“Very relaxing and enjoyable stay”

Red Lion Hotel Jacksonville
Ranked #90 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Very relaxing and enjoyable stay”
Reviewed August 9, 2009

We spent two nights at this hotel last week.(Aug.6th& 7th) We got a really good deal directly at the Radisson site.(Stay Thurs or Sat and get Fri free.) At the front desk, they were very friendly! The room, lobby, pool area, and the grounds were all very nice.
The room was very well appointed. The decor was updated and appealing. Our room was a regular king room. It had a king bed with a sofa bed. It had a flat panel tv, microwave and fridge. The bed was very comfortable. The sleep-number bed was not everything it is built up to be, but I’m glad we had the chance to try it out. We could get downtown in about 15 minutes. I would recommend this hotel. I would happily return to this hotel again and again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beachlover296

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Turkish first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Everyone was friendly, helpful, and they all seemed liked they wanted to be there!
The room service was excelllent and the crab cakes were by far the best ever.
Keep up the good work!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Springdale, Arkansas
Reviewed March 13, 2009

From the moment I arrived, the staff was FANTASTIC! At the front desk, they were not only Professional, but VERY FRIENDLY!

The Room was a tiny bit small, but was truly wonderful and well laid out. The Flat Panel TV was very nice, and the bed. . . WOW! (Sleep number bed. . . FANTASTIC!)

Microwave and Fridge in the room. Large, nice Bathroom! Easy Chair! Great workspace. And FREE INTERNET!

Large Closet and even had a room safe.

I would HAPPILY return to this hotel again and again!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank GuyanaBoy
scotland
Reviewed January 28, 2009

There is one scary receptionist at this hotel with major attitude. Stayed 2 nights in December just before Xmas. First night was fine - the room was relatively comfortable, good beds - nice furnishings etc. However the next morning Housekeeping was at the door at around 9.30, I asked her if she could come back as we would be about 30 minutes. She said "What? You want me to come back?!!" to which I replied,"Yes, if that's ok?" However when we returned that night she had not come back. Now, sleeping in an un-made bed is not a big thing to me(I do it all the time!!) but the shower in our bathroom leaked all over the floor due to the fact that the curtain did not fit adequately and I had used the towels to mop up the water so obviously we needed clean ones. I phoned housekeeping to request some and the call was transferred to front desk. The receptionist said there was no-one who could bring towels to the room so I changed out of my pyjamas and went down to the lobby. There was no-one on front desk, I stood for about 5 minutes (read all the notices on the desk) then went out to the car to get something while I waited. When I came back in I passed a woman smoking who looked like the receptionist from the night before. I stood at front desk for another wee while and she shouted from outside could she help me. I told her I was down to collect towels and she stubbed out her cigarette and came back in. She handed me 3 towels. I pointed to one of the notices on the desk about 100% customer satisfaction and said that I wasn't very happy about having to get dressed and come down to obtain clean towels. She said she couldn't leave the front desk, I said that obviously she did leave the front desk as I had been waiting for some time and there was no-one attending the desk. OH OH!! She went crazy, Throwing her hands up in the air and ranting and raving about having to do 150 different things and being on her own and not knowing what housekeeping had or had not done that day. She was shouting and interrupting everything I tried to say, telling me I must have had a "D D" sign on the door, I told her we did not have a do-not-disturb sign on the door to which she stormed off and came back with a clipboard with a list of all the rooms which had "DD" signs. Ours was not one of them. I asked her if she should be shouting at me and when she eventually stopped to catch her breath I told her I did not want an argument, only what I had paid for - a clean room with fresh, dry towels . She then gave me the key to another room and I went back up to our room. The other room was smaller than ours and as we had a lot of luggage we took the clean towels from that room but stayed where we were. My husband and daughter went down to speak to her after I told them of our "conversation" and to return the other key and she was back outside smoking, she called this "going out for a breath of fresh air". We were going to leave but decided it was too late to be driving about as we did not know the area. However, when we checked out in the morning I asked to see the Manager (I wasn't going to), I told him what had happened, ( I think he saw it on camera) he told me there were staff who should have brought towels and I should not have had to collect them, the receptionist was not on duty by herself and she should not have been outside smoking with guests waiting at reception. He apologised and refunded the cost of that nights stay. Would I stay again? Certainly not, however ,surely this was a one-off and no-one else would be treated like me so yes I would recommend this hotel to others as its a nice hotel.

• Liked — The comfortable beds
  • Disliked — The scary receptionist
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2009

So many problems.
We were given a very noisy room with huge machines in front of the window.When we asked for another room we were told that it would be the same everywhere but it was changed.
The tv remote didn't work and it was replaced by another one that didn't work.
The fitness room was out of order.
At reservation we were told that breakfast was included,at check in it wasn't.
The air conditioner is so weak that even if you leave it on 24 hours a day if it's 70 degrees or more outside it's useless.
The number bed didn't work it was impossible to sleep it felt like we were in a hole.
By accident we left a bag there upon departure.When we realized it we were 200 miles away.It had a passport cash,credit cards and medication in it. We had to go back to Canada the next day so we asked the hotel to ship it right away to our next hotel in Florida.We gave them our credit card number but They refused to take care of it.We had to call UPS from a cell phone which only had 5 minutes left on it. We had to run to a store in a tiny town to refill it. Then they gave the parcel to a driver without getting any tracking number or other proof and told him to send it ground which would take four days.The parcel did not get to us on time so we had to go to several police stations and beg for a report so that we would have less trouble travelling back home.The police wanted us to go back to Jacksonville for a report but there wasn't enough time and they wouldn't take it by phone.
A good hotel is one where the overall attitude is to do whatever is possible to make it a pleasant stay for their guests not just the minimum and take their money.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed December 3, 2008

We spent four nights at this hotel last week.(nov.26 thru nov.29) Excellent service from check in to check out. The room, the lobby, the pool, the grounds, the staff all first class! "WE will be back!" Got an excellent rate (better than any booking site) directly from the hotel site.

• Liked — The great value
  • Disliked — It was all good
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mebucki
Chicagoland suburbs
Reviewed November 24, 2008

I recently traveled to Jacksonville, FL with my family (my husband and two young children, ages 3 and 1). We went there for my sister's wedding and stayed for a week to make it into a little family vacation. We figured that since we were going all the way to FL from IL we might as well vacation a little, too!

So...I read TONS of reviews on tons of hotels. Pretty much every hotel in the Jacksonville area that was in the $75-$150 price-range! We rarely vacation so this was a big deal for us to spend all this money on a fun trip, so I wanted to make sure it was a positive experience for us. Plus, I knew that wherever I selected for my family to stay, it was likely that my parents and my siblings, also traveling from IL, would end up staying there, too, so again, I wanted to make sure I found a good place that everyone would be satisfied with.

Because the travel reviews at this web site helped me out so much, I feel like I should return the favor and contribute my own review. We were extremely satisfied with our stay at the Radisson and I'm so happy that that is where I decided to have us stay!!

We got a FABULOUS deal on our price, and we were very happy with the hotel. We stayed there for 7 nights. We got a room with 2 beds. The room was clean and nice. It had a small frig and a microwave and a flat-screen tv. The beds were comfortable. The only complaint we had about the room was that the sink and the tub were both slow draining.

The person who cleaned our room was really nice and respectful to us and all our things. The front desk staff was also really friendly and helpful. They printed directions for us to get to places. We used the washer and dryer and they worked fine. We used the dry-cleaning service and that was fine, too.

We ate at the restaurant in the hotel twice and we were pleasantly surprised. I had told my extended family that I hadn't read good reviews about the restaurant but we went there anyhow because it was so convenient. Everyone liked the food enough to go again! We had dinner one night and enjoyed the breakfast buffet another time (delicious and big made-to-order omelets - all sorts of yummy ingredients to select from. Many other delicious breakfast foods as well. Definitely worth the price. We paid as much to go to The Pancake House and both tasted good).

Most everyone at the hotel was really understanding and nice with our children. I would say that it was a children-friendly place. This hotel was in the perfect location for us.

Our wedding was actually at The Winterbourne Inn in Orange Park. So we were right in the middle of all the places that we wanted access to: the wedding location (about 25 minutes west), downtown Jacksonville (about 10 minutes north), and the beaches (about 25 minutes east).

We got fabulous weather for November and got to spend 3 days sunning at the beaches. We loved Jacksonville Beach and tried out a few spots there.

We also spent 2 days doing downtown things, including the MOSH (smaller than we expected it would be but a fun couple hours none-the-less, our kids liked the tree house area), the Kids Kampus at Metropolitan Park (near the stadium, a super fun free playground, it was nearly empty when we went - it was a cooler day - felt nice, though, to us midwesterners!), rode the Sky Tram and the water taxi (fun for the kids), and ate at a few places at The Landing (all were good).

We also spent a day at the Jacksonville Zoo, and it was an awesome zoo! I loved it! (I thought it was much better than Brookfield Zoo here in Chicagoland, which is where we usually go). You could get really close to the animals, and it was a beautiful zoo. Good food, too, for a zoo! My parents came with us to the zoo, and liked it as well, so fun for three generations!

There is also a large, nice outside mall that is only about 7 minutes away from the Radisson. There are a lot of restaurants in this mall, from fast food to casual to nicer. We went to Applebees, Smoothie King, The Pancake House, and Mimi's Cafe. There is also a Target right there as well as a Dillard's. There is a Dave & Buster's within walking distance of the hotel, and the guys from the group had a fun night there.

We got an amazing deal on our stay. After I decided that the Radisson was where I wanted to stay, I seached as many travel sites as I could find to find the best price because Radisson says on its web site that it offers the best deal and if you can find one better that can be confirmed, Radisson will match it PLUS 25% off your stay. Well, I was able to find a better deal, and so I placed my reservation through Radisson.com, then immediately submitted a better offer claim, and sure enough, first thing in the morning I had an email from Radisson saying that they checked it out and they did give me the better offer plus 25% off! I would have been happy with just the better deal, so I was thrilled with the 25% off!

Radisson immediately changed its web site to match the deal that I had found, since they do advertise to have the best rate, so the rest of my extended family was able to get that deal (although not the 25%) as well for their stays, which they were happy with. If we ever go to Jacksonville again, I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family