New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Comfort Suites Jacksonville I-295

Comfort Suites Jacksonville I-295
Ranked #62 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Savannah, Georgia
“Rest and Relax with Choice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

I always stay with Choice Hotels, and Jacksonville has quite a few to offer. I chose this particular location because it was easily accessible from I-295, and only a short ride downtown. I had some hiccups that prevented from arriving at a decent hour. When I did arrive, it was 1:30 in the morning, and the night auditor breezed through the check in process.

I was pleasantly surprised by the room. It had been updated from the ones displayed online! The King Suite with a Jacuzzi was spacious, clean, and extremely comfortable. The bathroom was very nice and they had a walk-in shower was a bonus in my book.

People complain about the beds being noise and uncomfortable, but rest assured... I slept like a baby. The bed was a nice combination between soft and firm. The bedding was bright white with a plush comforter. The pillows were larger than your standard, flimsy pillows most hotels offer.

I stayed on the second floor, it was quiet and I didn't hear anything from anyone else.

They do have a no cash and no partying policy which I appreciated. More the partying policy that the other.

The staff was very friendly and helpful!

Thanks for a good stay... I'll see you soon!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 211 and didn't have any complaints!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Lucas W
billfl793, General Manager at Comfort Suites Jacksonville I-295, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Good day Mr. Walsh...And thank you for your in depth review of our hotel. Your many positive comments are certainly appreciated - I will relay to staff a job well done!

Bill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Granger, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

This property was clean and fairly up to date. The rooms were comfortable and fairly spacious. The complimentary hot breakfast was good. Conveniently located right off US295. The rate was about average. All in all a good experience

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hello Tom n' Barb...We are pleased you had a good stay with us. Thank you for mentioning the full hot breakfast buffet as we get many positve comments on this value added amenity!

See you soon,

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I didn't stay here to long. Just for one night. It was a nice room and they had a complimentary breakfast. So overall not bad for the price! It seem like a nice family hotel. If you are in the mood for BBQ there seems to be a few in the area.

Room Tip: Its sort of far from everything and not much around that section.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
billfl793, General Manager at Comfort Suites Jacksonville I-295, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
God day and thank you for your post. We appreciate the compliments and I will relay to staff a job well done!

Bill, GM
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

had trouble checking in. That should of been our warning. We had a reservation and an agreed to price. Then, after checking our bank statement a few days later we see a charge we never agreed to. The hotel finally admitted the mistake and removed the extra charge but what if we did not look at our CC and then dispute the charge? So if you stay here, check you Cc days after. You may get charges never agreed to like we did.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RedTraveler23
billfl793, General Manager at Comfort Suites Jacksonville I-295, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for your response. I do apologize for the posting error on your credit card. Mistakes do happen on rare occasions and are surely unintentional.

Since your post did not mention any other issues, I am at a loss to your marks on our accommodations, cleanliness, service and sleep quality. Monthly surveys from past guests average 9.5 or higher on all those catagories based on a scale of 10.

Saying this, I again apologize for your issues and wish you pleasant travels.

Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Pulling in we quickly spotted a parking problem. The parking for the hotel is small. So small that the parking lot next door at the Wendy’s fast food place is posted for overflow at the hotel. Also the handicap parking is a joke. 4 spaces are reserved for handicap and all are under the building, in a garage area. It would be nice if it was not for the concrete poles placed in the parking lot making it very hard for a disabled person to get in and out of a car. And then they have to walk all around to the front of the building to get in.

One could tell this hotel has had problems. At the front desk there are signs saying NO PARTIES. Any parties and you will be evicted. Then in the room there were two signs saying all items are inventoried in the room and you will be charged, after you leave, if any item is missing. That is one reason why this hotel accepts NO CASH or pre-paid debit cards to pay your bill. This way they have a credit or bank card on file to charge you after you leave.

One more thing we learned. Imagine booking a suite with a hot tub. Only when you go to check in, they advise you the hot tubs in the room do not work. Then they mention the rate you were quoted, on line, is what they have to charge. They can only change the rate if you called and booked through the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank rest_stop_11
billfl793, General Manager at Comfort Suites Jacksonville I-295, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Good day and thank you for your review. I do apologize for the parking issue you experienced. Typically, we have ample parking in our lot and have secured the front row of Wendy's adjacent to the property as overflow for those rare times it may be needed. The handicapped parking is a bit tight but, it is as the hotel was designed.

To say the hotel has problems is inaccurate. In fact, we service over 25,000 guests yearly and have not had any problems in the three years I have been the general manager. Our policies of no cash, no pre paid debit cards and no parties have been extremely effective in creating a safe and pleasant atmosphere for our honored guests. This is why we have been designated an 'exceptional' property for Choice Hotels and receive very high marks on surveys from past guests.

Longs, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday night 14 Dec 2013 on our way to Sanibel Island for a week. We were placed in room 206. All was well and we were well rested for the next days drive to Sanibel.

We decided we'd stay there again on the night of 21 Dec 2013 on our way home. This is when the issues started. We were assigned room 202 this time. While resting up for awhile before going to dinner we heard frequent loud talking in the hallway. Really didn't pay much attention - just figured it was new quests arriving. When we returned from dinner we noticed a group of 10 or so young people loitering in the parking lot drinking from red solo cups and obviously smoking weed. I mentioned it the desk clerk and she said she would keep an eye on it. She was a very nice young lady but she was the only employee present.

When we got to our room the noise coming from the room next to us was very loud. It was obvious at this point there was a party going on. I went back downstairs and told the young lady at the desk. She pointed to a sign on the desk that said any quests having parties who be asked to leave. She said she would take care of it.

About 30 minutes later a lone police officer pulled up. When he did the parking lot party started scattering. Those in the parking lot obviously alerted the room party and they started scattering also. About that time another officer arrived to assist.

After a long conversation with the people who rented the party room they packed up and left. the officers remained until everything cleared.

Also room 202's carpet was so dirty that when I took a shower black dirt would appear when I stepped in the shower. Very nasty to say the least.

Don't think we'll be staying here again!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
billfl793, General Manager at Comfort Suites Jacksonville I-295, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Good day...and thank you for your response as it pertains to your stay with our hotel. We take great care to ensure a pleasant experience for all of our over 25,000 guests annually.

One of the many ways to accomplish the above is a strict policy of no parties or social gatherings as you observed detailed on a flyer at the front desk. We are able to prevent 99.9% however, a very small number 'slip through' as in the case you detailed in your post. A 'parent' rented the room and indicated one person would be occupying. When the front desk associate determined this was not the case and a party was in the making, she called the police who immediately arrived to stop the occurance. We appreciate your recognition of our rapid and successful response to rectify this situation.

We will remain diligent in our continuous efforts toward 100% guest satisfaction...

Cordially,