“Worst Hotel In Past Four Years”

Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches
Ranked #55 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I haven't stayed in a hotel this bad in many years. The price was outrageous, over $200/night with taxes. Clearly, the hotel is taking advantage of people requiring close access to the Mayo Clinic. The rooms are spartan and look like they haven't been refurbished in decades. The A/C drowned out the TV volume. My room was never cleaned. The maid showed up at 5:30 looking for reasons not to have to clean my room. The internet didn't work and it took hours to get a higher level of service that would have been merely adequate anywhere else. It took three tries for hotel staff to comp the added fee. The rooms were dirty and musty. The best one can say about this hotel is that it is very convenient to the Mayo Clinic. Otherwise, stay away, stay away.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank babkah
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

I am very sorry you had such a bad experience at the hotel. I can assure you that this is not typical for a stay at our property. The Courtyard Mayo Clinic is not the most expensive hotel in the market and we are not the cheapest either. We feel we are fairly priced for the location, amenities and services the hotel provides. I am sorry that you felt the hotel needed refurbished. The hotel had a complete lobby and guestroom renovation at the end of 2010 beginning of 2011. This was the most extensive renovation the hotel had ever had. In addition to the renovation, we replaced all of the hotel mattresses in September of this year. I am sorry that your room was not cleaned at the time you would have preferred. Due to the schedule of the Mayo Clinic patients the housekeepers do work later than a typical hotel. We work very hard at balancing the need for late checkouts, guests arriving and guests staying over. Sometimes those factors cause challenges with rooms getting serviced when the guest would like them. I wish you had let us know about issue you were having because we could have easily scheduled the room to be serviced at a time to your convenience. I will look into the internet bandwith that you wrote about. We do have complimentary High Speed Internet in every room. We do not typically have issues with it and have had very few complaints about the speed. We did add and an upgraded version for guests who do more than just surf the internet. There is a small fee for this upgraded service. It seems by your review, that we allowed you to use the upgraded internet and adjusted the charge off for you due to the challenges that you were having.
Again, I am very sorry for the issues you had during your stay. We pride ourselves on the service we provide our guests and do not take it lightly when we do not deliver.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a beautiful, quiet hotel. Even with children staying for a soccer event, it was very quiet. The staff are amazing and it is across the street from the Mayo Clinic, which has walking trails and wildlife to see. We had 4 little mallards that came to greet us every time we came over and what looked like a heron. It seems like a resort, You are only minutes away from great restaurants, the beach and anything else you would want or need. The only thing that I wish was a little bigger was the gym but now that I know that, I can bring my own training gear. Not a huge deal. The staff are very sweet and attentive. We will return since Jacksonville is a short drive away and we are there several times a year.

Room Tip: Downstairs is quiet and convenient
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michele T
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for the great review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again!!!!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was a very clean hotel next to the Mayo Clinic. Nice outdoor pool and pool area but closed at 10pm and we wanted to take a night dip and just sit by the pool. A little disappointed in that but very comfortable beds and we were super close to Jacksonville Beach and Ponte Vedra. Will stay there again. The front desk clerk man was exceptionally helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank travellover290

I appreciate the great review. I am sorry that you could not enjoy the pool after 10 pm. Due to the location of the pool, even the smallest noise can bother other guests when they are trying to sleep. So we have to close it at that time. We do keep the spa open until 11 pm. I hope when you are in town again you stay with us.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was our first time and we are going to make this our hotel whenever we are in Jacksonville while my children are at UNF. Very clean. Rooms have been redone. Staff very friendly and just minutes from UNF. The a/c is great. I love a cold room and the temperature stays very cold. Also close to Target,, Home Depot and Walmart

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We picked this hotel because of having an appointment at the Mayo Clinic. But I would gladly stay there again. It is a beautiful hotel with a contemporary New York flair. Check in was very fast and no hassles. The room was gorgeous with rotating flat screen, double desk and lots of table tops so luggage or personal items never need to touch the floor. The bathroom had sample Paul Mitchell products. The beds and bedding were top notch! Very comfortable pillows! The parking lot was right outside our window but we never heard anything. The restaurant called the Bistro was very good. We had oatmeal, cook to order eggs, bacon, fried potatoes and Starbucks coffee. Also available in the lobby was free coffee with flavored creamers. It rained the entire time we were there so we didn't get to enjoy the pool but it looked in top condition. The grounds around the pool area were beautiful! Our two nights there were hassle free!

Room Tip: Our room was in the back (#147) and it was very quiet!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Nancy N
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for the great review. I am glad you enjoyed the amenities that we have to offer and the Bistro. Let's hope the next time you visit it will not be raining so you can enjoy the pool.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

To begin, I will clarify that I do work for a hotel in South Florida. Please read my review with that in mind, its human nature to compare and criticize unintentionally when you possess something similar. Anyway, I was highly disappointed with my overall experience during my two night stay! Upon arrival, I walked through the front entrance, as we approached the front desk the attendant asked, " Checking in?" there wasn't a smidgen of a greeting, no, "Hi, how are you, welcome to the Marriott." Just, Checking in?" as I was attempting to reply, he answered the phone in the middle of my breath and completely disregarded me and did not give me any eye contact. He pointed to our room while handing our keys, go figure, we ended up getting lost. I escort everyone of my guests to their room. The entire property seemed vacant, yet there wasn't an upgrade or even an offer to upgrade. At my property we upgrade our guests if there is plenty of availability. Why not provide over the top care for your guests? Entering the room, appears like it looks good, nope! There was about an inch thick of dust built up on the back of the sofa. Nasty! Soap scum and mildew built up on the sink faucet and no bed bug covers!!!!!Pillows were awesome though! I must say upon check out the GM was present and showed the ultimate best customer service! It is noticeable that all surrounding employees were doing their job as they should! I'm guessing supervision needs to be implemented ASAP. The restaurant/ Bar, horrible service once again! We asked for 2 Strawberry Margaritas, he delivered 2 regular ones and as he served us our drinks slyly mentioned that they offer a seasonal strawberry margarita in case we want another round. Well, a strawberry margarita was what we originally asked for. Hellooooo!!!! Very disappointed with my stay here. I hope someone does something about it!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amanda C

I am very sorry about all if the issues you faced while staying at the hotel. You should have been greeted with a warm Courtyard greeting instead of “checking In” and they should have asked you if they could pick up the phone instead of just interrupting you. I have shared your comments with the Front Desk staff and have done some additional training with them. This should not happen again.
I want to stay at your property in South Florida!! Logistically we cannot escort and upgrade all guests who stay at the hotel. We have 146 guest rooms, two towers with 3 floors on each tower and only 12 suites. The suites are our most popular room type and they are usually sold out. We do try to upgrade our Marriott Elite members whenever we can., but it would be impossible to upgrade and escort all guests to their rooms.
I have spoken to the person who is responsible for cleaning your room and the person who inspects the rooms. These issues should not have happened. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms and we did not execute that service with your room. I also shared your comments with the entire housekeeping staff so they understand the impact they can have on our guests. Finally, I spoke to the server who brought you the Margaritas in the Bistro. He wanted me to send his apology. He did not hear that you wanted Strawberry Margaritas, that is why he made the recommendation to you for the second round. I appreciate all of the feedback and I hope you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Pool was filthy! Black slime between water line and top of pool.
Vomit smell next to bed by wall..there is no way that housekeeping could've missed it!!!! Was only given a free breakfast..no offer of reduced or free night stay!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ValleyhockeyMom
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

We are very sorry for the issues that you experienced. As you can tell by the other reviews, these issues do not normally occur at the hotel. As we explained when you contacted Marriott Customer Service we addressed and solved the issues as soon as they were brought to our attentions. Our goal is to fix any issues our guests may experience immediately so that it does not affect the remainder of their stay. We did not feel the issues warranted a free night stay but we did try to compensate you with providing a complimentary breakfast.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
The Inn at Mayo Clinic
The Inn at Mayo Clinic
#67 of 133 in Jacksonville
Hampton Inn & Suites Beach Boulevard/Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonvil...
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jacksonville - SE Med Center Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches? Share your experiences!