“Was ok, but not quite up to full service Marriott standards.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jacksonville Marriott

Jacksonville Marriott
Ranked #43 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Was ok, but not quite up to full service Marriott standards.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

The most frustrating part was the business center which charged to use the computer systems. Minimum of $7.00 to even simply print something. I am used to full service Marriott's including free computing for business travelers.

The staff was great. The hotel was not bad, just was not great and what I have come to expect.

Has a nice restaurant attached and had a really nice breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JacksonvilleGM, General Manager at Jacksonville Marriott, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. I sincerely appreciate the kind words about the staff. I apologize for the frustration regarding the charges in the business center. We do provide complimentary boarding pass printing there and at a kiosk near the front desk. In the future, feel free to visit our Front Desk for any basic computer/printing needs and they will be happy to accommodate you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I recently stayed at the Jacksonville Marriott for one night as part of a long drive from New Jersey to southwestern Florida. We wanted to break up the drive into two days and chose Jacksonville as our stopping point on day one. We didn’t plan to be at the hotel for very long, and it was really just a place for a quick rest before continuing the drive early the next day. Overall, the hotel was fine and served our purposes well. We slept well, had a good breakfast, and were able to easily get right back onto I-95 and continue driving. However, when looking at the hotel more closely, I would definitely say that the property is just ok, and is plagued with common problems shared by many older Marriott properties. However, great service from the staff makes up for some of the smaller issues. The staff here is wonderful.

We chose the Marriott very last minute and made the reservation on the day of our arrival. When I saw that there was a full-service Marriott property right off of I-95 in the area we wanted to stop, I immediately booked it, since I typically prefer full-service properties and am pretty loyal to Marriott. It was a Saturday night, and the rate was basically at motel prices ($76), so it was an easy choice.

When we arrived at the hotel, the first thing I noticed was that it was absolutely packed. The parking lot was already full around 6:30 pm, and there appeared to be various sports groups staying there, as well as a wedding with many people coming and going. However, when we went in to check-in, I was impressed that the front desk staff appeared to be handling it all very well, despite the chaos. They were checking people in, answering phones, and dealing with other guest issues simultaneously. It was clear they were overwhelmed, but were totally handling it with professionalism.

The man who checked us in was excellent and very friendly. I wish I could remember his name because he deserved recognition. We had three adults staying in the room, and he noted our request for a room with two beds, but immediately apologized for the fact that all they had left were rooms with 1 king bed. I somewhat expected this, since when I had made the reservation online earlier in the day, it said that our bed type request was “not guaranteed”, whereas it will come up as “guaranteed” in most situations if the desired bed type is definitely available. However, the front desk agent seemed eager to remedy the situation and offered to bring up a rollaway bed and air mattress right away. I would have been ok with that, but I must have seemed a little bit disappointed at this solution, since he then immediately offered to check one more time to make sure there wasn’t any possibility of a room with two doubles. Lucky for us, there was one room with two doubles that someone had vacated late in the day that had just been put on the list to be cleaned. Although we couldn’t have that room right away, he was happy to block it off for us and check us in as soon as it was cleaned.

I was really impressed with this service. He went above and beyond what most front desk agents would do at a busy time (most would just give us the king bedded room and move on), and he was profusely apologetic about the fact that we had to wait for the room type we wanted, since it was already beyond normal check-in time. As compensation, he offered us $10 off of breakfast the next morning, a few extra Marriott Rewards points, and bottled water and restaurant recommendations in the meantime. These were small gestures, but very much appreciated. It was just really nice to have such good customer service.

Once we came back from dinner about 90 minutes later, our room was ready, and everything was good to go. Our room was on the third floor (302) overlooking the parking lot (some of the rooms on the opposite side have a pool view), and was a very standard Marriott room in all respects. It had the typical red and gold Marriott décor featured in most Marriotts renovated in the early 2000s. The room was a decent size, with a nice large window, and a pretty standard sized bathroom. Wifi in the room is $12.95 per night and worked well. We were located all the way at the end of the hallway away from the elevator, which probably contributed to it being a very quiet room. I had a really great night’s sleep on the standard Marriott bed, which I find somewhat soft, but generally comfortable.

Despite the room being fine and pretty much as expected overall, there were several little issues with it, which is something I’ve found at several non-city, non-resort Marriotts in the past few years. It’s a situation in which I have a fine stay, but still get bothered by all the little things that could be better. There’s just a lack of attention to detail and a lack of proper renovation to keep up with the wear and tear. The walls in the room had a lot of dings and scratches all over them, and the carpet was stained and looked generally worn in a few spots. The bedside lamps between the beds also didn’t work. They were loose and almost seemed to be falling out of the wall, and would flicker on and off when I turned them on. Luckily each bed also had a separate reading lamp.

The bathroom fixtures themselves are fine and renovated, but the bathroom could also have used some work during our stay. The mirrored closet doors really need to go. They simply date the hotel. In addition, our tub was not cleaned well at all. I found several long hairs in the shower, which appeared to be from different people. I really don’t know how the housekeeper missed them.

Considering the little issues in the room and bathroom, I feel that the rooms here are just ok. It was good for our purposes, but nothing to write home about. They’re definitely in need of another renovation. The same goes for the hallways and common areas. The hallway outside the room was pleasant enough, but a little dated, with banged up walls similar to the room, along with peeling wallpaper in spots. Just little things like the furniture by the elevator had a sort of tired feel. The main lobby felt similarly dated to me. There was nothing wrong with it per se, but the overall decor, wall coverings, artwork, etc. looked very 1990s, and not necessarily up-to-date.

One other complaint that I have was with the smoking presence outside of the hotel. Marriott hotels are all non-smoking, which I love, and I’ve always assumed this applied to both the interior and the grounds. This is the first Marriott hotel I’ve encountered that had a large presence of smokers outside, which the hotel actually seemed to encourage. Right outside the main entrance to the hotel, there always seemed to be a group of smokers congregating. In addition, there’s a nice area outside the front of the hotel with a row of tables and chairs, where I was hoping to spend a little time outside that night sitting and enjoying warm Florida weather. However, when I got there, it was filled with people smoking, as well as ashtrays full of cigarette butts, empty packs of cigarettes, etc. Since there were ashtrays on the tables, which I’m assuming the hotel placed there, I was disappointed to see a Marriott property facilitating smoking right outside of the main entrance in an area for guests to sit and relax.

We did try the hotel restaurant in the morning for breakfast, and we really enjoyed it. There is both a full menu and a buffet, and since most of the individual entrees ended up being around $12, we felt that the best deal was to do the buffet at $15 per person. The restaurant is nice and cheery and every staff member there was exceedingly friendly and attentive. They were also very conscientious about replacing items on the buffet that were running low, which I appreciated. Pretty much everything on the buffet was quite tasty, with one side featuring a nice assortment of the usual hot foods (scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, breakfast potatoes, French toast, grits, oatmeal), as well as a great cold selection of cut fresh fruit along with pastries, bagels, and cereal on the other side. The only other thing that I would have liked to have was an omelet station, but I was happy with what was offered.

The only other thing to note about this hotel is its location. I don’t know the Jacksonville area at all, but the hotel is convenient to I-95, since it’s right off of the highway. Despite being right off of 95, I didn’t hear any highway noise, and the setting is definitely nicer than most interstate exits. Note that it is slightly confusing to get to the hotel when coming off of 95. The hotel is in a quiet sort of office park setting surrounded by a bunch of other hotels, with nice landscaping and lots of trees. There is a Dave & Buster’s within walking distance of the Marriott, and we saw Cracker Barrel and Applebee’s right off of the highway. If you’re looking for more upscale dining options, and just more options in general, we stumbled upon St. John’s Town Center just a couple of miles from the hotel down Butler Boulevard. It would be a bit hard to find without knowing it’s there, but it’s a very nice upscale town center area with more than enough shopping and dining options.

All in all, my stay at the Jacksonville Marriott was pretty good. It was nice to have a full-service Marriott as a convenient stop along our travels, and it was a pretty standard one. I’ve stayed in both better and worse Marriotts. It served our purposes well, and the staff definitely stood out to me for their great service and friendly attitude. However, the building itself could use work. The rooms need work and the common areas need work, so I don’t know that I would have been too happy if I was staying at the property any longer. I would stay here again as a quick stop, but I wouldn’t seek it out if staying in Jacksonville for a longer period of time.

Room Tip: Some odd numbered rooms offer a pool view, but even the parking lot view from even numbered rooms is...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank mrg0137
JacksonvilleGM, General Manager at Jacksonville Marriott, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your recent visit. I sincerely appreciate both the negative and positive feedback. I am pleased to hear that the service provided by the team was able to overcome the physical challenges of the building. Our next major renovation is on the horizon. I will make sure your experience is shared with the entire staff so our mistakes can be corrected. Thank you for choosing our hotel and thank you for your loyalty to Marriott!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Good Marriott. Great location close to 95. What you would expect in a Marriott. But, the staff is superior. I have been there a bunch of times and the front desk is great. I recently stayed there and the room had that Florida musky smell. Not bad enough to change rooms, but on my way out i let the front desk know that they should check it out. On my way to the airport i got an email from them letting me know how sorry they were about this. Wow what a surprise. Most hotels would not do a thing.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Narberth, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We have stayed here several times, and this is one of the best of the Marriott Hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are well-equipped and properly maintained. The internet sometimes is problematic. The restaurant is very good..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Great staff, which helps. Internet speed was 1.89 down and .63 up. No robes except on concierge floor. Skip the room service breakfast - no bagels, no granola. They sent a man with 6:00 AM breakfast to a woman's room - hence the need for the robe. This property needs updating. The staff is doing thier best with limited resources.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank susanlawyer
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is a fairly large property in Jacksonville, very close to Interstate 4. Matt the Front Desk Manager was very friendly and professional. When letting me know that the Elite lounge was closed for the season ( I do believe this should be on the website so fully informed choice can be made) took care to discount my stay and give full breakfast buffet in the restaurant (very good) and a ten dollar food credit on each room! He really understood customer service, when I mentioned I had chosen a full service property for the lounge perk. As for the hotel itself, nice; the rooms were normal full service rooms, which meant comfort and clean. If I needed to stay in the area I would not hesitate to book here again!

Room Tip: higher floors are always nice!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Hats off to the gentleman working the front desk who welcomed us in at 2am. We are platinum members and were very impressed. Nice rooms, super comfortable! Great Place. We will definately be back. Thank you.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family