“Noise. LOTS of noise”

WoodSpring Suites Jacksonville Southeast
Reviewed July 8, 2011

I’m sure this isn’t the worst place to stay in JAX, but if you’re looking for an extended stay, I’d keep looking. The price wasn’t outrageous, but I can’t say that it was worth it. My biggest complaints were the noise and the people who seemed to have taken up permanent residence there. I don’t know if the walls are really thin or if I just had noisy neighbors but it seems like all you hear are doors slamming, people talking, kids screaming, and footsteps. Constantly. I realize that hotels can’t block out everything that makes noise, but I travel a lot and this place was BY FAR the noisiest place I’ve ever stayed at. The other big thing is that it is quite obvious to me that some people literally live there. I don’t know everyone’s situation, and it’s none of my business, but I was under the impression that the Value Place chain has polices that prevent people from living there. Like I said, as far as the individuals are concerned, it’s none of my business what they do. But I hope Value Place realizes how cheap this makes them look. Also, the A/C unit seemed to only work when it wanted to. And that’s not good in Jacksonville in July. Despite the constant noise and awkwardness of the fact that people live there, there were some positives. First off, it is in a decent location. I stayed there when I took a job in JAX and the commute downtown was a straight shot and fairly easy. And it’s not in a bad part of town either. Also, despite the facility’s shortcomings, I felt the staff was friendly and helpful. I checked in “after hours” and the guy that helped me didn’t seem to mind and even offered a few pieces of advice. However, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t glad to get out of there. We had an apartment lined up, and even though the furniture and my wife hadn’t arrived yet, I went ahead and started staying there anyway. I bought a cheap air mattress, one of those captain’s chairs, and a cheap TV. It wasn’t much, but it was better than the Beach Blvd. Value Place. Bottom line: if you’re desperate, go for it. But there are much better places to stay in JAX.

Room Tip: I don't know that there is a "best" room...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TheLakelander

Reviewed May 30, 2011

Stayed for one week. As soon as I walked in the door I was greeted by the smell of a really musty "bad restaurant" smell. Not a clean place at all. When i called the property manager to complain, he said "There's nothing keeping you from leaving; but there's no way I can give you a refund." So i sucked it up and finished my week. After moving, I broke out with massive hives. After going to the doctor, he said I had been bitten by bedbugs. An exterminator checked my luggage, full of bedbugs and their eggs. So I picked up bedbugs from this place. DON'T EVER STAY HERE!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank claimbuster
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Me and my husband were getting out of the navy and our house lease was about to expire and the only place to turn to was value place. What these reviewers say about the place being trashy, etc. Is not true, the place is very clean the staff is there to help whenever possible. They make sure your comfortable with where your living. I think people on this site are just trying to make it difficult to get more people to stay here. I have never seen staff here smoking or being drunk so that has to be a lie. This place is like living in an apartment so you have to fend for yourself most of the time. I would suggest value place to anyone. Its near all the places you need to go. Also has free use of the gym and military discount. I give it 5 stars

3  Thank mommy7242009
Reviewed October 1, 2007

Arrived very late 12 mid after searching for this hotel for 1 1/2 hours because expedia maps had the hotel 18 miles from where it actually was. The desk closes at 6 pm, but i was never informed - in fact I was gar for late arrival. So thanks expedia for that. Now the hotel- it looks ok on the outside. I arrived to find no one there but a sign said to call an ext # for late check in so I called and called and............you get my drift ....finally after 45 minutes somebody answered pissed that I had the nerve try and check in that late.This guy came to the security door and let me in. He was obviously drunk and started telling me how lucky I was to get in. How I wish I would have left. Getting into that room was like being processed into a jail. The process took 1/2 hour. Finally got to my room at 1:30 am. The place smells the bathroom sink wouldnt drain,and on and on. I stay in hotels 150 night a year but I would sleep in my car before I would ever stay at value place again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank maxnook1
Reviewed May 27, 2007

I stayed at the Value Place - Jacksonville for a month and a half from mid-September to the end of October 2006. I was waiting for my home to be ready, so I needed temporary accomodations. There are several extended stay options in Jacksonville. After evaluating all of the options, I found Value Place to be the newest, safest, and cleanest, but not the cheapest.

During my month and a half there, I had what I would say a 'not-so-great' experience. The facility itself is rather new - about a year old. Rooms (suites, as they call them) are decently sized - enough room for a kitchenette, bed, small table, dresser with TV on it, and a rack that tries to mimick a closet. The whole place is on the spartan side with industrial carpeting, and frankly the upkeep of the facility was pretty bad. There were spills everywhere, trash in corners, crumbs in the elevator, and overflowing ashtrays. Even the housekeeping staff smoked in the public areas!

This location has several "residents" - people who live there permanently. These folks have staked out their claims in parking spots, use of laundry facilities, and hanging out in front of the building at night. It makes for a rather awkward experience if you're not one of them. I'd venture to say there may be more residents here than guests.

The dryers in the laundry room do not dry effectively, so it costs about $5.00 a load to wash & dry. People leave their clothes in the dryers for hours after they're done, which makes it difficult to access a dryer. The laundry room was a total mess.

My toilet kept clogging for no apparent reason. The pipes under my sink leaked all over my supplies in the cabinet. We had three evacuations during my stay due to cooking fires or kids playing with the alarms.

On the plus side, I found the front desk staff to be generally helpful, but I felt at times like I was bothering them. They did let me into my room one night after I forgot my key card inside. I was very grateful for that service. Unfortunately I cannot think of any more positives.

As for price, I found the Value Place to be reasonable, but by no means a "value". They charge extra to change your linens and for wireless internet ($10/wk.). You can rent a studio apartment or find a roommate for a lot less than staying here.

In closing, I would not recommend staying at Value Place, unless it's a quick one-night stopover. If you're looking for accomodations for more than a month, by all means search classifieds for a roommate or sublet. You'll pay less, and have a much more pleasant experience.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Dave C