“Best place to stay for Mayo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches

Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches
Ranked #59 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Alabama
“Best place to stay for Mayo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel has the nicest staff that I have encountered at any hotel. They were extremely helpful, accommodating and pleasant during our three day stay. The hotel is so convenient to Mayo especially if you have appointments at the Davis clinic. It is basically right across the street and there is a sidewalk to take you there. It is faster than parking in the Mayo parking garage. The rooms were nice and very well kept. The lobby area was a great place to sit and have coffee in the morning or drinks at night. There are newspapers for you to read and Tv's all over. The bistro was excellent and had starbucks coffee available. We had breakfast and it was delicious. We will visit this hotel again. It was a great place to stay if you have to be at Mayo!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank HappytravelerAlabama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Titusville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The room is nice...it was clean, fairly spacious, and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was quite well laid out also. Unfortunately we were placed next to a back exit area where people went in and out, and also we were near some type of generator or piping so the noises were a bit distracting and irritating. I had to run the ac at a very low temperature at night to drown out the background disturbances, and for the price we were paying that's not cool at all! Asking for a room away from elevators/exits/generators would have been better.

But the real reason for bringing the rating down from 4 stars to 3 is because we couldn't have been much more disappointed with the poor quality of choice and the flat taste at the so called 'breakfast bar'. It was expensive, with few choices and not so great tasting foods. What ever happened to the good quality hotel that would include a nice tasty continental breakfast...would that have been too much to ask when the night costs more than $170.00?

Next time I will stay a couple of miles away from the Mayo Clinic in a decent hotel that charges no more than $100 and includes breakfast. The great location of this hotel doesn't make up for the pitfalls and the price.

I spent one night with you and I feel a bit used.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Greenshine
Knoxville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Great hotel in the Jacksonville Beach area without having the 'foot' traffic from the beach. Hotel was clean and close to all area attractions and the beach.
My only reason for not giving this an 'excellent' rating, was the hotel seemed to attract mosquitos terribly. I like taking sand home from our beach trips, not mosquito bites.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank L D
Wadley, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The room was neat and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel was quite and peaceful. After getting settled in our room the front desk called up to make sure that everything was fine and made sure we were able to log into the Internet. They also brought fresh towels.

I was just unhappy that the ice machine was broken on our last day at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed here for two days because it is across the street from the Mayo Clinic, The walk is short and they also have a van should the weather be inclement. Check-in may be delayed which can be frustrating however, for exisiting guests, check-out may take a little longer if you are a Mayo patient and the hotel staff are aware of this and it is one less stress. Our room wasn't the cleanest and the balcony too small for chairs. I found the hallways to be a bit gloomy. The food is better than at the hospital and the extra price can be worth the convenience and the servers are great! I would go crazy here as a caregiver if it was an extended stay as there are only so many times one can walk the lovely grounds or chill at the meditation garden. Prices vary - and the Mayo clinic discount may not be the best so do your homework. It is easy to get to from I-95.

Room Tip: ask for room facing mayo and balcony big enough for chairs.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CSS134
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

For my b/f and my first trip to the Mayo Clinic, and not knowing what to expect, we booked a room (#203) at the Courtyard Mayo Clinic. It is literally across the street from the Davis and Mayo buildings... a very convenient walk especially when you're waiting on appointments and don't know what's next.
However, when we first arrived to check in, the desk agent asked me for my active duty military ID as I had booked the room at the government rate of $80.00. I have an active duty dependent ID card. He and I got into an argument as the 800- reservations line NEVER ONCE mentioned "active" duty. I was only asked if I were state or federal government. Then he proceeds to tell me to check my email because it specifically states "active" duty. I whipped out my smart phone and again, no where does does it state active duty. It says, "Govt/military rate, federal government ID required." Then he said I needed to follow a link in the email to the Marriott website. Are you kidding me??? Being there was already stressful enough. I mean, if you're staying at a hotel at the Mayo Clinic, you're not there for a pleasure trip. I told him I expected the rate I was quoted over the phone. After all of this, he then misread my ID and though it said RET for retired when it says RES-AD for Reserve members on extended Active Duty. Once I explained the whole "dependent" ID of someone who is on active duty, he said he would honor the rate.
And the rocky start continued when we got up to room #201 it STUNK of cigarette smoke. These rooms have balconies and although there's a sign on the sliding glass door that says smoking on the balcony is strictly prohibited, when we were at the pool, folks were smoking on their balconies all around us... another frustration.
We went back down to the desk and were assigned to room #203. At this point, the desk agent was miraculously and overly nice to me... and he was that way for the rest of our stay.
The room definitely smelled better but was just average. Two queen-sized beds (we had my two kids with us), TV, refrigerator (that was a plus) and a separate shower/toilet area from the sink. We did find one roach and several small ants in the room.
The courtyard is nice, but I could have done without the constant drone of the pressure washing when we were there. The pool was nice as well. The kids enjoyed that and it gave us a place to just sit and wait instead of being cooped up in the room.
If we would have had to pay the regular "patient" rate of $154, we would not have stayed there. Plus, the Bistro restaurant and The Market (mini-store) are so very over priced. You would think Marriott would take into consideration the stress level of their guests at this particular property and adjust accordingly.
We may or may not stay there again. It is convenient for Mayo Clinic patients, but I really can't recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank annieosu
Southeast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Directly across from Mayo Clinic....room is clean and spacious. Staff was pleasant, food and beverage service available. Small balcony which I didn't use due to the heat. There is also shuttle service to Mayo if needed but I didn't use that either. Really appreciate that all Marriotts are smoke free.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor for more recently remodeled rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
The Inn at Mayo Clinic
The Inn at Mayo Clinic
#67 of 132 in Jacksonville
3.5 of 5 stars 79 reviews
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jacksonville - SE Med Center Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Beach Boulevard/Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#2 of 10 in Jacksonville Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 543 reviews
Courtyard Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard Jacksonville Beach Oce...
#4 of 10 in Jacksonville Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 480 reviews
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonvil...
#5 of 10 in Jacksonville Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 339 reviews

Been to Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches? Share your experiences!