comment that you felt your room was "old." As you could see from our facility our property has recently been remodeled and updated throughout the facility, You room selection was updated in 2007 and is scheduled for refurbishment later this year as part of our 5 year program. We certainly value your comments and I have submitted your thoughts to our design team to insure they are considered when our program is initiated.

I do wish to apologize that you did not get to partake in our wonderful hot breakfast. As the host hotel for the Jacksonville Sharks of the Arena Football League, I believe the opposing team players may have chosen to eat at the same time that you did and that this was the line you are refering to. And while our hotel is always quite busy due to our high standards and quality of accommodations and service, it is most unusual to see a line like the one you describe as most individuals come down throughout the morning to dine and not all at one time. This sounds like a group that decided to eat together and thus caused a short but untimely back up in our dining room. I sincerely regret the inconvenience this caused you and I assure you this is not the norm.

Ms. Edwards, as you just live over the State line, I would like to invite you back to our hotel in the future. I would be happy to work with you and find just the right room for you with the amenities you require. It would be our pleasure to be able to provide you with the hospitality we are known for.

Yours in hospitality,
The BEST WESTERN Management Team

Reviewed March 3, 2012

I only stayed one night at the Best Western Southpoint but it is a nice hotel. The room was clean and the overal decor of the entire hotel felt very modern and updated. The breakfast was also great. The only issue I had was we had some loud neighbors next to us we could hear every word they were saying and it was 1 in the morning. Overall great experience I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Ms. Monica...

It is so very kind of you to share your experience with our hotel. Reviews of this nature from such a seasoned traveler and TripAdvisor contributor are greatly appreciated by us. I have shared your review with my team today and on their behalf I would like to say "thank you" for allowing us to have hosted you and to have been able to provide you with our standard high quality of service and cleanliness. Each member of our staff takes great pride in servicing our guests and in providing them with a warm, welcoming stay to insure you are comfortable and satisfied.

We know you have accommodation choices anytime you travel and we want to insure that we are your choice when you visit Jacksonville.

We welcome the opportunity to host you again!

Warm wishes...