“Not the worst, not the best”

Jacksonville Marriott
Ranked #49 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited this past weekend with another couple. I've stayed at various Marriott properties worldwide my whole life. The Jacksonville Marriott was nothing to write home about. The staff was friendly, the room was clean, and that's about where the positives end. There was an odor of spoiled milk throughout the lobby, and it was musty on our floor (the second). In our hallway, there was water damage that made the wallpaper split along the seem and it was held together by thumb tacks. Also in the hallway, a beer glass with a bottle opener remained on the floor the entire weekend. Finally, there was no fan switch in the bathroom, even though there was a vent.
If you're looking for typical, high-level Marriott quality, you won't be fully satisfied here.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MandyLake
JacksonvilleGM, General Manager at Jacksonville Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We strive to exceed all guests expectations and have fallen short of our own goal. I sincerely apologize for this. There is no excuse for the beer bottle sitting for anywhere near that long and I will share this with our entire staff. Being in Florida we do experience some effects of the high summer humidity and understand it can be a problem. The vents in the bathroom are attached to make up air units that run 24/7, so are not individual fan units. Thank you so much for pointing out the quality of the staff and cleanliness and we hope you will give us another chance on your next trip to Jacksonville.

There are newer reviews for Jacksonville Marriott

Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed here in June for a business trip and really enjoyed it. The room had updated furnishings, a nice TV and desk with plenty of plugs, plus lots of space to stretch out. The room was so quiet that I loved sleeping here. The outdoor pool was very nice and the loungers were comfortable. There was a convention at the time so the place was busy but I never had to wait for anything. I ate at the bar and the breakfast buffet and both the food and service was excellent. I would give this hotel the top rating for its class, but would also note that it's not a 5 star hotel with a sparkly glass bathroom. My co-workers were very displeased that they chose the Embassy Suites after talking to me each morning!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2014

The staff were pleasant & hospitable. Rita, our server, in the dinner/lounge made our time there extra special. The Reservation Clerk was most helpful when we were having trouble with the humidity in our room. They immediately sent an engineer to check it out & offered to move us to another suite. We were with a WWII Reunion (the USS Drexler) group & were provided complimentary full breakfast buffet each morning. The room & service were outstanding!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I arrived late night/early morning around 3am after driving back home to NC from Disney World with my wife and 5 year old daughter. I had called the hotel earlier in the evening informing them of my arrival time so they would know. Upon arrival I waited in the hotel lobby for around 10 min with no sign of life at the front desk or anywhere in the hotel. I waited and waited and then decided to call the phone number to reach someone. Finally someone came from behind the front desk and apologized for not being there, they were doing inventory?? The manager also stated he was sorry that he had kept her in the back doing inventory. She did offer to upgrade my room b/c of the wait, but then couldn't get room key to work. Manager couldn't get it to work either, they then called security and told me they would escort me to my room and leave a key under the door when they could figure out the key situation. I decided not to stay at this location because everything about it seemed weird and strange. I used points to book the room and after the whole ordeal they said they couldn't give cancel the room and informed me I would have to call customer service. Needless to say I called customer service and am awaiting a call back. I would not stay here ever and would recommend that visitors stay away, you may also want to check the bed bug registry, didn't do that until after this ordeal either...yuck! STAY AWAY FROM THIS LOCATION

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Brian F
JacksonvilleGM, General Manager at Jacksonville Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

On behalf of the entire staff, I sincerely apologize for all of the issues you encountered. I certainly understand how staffing issues and a key problem at 3AM after a long day of travelling was extremely frustrating. The associate who was training that morning informed me of the situation and feels horribly about it. I'm glad the staff tried to compensate you for the wait by upgrading you to a suite.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

This Marriott property is outdated and is in need of lots of renovation -- inside and out. Very overpriced for the condition of the property. The restaurant was closed but could order from the lobby lounge. Unfortunately, the Philly cheese steak sandwich was uneatable -- was like it had been sitting out for hours waiting for someone to order it, but the soup was fantastic. When mentioned about the sandwich and soup, the server just said "glad you enjoyed the soup".

Concierge food set-up was overall average at best. However the staff member that has been there for years was wonderful -- she actually was the only really positive aspect of the stay.

Room Tip: As a loyal Marriott guest, choose on of the other Marriott brands until this hotel is totally redone...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
JacksonvilleGM, General Manager at Jacksonville Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. I'm so sorry the server did not compensate you in any way for the Philly cheesesteak. I will speak with them (and the cook) personally about this. It shouldn't have been served that way and should have been handled so much differently. I truly value all of the feedback and am glad our Concierge Staff made a great impression.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Very dissapointed in room condition (walls chipped and with food particles or scuffs), metal on doors rusted through, mattress and bedding poor. More of an economy hotel vs. a Marriott. No visible security and outside vendor stuffed ads under guestroom doors. Uncomfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014
JacksonvilleGM, General Manager at Jacksonville Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

I am very sorry for the condition of the guestroom you stayed in. These issues should have absolutely been identified and addressed by the staff prior to your arrival. The issues have since been addressed. We've notified security as well as the local authorities regarding the local restaurant that solicited with flyers while delivering an order to another hotel guest. I hope, despite these issues, our outstanding staff service provided an otherwise enjoyable stay.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Since there Concierge floor was closed for the weekend they offered me Marriot Points which I took. My other option was a continental breakfast I opted out of that. I must say that as a Gold Member of Marriott I have been very disappointed with the lack of Gold services while traveling around the country lately. Many of the upscale hotels in other cities are renovating and they are leaving out the special extra services you used to receive like the Concierge Floor open to us 24 hours well not anymore. Our room was upgraded but it still seemed like a very average room in my opinion.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the concierge floor it is nothing special. We stayed in 903
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family