“Nice Business hotel”

Ranked #49 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Bengaluru, India
“Nice Business hotel”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Recently stayed at the Marriott for 3 nights while on visit to Jacksonville. Nice place, cozy atmosphere and helpful front office staff. Restaurant could do with a better choice of menu. The fitness center was well stuffed with equipment. was disappointed that the whirlpool had been closed down.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Portsmouth, Virginia
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in March our anniversary weekend. Overall our stay was decent. We left another hotel and found this one. We paid the government rate, so it is fair to say that we got what we paid for. Our bed was super comfortable and the staff was amazing. I enjoyed a cooked to order omelette at the breakfast buffet. The hotel is old but they maintain it well. After our other hotel disaster, Marriott saved our anniversary weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
JacksonvilleGM, General Manager at Jacksonville Marriott, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for all of the kind words. We're glad we were able to save your weekend... we know how precious they are!
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

No doubt this property has passed it's early years.... yet it is well kept, has great staff and the concierge lounge is stacked with goodies. The front desk personal (Kelley and Elma) went out of their way to take care of me... even though I didn't get the upgrade, they were so worried I wasn't going to be happy. Just the effort left me well satisfied.

• Stayed March 2014
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Recently stayed at the Marriott for two nights with family in with rooms. The front desk staff was excellent and was very attentive when we arrived. Unfortunately because the hotel was fairly booked, we were not able to get adjoining rooms (not a big deal). Once we opened the door to our room we were overcome by this awful musty smell. We tried opening the curtains to try and get some sunlight in the room to get rid of the smell while we were out of the room. It helped a little but it still had a stench. The room was clean but the bathroom could have used some work. You could see where dings in the door were repainted and at the base of the bathroom door the door was beginning to come apart. There was also no vent in the bathroom and had to shower with a crack in the door. When we went across the hall to check on the other room, the same issues persisted. The smell and the overall wear and tear of the room was apparent. The towels had not been changed and had a terrible odor also. There was construction going on in the hotel and the concierge level was not available to us. Instead we were compensated with complimentary continental breakfast vouchers with an option to upgrade to the buffet for an inexpensive price. The breakfast was very good and the staff was more than helpful. When we were going back up to our rooms where was an awful sewage smell in the elevators we rode in. We thought something had been passing through and we caught the elevator after it was being carried in the elevator. Unfortunately, the same issue persisted both days. Overall we were not impressed with the hotel at all and this hotel does not match normal Marriott standards. I gave the hotel a 3 because the staff was excellent but the hotel infrastructure and everything else needs a bit of work.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
JacksonvilleGM, General Manager at Jacksonville Marriott, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize for the issues you encountered and we've already taken corrective action. I sincerely appreciate both the negative and positive feedback.
Maryland
Reviewed March 17, 2014

First time at this Marriott property. It is a wonderful hotel with a great staff. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Had breakfast in the hotel the morning I left, and it was fantastic. Can't say enough good things about the Jacksonville Marriott. I will go back the next time business travel brings me to the Jacksonville area.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The most frustrating part was the business center which charged to use the computer systems. Minimum of $7.00 to even simply print something. I am used to full service Marriott's including free computing for business travelers.

The staff was great. The hotel was not bad, just was not great and what I have come to expect.

Has a nice restaurant attached and had a really nice breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
JacksonvilleGM, General Manager at Jacksonville Marriott, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. I sincerely appreciate the kind words about the staff. I apologize for the frustration regarding the charges in the business center. We do provide complimentary boarding pass printing there and at a kiosk near the front desk. In the future, feel free to visit our Front Desk for any basic computer/printing needs and they will be happy to accommodate you.
New Jersey
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I recently stayed at the Jacksonville Marriott for one night as part of a long drive from New Jersey to southwestern Florida. We wanted to break up the drive into two days and chose Jacksonville as our stopping point on day one. We didn’t plan to be at the hotel for very long, and it was really just a place for a quick rest before continuing the drive early the next day. Overall, the hotel was fine and served our purposes well. We slept well, had a good breakfast, and were able to easily get right back onto I-95 and continue driving. However, when looking at the hotel more closely, I would definitely say that the property is just ok, and is plagued with common problems shared by many older Marriott properties. However, great service from the staff makes up for some of the smaller issues. The staff here is wonderful.

We chose the Marriott very last minute and made the reservation on the day of our arrival. When I saw that there was a full-service Marriott property right off of I-95 in the area we wanted to stop, I immediately booked it, since I typically prefer full-service properties and am pretty loyal to Marriott. It was a Saturday night, and the rate was basically at motel prices ($76), so it was an easy choice.

When we arrived at the hotel, the first thing I noticed was that it was absolutely packed. The parking lot was already full around 6:30 pm, and there appeared to be various sports groups staying there, as well as a wedding with many people coming and going. However, when we went in to check-in, I was impressed that the front desk staff appeared to be handling it all very well, despite the chaos. They were checking people in, answering phones, and dealing with other guest issues simultaneously. It was clear they were overwhelmed, but were totally handling it with professionalism.

The man who checked us in was excellent and very friendly. I wish I could remember his name because he deserved recognition. We had three adults staying in the room, and he noted our request for a room with two beds, but immediately apologized for the fact that all they had left were rooms with 1 king bed. I somewhat expected this, since when I had made the reservation online earlier in the day, it said that our bed type request was “not guaranteed”, whereas it will come up as “guaranteed” in most situations if the desired bed type is definitely available. However, the front desk agent seemed eager to remedy the situation and offered to bring up a rollaway bed and air mattress right away. I would have been ok with that, but I must have seemed a little bit disappointed at this solution, since he then immediately offered to check one more time to make sure there wasn’t any possibility of a room with two doubles. Lucky for us, there was one room with two doubles that someone had vacated late in the day that had just been put on the list to be cleaned. Although we couldn’t have that room right away, he was happy to block it off for us and check us in as soon as it was cleaned.

I was really impressed with this service. He went above and beyond what most front desk agents would do at a busy time (most would just give us the king bedded room and move on), and he was profusely apologetic about the fact that we had to wait for the room type we wanted, since it was already beyond normal check-in time. As compensation, he offered us $10 off of breakfast the next morning, a few extra Marriott Rewards points, and bottled water and restaurant recommendations in the meantime. These were small gestures, but very much appreciated. It was just really nice to have such good customer service.

Once we came back from dinner about 90 minutes later, our room was ready, and everything was good to go. Our room was on the third floor (302) overlooking the parking lot (some of the rooms on the opposite side have a pool view), and was a very standard Marriott room in all respects. It had the typical red and gold Marriott décor featured in most Marriotts renovated in the early 2000s. The room was a decent size, with a nice large window, and a pretty standard sized bathroom. Wifi in the room is $12.95 per night and worked well. We were located all the way at the end of the hallway away from the elevator, which probably contributed to it being a very quiet room. I had a really great night’s sleep on the standard Marriott bed, which I find somewhat soft, but generally comfortable.

Despite the room being fine and pretty much as expected overall, there were several little issues with it, which is something I’ve found at several non-city, non-resort Marriotts in the past few years. It’s a situation in which I have a fine stay, but still get bothered by all the little things that could be better. There’s just a lack of attention to detail and a lack of proper renovation to keep up with the wear and tear. The walls in the room had a lot of dings and scratches all over them, and the carpet was stained and looked generally worn in a few spots. The bedside lamps between the beds also didn’t work. They were loose and almost seemed to be falling out of the wall, and would flicker on and off when I turned them on. Luckily each bed also had a separate reading lamp.

The bathroom fixtures themselves are fine and renovated, but the bathroom could also have used some work during our stay. The mirrored closet doors really need to go. They simply date the hotel. In addition, our tub was not cleaned well at all. I found several long hairs in the shower, which appeared to be from different people. I really don’t know how the housekeeper missed them.

Considering the little issues in the room and bathroom, I feel that the rooms here are just ok. It was good for our purposes, but nothing to write home about. They’re definitely in need of another renovation. The same goes for the hallways and common areas. The hallway outside the room was pleasant enough, but a little dated, with banged up walls similar to the room, along with peeling wallpaper in spots. Just little things like the furniture by the elevator had a sort of tired feel. The main lobby felt similarly dated to me. There was nothing wrong with it per se, but the overall decor, wall coverings, artwork, etc. looked very 1990s, and not necessarily up-to-date.

One other complaint that I have was with the smoking presence outside of the hotel. Marriott hotels are all non-smoking, which I love, and I’ve always assumed this applied to both the interior and the grounds. This is the first Marriott hotel I’ve encountered that had a large presence of smokers outside, which the hotel actually seemed to encourage. Right outside the main entrance to the hotel, there always seemed to be a group of smokers congregating. In addition, there’s a nice area outside the front of the hotel with a row of tables and chairs, where I was hoping to spend a little time outside that night sitting and enjoying warm Florida weather. However, when I got there, it was filled with people smoking, as well as ashtrays full of cigarette butts, empty packs of cigarettes, etc. Since there were ashtrays on the tables, which I’m assuming the hotel placed there, I was disappointed to see a Marriott property facilitating smoking right outside of the main entrance in an area for guests to sit and relax.

We did try the hotel restaurant in the morning for breakfast, and we really enjoyed it. There is both a full menu and a buffet, and since most of the individual entrees ended up being around $12, we felt that the best deal was to do the buffet at $15 per person. The restaurant is nice and cheery and every staff member there was exceedingly friendly and attentive. They were also very conscientious about replacing items on the buffet that were running low, which I appreciated. Pretty much everything on the buffet was quite tasty, with one side featuring a nice assortment of the usual hot foods (scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, breakfast potatoes, French toast, grits, oatmeal), as well as a great cold selection of cut fresh fruit along with pastries, bagels, and cereal on the other side. The only other thing that I would have liked to have was an omelet station, but I was happy with what was offered.

The only other thing to note about this hotel is its location. I don’t know the Jacksonville area at all, but the hotel is convenient to I-95, since it’s right off of the highway. Despite being right off of 95, I didn’t hear any highway noise, and the setting is definitely nicer than most interstate exits. Note that it is slightly confusing to get to the hotel when coming off of 95. The hotel is in a quiet sort of office park setting surrounded by a bunch of other hotels, with nice landscaping and lots of trees. There is a Dave & Buster’s within walking distance of the Marriott, and we saw Cracker Barrel and Applebee’s right off of the highway. If you’re looking for more upscale dining options, and just more options in general, we stumbled upon St. John’s Town Center just a couple of miles from the hotel down Butler Boulevard. It would be a bit hard to find without knowing it’s there, but it’s a very nice upscale town center area with more than enough shopping and dining options.

All in all, my stay at the Jacksonville Marriott was pretty good. It was nice to have a full-service Marriott as a convenient stop along our travels, and it was a pretty standard one. I’ve stayed in both better and worse Marriotts. It served our purposes well, and the staff definitely stood out to me for their great service and friendly attitude. However, the building itself could use work. The rooms need work and the common areas need work, so I don’t know that I would have been too happy if I was staying at the property any longer. I would stay here again as a quick stop, but I wouldn’t seek it out if staying in Jacksonville for a longer period of time.

Room Tip: Some odd numbered rooms offer a pool view, but even the parking lot view from even numbered rooms is...