“Ropa Vieja was outstanding”
Review of Havana Jax Cafe

Havana Jax Cafe
Ranked #438 of 2,132 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Beach Blvd. & Atlantic Blvd
Description: In the early 1950s, an auto mechanic named Armando Pulido migrated to the United States where he found his new home in Jacksonville, Florida. Accustomed to his culture in Cuba, Pulido noticed that Jacksonville was missing a place to enjoy authentic homemade Cuban food and music. With his dream, willpower, and the support of his family, Pulido decided to change his career and become a restaurateur.With only two cooks and a small venue only able to seat 60 people, Havana Jax opened its doors selling simple Cuban cuisine. It became so popular for its delicious food, great customer service, and affordable prices that Jacksonville Magazine voted us “Jacksonville’s Best Cuban Restaurant” five years in a row!
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We were warmly greeted by the waiter/proprieter? of Havana-jax and served home cooked bread and butter. My entree of Ropa Vieja was accompanied by yellow rice and black bean soup. All were of excellent quality. My daughter order the Cuban sandwich which was generous and delicious. Restaurant is older and has a warm atmosphere especially at lunch. Would return.

2  Thank Rex G

Reviewed April 11, 2012

Recently stopped in for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had the Havana jax salad and my friend had the piccadillo which we shared. Everything was very tasty! I have to admit that my favorite was the creamy custardy Natilla that I had for dessert. The dining area is nice and open with that cuban flare. I was intrigued by the band set-up on the other side of the dining room...a night time visit is definitely in order!

3  Thank DeeDeeDiner
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I went to Havana Jax for lunch with some business associates and I decided to try their ropa vieja. It was very disappointing; this is a typical Cuban dish of shredded beef, not complicated. It was close to a brisket where there were large chunks of bees rather than shredded, no self-respecting Cuban would serve this. We also ordered some fried yucca which was not edible, very greasy and hard, not well selected or cooked. In the past years I have visited the restaurant and it was quite good, no longer. The Cuban sandwiches were OK, no complaints from those who ordered them as well as the black beans. Service was also good.

1  Thank tsolano
Reviewed December 6, 2011

When we are in the mood for Cuban-American dishes, this is our restaurant of choice. Havana-Jax is undoubtedly Jacksonville's best kept secret. My whole family raves about it. They even ask for H-J gift certificate's when celebrating that special anniversary or birthday! Love the empanadas! The plantains are yummy, the pork is moist and tasty, papa frita's with mojo sauce is sooo good. The waiter is charming, with his grace and elegance at serving. Why can't every waiter be like that? The entire experience was just delightful. Top it all off with flan or the egg custard dessert and you'll be ready to dance some of it off next door at Cuba Libre. You simply can't go wrong for a beautiful, special evening: Great food, fantastic waitstaff, convenient location where Atlantic and Beach meet, close to St. Nicholas area. Try it once, and I'll bet like our family, you'll be back again and again.

2  Thank TrippingLizzie
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I recently had lunch with a friend and we both really enjoyed the Cuban Black Bean Soup.
Reasonalby priced and full of flavor !!! Lunch was delicious !!! The staff is very attentive and I went back to see a traditional band play on the nite club side - "Cuba Libre." This is a fun night spot, with dancing and after hours entertainment.