“Nice hotel - for Jacksonville”

Jacksonville Marriott
Ranked #51 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Palm Beach, Florida
“Nice hotel - for Jacksonville”
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I travel to Jacksonville about three times a year. Lodging is always a struggle. I have yet to find a nice hotel. There’s no place to eat downtown in the evening. If you stay across the river then it is more pleasant and you have more choices. But then it takes you fifteen or twenty minutes to get to the downtown office corridor using public transportation. On my last trip, I tried staying at the Jacksonville Marriott even though it is about five miles from downtown. It is right on the Interstate so I thought the drive wouldn’t be that big of a deal. I didn’t think driving back and forth would be much different time wise than using the monorail serving downtown from across the river.

This is probably the nicest hotel I have stayed at in Jacksonville although that is not a very high standard to meet. The desk staff were pleasant, the room comfortable, and everything actually worked in the fitness center (a rarity). My main complaint is that getting on the interstate to drive downtown was difficult. Even though I could see I-95 from my room, it literally took me fifteen minutes to actually get on it for the five minute drive to downtown. However, I’ve booked a room at the Marriott for my July trip so I guess I think it’s worth the trouble.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
NY
Reviewed January 20, 2010

staff was friendly upon checkin. we get a room where the bathroom has no water in the shower and the toilet is broken, so we are given the key to another room to get ready til the problem is resolved. once the water comes on and we shower the room remains like a sauna all night and day with condensation on the window and the rug was soaked from it and then we noticed the mold that had grown there. once we brought this to their attention we were given a new room a $20 discount on our nights stay, some water,malt balls and trail mix,access to the concierge room that was closed all the times we could use it ,continental breakfast, and then a refrigerator that also didn't work. so our new room is okay so we think til we go out and come back at 1am to see that the layers of dust on the furniture/lamps are disgusting! and the fridge still doesn't work. the supervisor comes to see this and apologizes but after offering to comp us for the night for the inconvenience of this all,recommends he will call me another hotel if I want to leave! That's a first for me...I am a professional who deals with thousands of people in a day so we were nothing but nicer than we should have been considering we were treated like second rate clients because of "OUR RATE"! the whirlpool was cold as was the indoor pool, my mistake for not calling and checking on these conditions prior. Also in the moving around of rooms I had lost my cell phone charger which they had in the lost and found and when I called to inquire about it at 1am was told that it was not there and so I went to the previous room on my hands and knees to search for it! At 2am the night manager calls me and tells me we are getting no more comps for the night or anything and he will call me another hotel to check out. I spent so much time complaining to them and being shuffled around that I wasted so much time from my trip, only to check out a day early anyway because I was so upset. They don't care about their customers and maybe its just the convention people or business clients, but I won't be staying there or in any other marriott again.

• Stayed January 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 11, 2009

This is our first stay at the Jacksonville Marriott. We usually stay in a Fairfield Inn, but decided to "upgrade" the bed. This property met and exceeded all of our expectations. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The room was spacious and the bed is very comfortable. Parking was ample and convenient.

Other comments:
The hotel is in the middle of an office park and can be difficult to find. When exiting off I-95 onto Butler Blvd, you need to make an immediate right onto the access road. If you miss this, it can be very difficult to turn around. While it is located right off I-95 within minutes to everything, there aren't many good dining options around the hotel. We ended up eating in the hotel restaurant which was convenient. The food was excellent but a bit pricey.

We did not experience a humid room, but housekeeping had used some fragrance to clean the room. It was not obnoxious and neither my wife or I had any headaches or allergies.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adventuretravelernc
Lower Gwynedd, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Stayed at this hotel twice because I usually have a good experience with Marriotts, but I'll never stay here again. Every room smells strongly of damp, musty air. They moved me up to the "concierge" level on the top floor which was bearable but all of the standard rooms feel like you're staying inside a swamp cooler. One of the staff said they have a problem when it is hot out that the rooms get this way. I'm shocked that Marriott would even keep this hotel open given the condition. It wouldn't have surprised me to see mushrooms growing on the carpet. Maybe this is a common problem in the south, but I've never experienced it anywhere else. The staff is very friendly and helpful, but it just can't make up for the unbearable smell.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank GolfnGuitarNut
NJ
Reviewed August 9, 2009

The Marriott is conveniently located near 95, Southside and JT Turne. Rooms are nice and clean. Staff is friendly and helpful. Food is good, Easy to get food at the bar, also.

The only issue is the fitness center is much too small for the size of the hotel. They need to expand the space and equipment. Otherwise, you will enjoy this hotel

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2009

This was the second time I have visited this hotel. Both times have been the same so I will review both my stays. The first time was a double room and the second time was a king room. Both times we were put on a higher level and had a view of the outdoor pool. The first time we stayed it was warm weather, so we swam in the outdoor pool and was great. The second time it was cold, so we used the indoor pool. The indoor pool was supposed to be heated, but it was cold. My daughter still swam in it, but I couldn't stand it. I just stayed in the hot tub. There was also a sauna, but we didn't try it.

The rooms were always clean and comfortable. The rooms are a pretty good size also. I used my laptop in the room, but did have a hard time staying connected in the room because of a low signal. I used it down by the pool and it was fine. The fitness center was okay, but some of the equipment didn't work properly.

Both times that we stayed there, we were attending concerts at the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena. This hotel was a little out of the way of the arena, but it was fine for me because it was in a quiet area. There is nothing really around this hotel except for other hotels. You will have to drive at least 3 or more miles to find a restaurant or shopping.

I would definitely stay there again because of the cleanliness and the staff was great. They always greeted us everytime an employee saw us. That just made us feel welcome there. I would recommend this hotel if you don't want to be in the middle of everything and want some quiet time.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed March 21, 2009

I stayed here on a Sunday night. The staff were friendly and courteous. I reminded the check-in clerk that I had requested a quiet room and he switched me from the one he had been about to allocate to a corner room at the back of the building. Nice, comfortable bed, as I have come to expect with Marriott. Dinner in the restaurant was OK, although not particularly memorable. Wines by the glass are expensive. $12 for a small glass of so-so wine is a bit steep. Remember to where a sweater or jacket - they keep the airco up high in the restaurant and it can be draughty in places. Breakfast didn't work too well - they were clearly having a problem in the kitchen and there were long delays getting food out. This may have been a one-off. Perhaps they were short-staffed that morning.The outside pool area is quite pleasant, but they need to clean the pool more frequently. It had a lot of leaves in it the evening I arrived. They were still there late the next morning. I had planned on having a swim, but it was too dirty to be inviting.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo