“Tidy does not equal CLEAN - disgusting room and poor service”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Jacksonville Airport
Ranked #22 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
New York City, New York
“Tidy does not equal CLEAN - disgusting room and poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

I was convinced to stay at this hotel because the price was reasonable and the reviews made it sound like a nice place to stay. I also thought the wyndham name had a good reputation. I was severely disappointed on many fronts and am shocked Wyndham considers this a value to its portfolio.

The hotel had a recent modernization by adding granite counter top and new brown paint. They also have LCD televisions. This does not make it a value.

For those wanting the details that matter to your stay - skip to #3 below.
In summary: wear socks to walk on the floor, bring a sleeping bag so you don't have to sleep in the dirty sheets, wear flip-flops in the shower, use a toilet seat protector before sitting down.

Here are my disappointments:

1)The hotel advertises a 24hr shuttle. I called to confirm it would be available for the late time of my arrival. I called when I arrived and waited at the designated area. I waited for quite awhile and noted that no other passengers were at the terminal and I was the last passenger waiting for transport. This was disappointing as the hotel was immediately outside the airport property. I called and the man on the phone sounded shocked they handed come yet and assured me he would call and they would arrive soon. I waited .... and waited. Finally, an unrelated transport van stopped and said he felt bad because he had driven by several times and seen me waiting. He offered to give me a ride to the hotel even though it was not his job.
2) When I arrived at the hotel I anticipated an apologetic reception, but didn't even get acknowledge by the man at the front counter that I was standing in front of and staring at. He was too busy talking to his buddy about meeting him outside. The counter man didn't look up didn't look over but continued his conversation for a couple of minutes with his buddy. It wasn't until his friend left that he finally asked what I wanted. At this point I was really tired and had only about six hours left to get sleep before I needed to go back to the airport.
3) The hallway reeked of smoke beyond explanation. Luckily my room somehow didn't absorb the smell. I arrive at the room ready to sleep for a few hours. On first impression, the room appeared clean. However, the dark brown room and poor lighting was hiding a disgusting and unsavory room. First, there were long pubic hairs on top of the bed (yes, I have pictures of all of the items I will mention here). This made me concerned and got me looking to see if the room was clean. Next I notice the floor has a wad of used toilet paper on the floor, several large pieces of lint that vacuuming would have captured, red stains on my sheets, hair in the sink, mildew in the tub, mildew in the sink, heavy hard water stains on the bathroom fixtures, and dirty toilet. Each of these items are of the type that cleaning with bleach and a scrubber on a regular basis would easily have removed the filth. My impression is that the bathroom was cleaned with a heavily damp cloth that lacked any sort of cleaner or disinfectant. IT was obvious the toilet was not cleaned with a brush for quite awhile.

4) I was unable to get a quality nights sleep because I was worried about what else was on the sheets that I couldn't see. I slept in my clothes to avoid contact with the bed. Even a bargain hotel/motel should be cleaned with cleaner.

5) Upon waking up I put on my flip-flops to shower in the disgusting shower and found no shampoo or soap.

6) The walls were very thin and I could here casual conversation of the rooms surrounding me.

I was very disappointed. I feel that any guest should be able to know that the room they are sleeping in is sanitary and clean and not just have a tidy look to hide the lack of cleaning. Failure to provide this for a guest ruins the nights sleep and makes any price paid for a room too much.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Greek first
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

When I called I was sure that the price range was going to be close to $100.00 like the other decent hotels in the area but I was wrong. I needed two queens and saved 25% which lefted me with extra money for food. I order in and a steakhouse delivered food to my door. On this trip I happened to leave my cell phone charger and thought I was done with phone calls for my trip and then the front desk man told me free long distance. It was nice. I'm impressed with the hotel, I would say they are fair with everything. Everything is available, affordable rates, shuttle, breakfast, pool, fitness room, and I even seen a laundry room there. Be honest with yourself how much do we usually pay for those accomadations?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank mrewc
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night before flying out of Jacksonville early in the morning. This is probably one of the worst hotel experiences I have had in a long time. We booked the room on hotwire and they claimed it was a 3-star hotel. I would not give it more than 1 or 1.5 stars max.

When we got to the hotel the check-in service was decent. They asked if I wanted 1 or 2 beds. I made the mistake of saying 1 bed was OK thinking that instead of a second bed there would be a sitting area or at least some extra space. When we got to the room, the room was tiny. There was just enough space on each side of the bed to squeeze out of the room. The worst part was the room smelled like smoke even though it was a non-smoking room. The window was cracked open a bit, so I am wondering if a worker had used it for a smoke or something like that. I should have gone right back down and gotten a different room, but I was not in the mood for complaining.

Besides the smelly, small, room, the bed was not comfortable at all. I got very little sleep all night. The air conditioner was so close to the bed when it turned on I was freezing. The bathroom was small and the shower was OK. They did not provide shampoo and conditioner in each room either.

When we asked about the airport shuttle they said just come done and it takes the shuttle around 5 minutes to get to the hotel. We came down in the morning and asked for shuttle and it took well over 20 minutes until the guy showed up. This just capped off the horrible experience at this hotel. I would never stay here again.

The free wireless internet seemed to work pretty well and was easy to connect to. About the only useful thing at this place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Angola, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

Stay at this Microtel whenever we fly out of Jacksonville, FL. Clean, friendly, prompt shuttle service.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2009

I stayed at this hotel last weekend with my wife and young son for a weekend trip to the zoo. We were lured to this hotel by the great price, the good reviews I'd read, and the photos of the rooms. I left with very mixed emotions about my stay. We had a few major problems, but I'm not 100% certain that they were all the hotels fault. I'll break this review down into smaller sections and give my impressions of them.

Location: This hotel is in a fairly hard to access location. As long as you're leaving the airport its not too hard to access, but if you're coming from any other direction you have to make a U-Turn to get to it. And when leaving you can only go one direction, so trying to get down Airport to the restaurants and shopping nearby requires that you go a bit around your elbow to get to your thumb. That said, there is a brand new shopping center down just a few minutes down the road with some nice restaurants. Its also just minutes from both 295 and 95.

Rooms: I'll start with the positive here. The rooms are very, very nice looking although a bit on the small side. They come with two very comfortable queen beds, probably some of the nicest I've ever slept in, in a hotel under 100/night. Unfortunately they don't have much in the way of heavier blankets, the two thin blankets weren't enough for me. So if you get cold easy, bring your own heavier blanket. The rooms also come with an LCD hi-def television, a refrigerator, and a microwave. This was a bit unexpected, and a good value. The bathroom also has a decent amount of granite counter space and a large enough tub. All in all I was very, very impressed with the rooms when I first arrived until about 10:30 that night.

Now, I'm not certain if the problem was due to the walls being very thin, or just having some very rude neighbors, but I had to call the front desk three times to complain about my neighbors before I could get any sleep. It sounded as if they were in my room. They were laughing loudly, cursing, and yelling at each other. Either they were being very, very loud, or the walls were very, very, thin. I imagine it was a bit of both. Fortunately the front desk called them each time and asked them to tone it down, finally after the third call they did. However I woke up later at 4:30 and could still hear every word of their conversation. Very unhappy.

The next morning I demanded a new room and was happy to be granted a new location. However the new room wasn't apparently ready for us. It had been cleaned but it was missing towels, cups, etc.... I never was able to get it furnished as fully as it should have been. At least it was quiet that night.

Service and Amenities: This is a basic hotel, and for 50 bucks a night you can't expect much. It does have a small pool, but its decent enough. They serve a free breakfast in the morning (pre-packaged cereal, muffins, and bagels with juice or coffee). They offer free wi-fi but don't count on it working. I could get connected and would lose my connection about every five minutes. I tried it with two separate computers and had the same problem on both. So if you're needing an internet connection for work, don't trust this one to be reliable.

Also as I mentioned earlier, the new room we were given didn't have any towels in it. I called to the front desk and asked them to send some up and was told that he was the only person on duty and if I wanted towels I'd have to come down and get some. I walked down to the front desk only to find that they didn't have any clean at the time. It took several hours before I finally received a couple of towels. Again, I had to walk down front to get them.

Value: Had I not had the bad experience with the neighbors the first night I'd probably say that this was a very good hotel. However I'll admit that that particular issue left me with a negative feeling. Its probably not fair for me to judge the hotel off of that, but I'll leave that up to you to decide whether or not to do so. That said, for 50 dollars a night I've stayed in much worse locations. There are some things here you really wouldn't expect for that price point (2 very comfortable queen beds, granite counters, hi-def tv, fridge, microwave) and although I had a few bad experiences, I'd definitely have to admit that it is a good hotel for the price. If you have good quiet neighbors and a fully stocked room you'll probably really enjoy your trip.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank kcnole
Bradford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

Although this hotel is on the airport property there are far better hotels located less than a mile away. The front of the hotel was dirty with an overflowing trash can and some guy sleeping on the bench. The lobby was not much better, with paper on the floor. When I checked in with my son and went to the room there was the faint aroma of doom. The room smelled like something I could not put my finger on. We had reserved a queen suite so there was a day bed under the window. I pulled back the curtain to find a filthy window and a cup that had something that had been sitting in it for some time. The cushion pulled away and of course revealed little treats that had not been cleaned up. The refrigerator still had half drunk soda and a double cheeseburger in it. At that point I was not willing to stay another second and immediately checked out. The front desk clerk did offer another room but I refused.

The Hyatt Place down the street was wonderful and I would recommend staying there if you are in need of a hotel near the airport. Stay far away from the Microtel Inn

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Truenorth978
Greensboro, Nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

I was married Labor Day weekend and needed a hotel in Jacksonville close to the cruise port that would hold about 10 rooms for a group of my wedding guests. Of course, I searched Trip Advisor and was happy to see a hotel with decent prices centrally located between the airport and cruise port. I attempted to hold spaces for my group but ran into some problems. I decided to not worry about it and just booked the rooms I needed for family individually. I initially visited the hotel in June when I drove down to take care of wedding business. I was pleasantly surprised to find the hotel directly on the outskirts of the airport. This was good for those guests who would be traveling in by plane. It was great to know the hotel offered a shuttle to/from the airport as well.

The lobby was nice and staff was friendly. I was pleasantly surprised by the rooms. They were a decent size and I enjoyed the mini fridge and microwave. During the night, I noticed the walls were thin due to a snoring neighbor. I tried not to let that bother me – as most of my guests would only be staying 1-2 nights.

I inquired about the meeting room and noticed it was on the small side but still durable for my purpose which was a small rehearsal dinner.

After returning home I contacted the GM and reserved the meeting room, he was very helpful and answered what little questions I had. Once we arrived back to Jacksonville in September, we were checked in immediately. Some of my guest had already arrived. The staff was more than accommodating with setting up the meeting room for the dinner. The kids in our group were happy with the pool which was open 24/7 to my surprise.

Thankfully, the hotel allowed hubby and I along with another guest to park our vehicles for free during our cruise. Then after the 5th day it was only $5. That was greatly appreciated. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple