“This is the ABSOLUTE BEST GYROS in Jacksonville, FL . . .”

Wally's Gyros & Subs
Ranked #1,299 of 2,072 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Reviewed August 15, 2014

One of my favorite Middle Eastern foods is gyros.

Like many, I’ve enjoyed the Americanized version of gyros over the years from a variety of eateries; however, they all tasted the same.

I found about Wally’s based on the strong recommendation by a co-worker at the time. I live on the opposite end of town from Wally’s, but whenever I have an appetite specifically for gyros, I make the effort & time to drive to Wally’s.

Their menu is comprised of signature/traditional Middle Eastern fare such as gyros, shawarma, kibi, and falafel along with some staple American fare such as hamburgers, fries, and Philly steak subs.

The place is also an authentic Lebanese/Middle Eastern grocery store. They pride themselves of the fact that all meat used and sold at store is hand-slaughtered Halal meat.

I usually order the gyro platter with hummus & tabboule served with pita bread. The gyros are served on top a bed of sliced lettuce, tomatoes, and pickled radish.

The presentation is humble and simple, but very comfy. The taste of the gyros is fantastic and does not taste the same as Americanized versions I’ve had elsewhere previously. The hummus & tabboule are absolutely home made in terms of flavor & texture. The tabboule’s flavor is very robust.

The gryo platter with a regular drink will cost about $12.00 and change, but in my humble opinion it is well worth it.

The interior of the dining area is situated right next to the grocery store so don’t be surprised to see customers coming and going while your order is placed, cooked, and served. The dining area is comprised of basic chairs and tables and has a very unassuming atmosphere that I prefer.

The location is somewhat off the beaten trail and has a mom & pop shop vibe to it. It is my belief that the best tasting food is typically found in places that are off the beaten trail in a mom & pop shop atmosphere.

1  Thank aegugka