“great meditteranean food”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
jax
“great meditteranean food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Love the fresh hummus and tabouli. Nice patio..with the occasional belly dancer!

Visited June 2012

jacksonville, fl
“Hookah's and hummus”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

Great casual middle eastern food. Great selection of hookahs and flavored tobacco. Also, belly dancers on Friday and Saturday night - what's not to love?

Visited March 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
“Wildly inconsistent but when it's good, it's good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Decent, but not extraordinary, Middle Eastern food in the heart of Avondale.

Pro: good falafels, tasty couscous, moist and well seasoned chicken and fish, really good hummus, great stuffed grape leaves & kibbeh, belly dancing and live music on the weekends.

Cons: wildly inconsistent (understatement of the year), moody staff (another huge understatement), unresponsive ownership, overpriced.

If you're going to check it out, try dinner time, when the staff will act like they actually appreciate your business. I've had some chilly receptions during lunch hours.

Visited December 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
“Used to love this place, now I won't ever go back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

First of all, I want to start by saying that I used to LOVE the Casbah- used to go there all the time with friends in college and had so many great memories there. I hadn't been in awhile and decided that we should go again for old time's sake. The service was terrible. Our waitress was obviously new, but I don't blame her at all. The manager was the problem- he was extremely rude and condescending to our table. My friend and I hadn't received our Casbah pizza with chicken and the rest of the table had been served their entrees (which was kind of rude to begin with). We were told that our pizza was on the way by our waitress- 20 minutes later, no pizza- we ask again and the waitress says that the chicken takes a long time to cook... I then stopped the manager to ask what was going on because at this point, our friends were all done with their entrees and we were still waiting. The manager replies in a very condescending manner that chicken takes a long time to cook and he didn't want us to get sick by eating raw chicken (sheesh I hope not!). The pizza finally arrives and it was definitely not worth the wait. The manager didn't offer to comp our meal, so I ask to speak to him again- he never comes. We are then served with the bill and only $2 had been taken off. I talk to the manager again and he says that he took off the price of the chicken only because that is why it took 45 min to get our food (apparently at the Casbah, according to him, in their 500 degree oven, it takes at least 45 min to an hr to cook chicken- if that's the case, then maybe you should mention how long it takes on your menu)- after some arguing, with an eye roll and a sigh from him, he finally took it off- . He also tried to blame all of the shortcomings on the 'new waitress' - what a jerk. We were also charged more for our beers than was listed on the menu- at that point I just wanted to get the heck out of this place. Horrible service left a very bad taste in my mouth and I'll never go back again. :(

Visited September 2011
1 Thank JMcAvoy13
st augustine, fl
“Decent Food, Good service - didn't care for the hookah smell...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

I don't know how they get away with smoking tobacco and serving food. I wish they had separate areas, but it looks like they're expanding into the space next door, so maybe. We were there with a large group for the Jax Couchsurfing meeting and they were very accommodating. Having been to the Middle East on numerous occasions I was very familiar with the offerings. We started off with Za'tar which is a Levant specialty and was quite good but the olive oil ran out, they brought more, but they charged us an extra 75 cents, not much but if they had just filled the bowl there would have been no need for it. I love a good fettoush salad so i ordered one ($6.95) and it was almost inedible it was so acidic (too much lemon juice or vinegar or both). My wife had the Casbah sampler for one ($12.95) which came with two appetizers and one kebab. Another in our party had the same, so we were able to try most of the foods. The kibbeh was very good, a meat pie encasing an imaginatively spiced stuffing. There were meat pies also which I don't recall too well. The cheese and salami plate came with slices of tomato and cucumber, but no dressing in which to dip it but lots of olives. Another appetizer had fried cheese which was good. The Kebabs, however nicely spiced they were, were very dry almost inedible. Obviously prepared far too long ahead, they would have benefited from marinading in yogurt to keep some moisture.
They had a good wine list (by the glass 5-8), good selection of beer both on tap and in the bottle, and strongbow cider on tap ($5 for 20oz)
Oh and they had a lovely bellydancer!
We found the service attentive, food OK, atmosphere good except for the smoke, and decent value for money. Based on the food alone, I would probably not recommend it.