“Perfect for Mayo!”

Ranked #47 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Orlando, FL
“Perfect for Mayo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I don’t know what hotel some of these people were reviewing. I was actually afraid to stay here at first based on some reviews but I thought I would take a chance because it was convenient to my treatment at Mayo Clinic and I am so glad I did! This hotel is clean, modern, well appointed (and I am picky). They have balconies off the rooms. Ours overlooked a courtyard with the pool. They have an indoor whirlpool which was relaxing and great since it was cold outside when we were there. It also has towels there and handicap access. The bathroom area has the sink area separate so you can get ready while someone is showering etc. Obviously this hotel is for the people who are either going to or have family at Mayo Clinic and I thought it was very quiet and peaceful. We had a mini refrigerator in the room (hidden under the counter in case you are looking). The beds were great and very comfortable and when we asked for more pillows they offered us soft or firm! The maid was so kind to us and made sure we had everything we needed. The desk staff was also really nice and gave us directions as well as great suggestions for restaurants. (Vinny’s if you like Italian and for fresh seafood North Beach Fish Camp in Neptune Beach which was amazing and I can’t wait to go back there!) They have a great restaurant in the lobby area as well if you don’t want to/or can’t leave the hotel where you can get healthy options and I thought the food was very good and a great selection (the breakfast BLT was awesome). And at night it turns into a bar as well! As for the woman who complained they didn’t have a bathtub, they actually DO have rooms with bathtubs and I was offered the option of the bathtub or a stall shower. So if you aren’t offered the option and need one do ask and I am sure you can be accommodated. The other thing that was just fabulous for me was being literally across the street from the main building (Davis building…where registration is) and it is a pleasant walk…very safe and peaceful. They do have a shuttle for free which you just request at the front desk and I did use that once before I knew where I was going but it was so close I walked back and walked to all my appointments from then on! There are some nice gardens right in front of the Davis building…right across from the hotel as well where we took a lovely walk. It was so convenient to my appointments and I could come and go and come back to rest between tests and procedures which was great! My husband also didn’t have to tag along to everything which was nice for him. If I had one complaint about this hotel it would be the cost. I stayed on points which was great but now I have to return and simply can’t afford to stay there so we will be staying off campus somewhere cheaper but if you have the money then this is a great option. If you book early you get better rates but ironically I am not getting my apts well enough in advance for that. I also see weekends seem to be more reasonable but alas I was there mid week which is the more expensive time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HollyA
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
I wanted to thank you for such a great and detailed review. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the wonderful services the hotel has to offer along with the great customer service of the staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

The rooms a noticeable smaller than any Marriot Courtyard we have ever stayed in. My biggest objection is that this property is located on the Mayo Campus catering to patience and families of the clinic and therefore should understand the needs of the families and patients. No one is there to be "close to the beach." There is not a coach or a comfortable chair to sit in the room as it simply is too small. Your choice is either the bed (poor quality pillows) or the chair at a desk. So....if I, the patient, was tossing and turning, my husband could sit upright at the desk all night. I would have happily moved to the coach or chair but it was not an option. I just had surgery and had to stay overnight. Not a good experience for reasons listed. There are too many other great property with competitive pricing in the area - no need to feel sick AND feel that you are being taken advantage off because of the great location. I think this is a serious money machine. I have no objection to "money machines" after all, they are in the business for profit however, this is not a fair trade for your hard earned dollars.

Room Tip: If you like Marriott - there any many other choices less then 10 minutes from the Mayo Campus. This...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Franci E
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
I am very sorry that your stay at the Courtyard was uncomfortable. We do everything we can to provide great service and a comfortable setting to all of our guests, whether they are here for Mayo Clinic or any other reason. We have a large variety of room types to accommodate all of the needs of our guests. Some of those rooms do not have a couch and some do not have a chair in them. I wish that you had notified the hotel of your needs because we could have moved you to a different room that met more of your needs or we could have brought you one of the reclining chairs we have available, upon reques,t for guests who cannot sleep laying down. We are in the business of servicing and taking care of our guests needs. We pride ourselves on rising to the occasion when a guest is not happy with their stay or have a special request. All we ask is that you let us know so that we can resolve the issue.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

The room was clean, although there was no tub. We traveled with our kids so I wish I had known that. The grounds of the hotel looked very nice! There was a restaurant on site and room service. The internet was fast and reliable. The hotel was located close to lots of restaurants which was nice. The staff wasn't overly friendly, not that they were rude but we have had better service at other locations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mommyintheburbs
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I haven't stayed in a hotel this bad in many years. The price was outrageous, over $200/night with taxes. Clearly, the hotel is taking advantage of people requiring close access to the Mayo Clinic. The rooms are spartan and look like they haven't been refurbished in decades. The A/C drowned out the TV volume. My room was never cleaned. The maid showed up at 5:30 looking for reasons not to have to clean my room. The internet didn't work and it took hours to get a higher level of service that would have been merely adequate anywhere else. It took three tries for hotel staff to comp the added fee. The rooms were dirty and musty. The best one can say about this hotel is that it is very convenient to the Mayo Clinic. Otherwise, stay away, stay away.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank babkah
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
I am very sorry you had such a bad experience at the hotel. I can assure you that this is not typical for a stay at our property. The Courtyard Mayo Clinic is not the most expensive hotel in the market and we are not the cheapest either. We feel we are fairly priced for the location, amenities and services the hotel provides. I am sorry that you felt the hotel needed refurbished. The hotel had a complete lobby and guestroom renovation at the end of 2010 beginning of 2011. This was the most extensive renovation the hotel had ever had. In addition to the renovation, we replaced all of the hotel mattresses in September of this year. I am sorry that your room was not cleaned at the time you would have preferred. Due to the schedule of the Mayo Clinic patients the housekeepers do work later than a typical hotel. We work very hard at balancing the need for late checkouts, guests arriving and guests staying over. Sometimes those factors cause challenges with rooms getting serviced when the guest would like them. I wish you had let us know about issue you were having because we could have easily scheduled the room to be serviced at a time to your convenience. I will look into the internet bandwith that you wrote about. We do have complimentary High Speed Internet in every room. We do not typically have issues with it and have had very few complaints about the speed. We did add and an upgraded version for guests who do more than just surf the internet. There is a small fee for this upgraded service. It seems by your review, that we allowed you to use the upgraded internet and adjusted the charge off for you due to the challenges that you were having.
Again, I am very sorry for the issues you had during your stay. We pride ourselves on the service we provide our guests and do not take it lightly when we do not deliver.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a beautiful, quiet hotel. Even with children staying for a soccer event, it was very quiet. The staff are amazing and it is across the street from the Mayo Clinic, which has walking trails and wildlife to see. We had 4 little mallards that came to greet us every time we came over and what looked like a heron. It seems like a resort, You are only minutes away from great restaurants, the beach and anything else you would want or need. The only thing that I wish was a little bigger was the gym but now that I know that, I can bring my own training gear. Not a huge deal. The staff are very sweet and attentive. We will return since Jacksonville is a short drive away and we are there several times a year.

Room Tip: Downstairs is quiet and convenient
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michele T
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for the great review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again!!!!
Massachusettes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was a very clean hotel next to the Mayo Clinic. Nice outdoor pool and pool area but closed at 10pm and we wanted to take a night dip and just sit by the pool. A little disappointed in that but very comfortable beds and we were super close to Jacksonville Beach and Ponte Vedra. Will stay there again. The front desk clerk man was exceptionally helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank travellover290
I appreciate the great review. I am sorry that you could not enjoy the pool after 10 pm. Due to the location of the pool, even the smallest noise can bother other guests when they are trying to sleep. So we have to close it at that time. We do keep the spa open until 11 pm. I hope when you are in town again you stay with us.
tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was our first time and we are going to make this our hotel whenever we are in Jacksonville while my children are at UNF. Very clean. Rooms have been redone. Staff very friendly and just minutes from UNF. The a/c is great. I love a cold room and the temperature stays very cold. Also close to Target,, Home Depot and Walmart

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
The Inn at Mayo Clinic
The Inn at Mayo Clinic
#60 of 132 in Jacksonville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jacksonville - SE Med Center Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Beach Boulevard/Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonvil...
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville / Ponte Vedra
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville /...
#2 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach

Been to Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches? Share your experiences!