“Compassionate staff, flexible policies”

Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches
Ranked #51 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Location is literally steps away from the Mayo Clinic. Serene lake with benches nearby. I had booked a longer stay, anticipating possible surgery. When I learned that surgery was not needed (yeah!), staff was very helpful. Dealing with medical issues is stressful enough. Compassionate staff at Courtyard helps to make things easier, less stressful.

Room Tip: Ask for one of their special rooms if you need bathroom bars or assistance with opening the door to...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to fill out a review. I am going to share your comments with the hotel staff about how compassionate you felt they were. It goes a long way when someone takes the time to recognize them. I hope you come stay with us again.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for most of my trip to Jacksonville, Florida for the Springing the Blues Festival. I ended up moving hotels because of the unreliable taxi cabs in Jacksonville (DO NOT CALL COASTAL CAB!) My room served its purpose. The staff at this hotel is superior! Shots out to Aniel. :) The breakfast was great. My dinner on another hand wasn't that good. The staff person this particular night said she would have my roomservice to me in 20 minutes. In reality it took an hour and 20 minutes. Then the burger that I ordered was burned. It wasn't well done. It was burned. I asked myself what was the purpose in asking me the temperature I wanted my burger when you were going to serve it to me burned anyway? lol... My stay at this hotel was average. If I had to, I would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Honey M
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review about your stay at the hotel. I am glad that you did enjoy your stay and will stay with us again. I am very sorry for the experience you had with our room service. This is not typical for our room service experience. At a minimum we should have notified you about the delay in service. I am going to share your comments with the staff that was on that night. I will also review our process for when the Bistro is gets busy to make sure we can deliver excellent service. I am very sorry that we did not meet your or our expectations for service.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

If you have appointments at the Mayo Clinic the hotel is right across the street and on the campus of The Mayo Clinic. The grounds of the Mayo Clinic are beautiful and serene. As for the hotel.....the staff for the most part is wonderful, most especially the evening chef, Elvis, and the wait staff servers!
The hotel is in dire need of a re-do!!! Out dated and bare bones. Why named Beaches ? No idea! No where near any beach! Spa? What spa? The rooms are very depressing cheap linens changed only once every three days.
Once you are at the hotel, you are pretty much stranded unless you have a car!!
I would say The Courtyard needs a major renovation as it does not meet up anywhere near the state of the art Mayo Clinic!

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same, bare bones.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank leah262
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

I am sorry that the Courtyard did not meet your standards. The Courtyard had a complete rooms and lobby renovation to bring us up to the new Courtyard by Marriott standard in 2011. During this time we added the Bistro and Starbucks to the hotel. As with most hotel brands today, we are trying to be environmentally conscious. We do not change our sheets every day unless it is requested by our guests. Over the course of a year this can save an amazing amount of water. Next time, please request this during your stay and we will be sure to change them daily. We also use the Marriott standard for bed and bath linens. I am very sorry that you felt they were “cheap”. I can assure you they are the same linens Marriott requires for all of its Courtyard brand hotels nationwide. We have beaches in our name because we are located only 3 miles from Jacksonville Beach and 5 miles from several other wonderful beaches. We feel that 3 miles is not that far of a distance to travel to get to such wonderful beaches. I can only assume the “Spa” you are referring to is our indoor whirlpool. We have an indoor whirlpool that operates 7 days a week from 6 am to 10 pm. I would agree we are not as state of the art as Mayo Clinic, but we are a hotel not a medical facility. We offer all of the great amenities that Marriott hotels have to offer: Complimentary wifi, outdoor pool, indoor whirlpool, van transportation on Mayo campus, a fitness center, Starbucks 24 hours a day and The Bistro that serves breakfast and dinner 7 days a week and lunch Monday to Friday.
Thank you for recognizing some of our great staff members. I will make sure to share your comments with them. I am sure they will apprciate being recognized.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Robin had to undergo 2 major surgeries at Mayo requiring many stays at the Courtyard Oct to date - the staff and Mgr, David Mason make every stay like "coming home" The compassion and service are tops.

Room Tip: Robin is disabled so we choose a handicap room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Connie N
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. I will share your review with the staff.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

"Look. I travel for a living and am at a Marriott 4 nights a week or so and this was one of the best meals I have ever had in 15 years of being a Platinum Marriott member. Not just the meal but everybody that I interacted with at this hotel had a different but uniquely positive vibe. Every other Marriott should take note. Kim rocked. Platinum number 887415180."

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

I am glad you enjoyed your meal so much. Kim does rock and I have shared your comments with her. I appreciate you taking the time to write the review.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I received a reminder of my stay with this Marriott seven days prior to our arrival date. I chose this hotel because I was taking my mother to the Mayo Clinic, and it was convenient to be able to walk directly across the path to Mayo. In the reminder e-mail, the Hotel never mentioned that during our stay, we would have to hear jack-hammering during the days. So every morning we would get up early, go to Mayo, come back during our breaks only to hear loud noise and smell dust. (although they did put up plastic) My mother, already not feeling well, tired from early appointments and needing rest for the next appointment and I emotionally drained, did not appreciate paying for such lack of concern for our stay here. If I had been informed in the e-mail, that was sent out the week before our arrival, that we would have to listen to this, I can assure you, I would have made other lodging arrangements. I am very disappointed in Marriott for having such lack of concern for their customers, especially since they are aware that the people saying at this particular facility are all here for one reason; and that is to be seen at the Mayo Clinic. If an e-mail was being sent out anyway, the Hotel should have notified each customer of the inconvenience of the remodeling or made monetary concessions for those who had to be in such close proximity to Mayo.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank CSS129
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

I am very sorry for noisy and inconveniences the jack hammering has caused you and your mother. I wanted to let you know that the hotel is not remodeling the lobby, we have had pipe under the lobby floor break. We were not able to notify you because we were not expecting the pipe to break. We were expecting the break to be a small repair that would have been fixed over the weekend. So this would not have affected your stay. Once the floor was opened we found that it was a much larger issue that was going to required much more time and demolition. When we realized this we closed of a section of the lobby so that the restaurant and front desk areas were not impacted. This allowed us to be able to serve Breakfast and Dinner to our guests. We also moved the lobby computers and created a working/ relaxation space for our guest in one of the meeting rooms. In addition we have only allowed the plumbers to jack hammer from 11am to 4 pm daily. It has taken us two days to complete the jack hammering and it is now complete. We will repair the pipe and put the lobby back into order. We do understand the needs of our guest who are going to Mayo Clinic. But when an emergency repair happens we have to fix the issue. We did notify everyone as they checked in that we would be jack hammering during the hours of 11 am to 4 pm. We would have gladly helped you obtain other accommodations had you voiced your concern at that time or we would have helped you move to the other hotel on Mayo campus had you let us know this was affecting you and your mother so adversely. I am truly sorry that you have had to endure this repair but I can assure you that if it was something we had planned for we would have notified every guest.

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel for two reasons. First being proximity to Mayo but second it had the Courtyard name. The proximity was perfect but we paid a little more and case I didn't feel that we received much value for our stay. The room was average at best. The toilet float didn't work, I actually had to remove the lid to reset it. Then when I brushed my teeth the sink drain was stopped up holding water. Just not what I would expect from a Marriott family hotel. Should we have to make another overnight stay in the area I do not believe we would stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ahparker24
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel. I am very sorry that you had plumbing issues while at the hotel. We have a preventive maintenance program in place at the hotel to prevent these issues but this does not always prevent every issue. I am also sorry that you do not feel we are a good value for the money. Our hotel has a lot of amenities that the other hotels in the area do not offer. We have a restaurant that serves 3 meal a day during the week, swe have van transportation to Mayo Clinic, we have an indoor spa for our guests relaxation. I hope that if you are in the area again you do give us another try.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
Hampton Inn & Suites Beach Boulevard/Mayo Clinic Area
3 mi away
Holiday Inn Express
Holiday Inn Express
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches? Share your experiences!