“Pluses and minuses”

Toby's Barbecue
Ranked #243 of 2,132 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Our food is homemade. We make our own sauces and dressings, take pride in our cooking and serving. We are casual and family oriented. We serve southern barbecue and our meat doesn't need sauce, but we have the best in case you just like it!
Reviewed April 12, 2008

Based on reviews here at Travel Advisor, my son and I drove 20 minutes out of our way to have dinner at Toby's Barbecue on Monday, April 7th, at about 6:30 pm. Here are my observations:

Pros
- Service was prompt, food was served quickly. The server quickly noticed that the French fries on our Feast for Two were not fresh and immediately put in for a fresh order
- the quality of the meat is top-notch. The ribs were big, tender and cooked in a smoker without extra sauce or seasonings. The chicken was served chopped, and was full of flavor. The beef, which I normally find dry in most barbecue joints, was also served chopped, and was also moist and flavorful.
- the coleslaw is fresh
- the house brand mustard-based sauce is fantastic. I bought a bottle to go.
- the French fries are twice-fried crinkle cut - perfect!

Cons
- Definitely not a place to go for the atmosphere. It's located in a strip mall, and the booths are like Waffle House booths; they don't inspire lingering.
- Servings of meat are small - in our Feast for Two, we each got 1 rib (although a very large rib), and about 1/4 cup each of chicken and beef.
- The ketchup-based Sweet Sauce is not outstanding.
- The baked beans tasted right out of the can.
- The garlicked Texas Toast was mostly soggy and unevenly toasted.
- I passed on the "free dessert" as I don't care for pudding, and my son noted "it has that fake banana flavor that banana candies have."
- Once the server had dropped our check at the table, she disappeared for a good 10-15 minutes. I needed a drink refill and a to-go box, but there was no one in sight. And this was on a slow Monday evening.

I really wanted to like this place more, given its TripAdvisor ratings, but I felt vaguely dissatisfied with my dining experience. I would have been happier at one of the many Sonny's Barbecue chain restaurants.

1  Thank Quiltraveler

Reviewed March 24, 2008

Not only is the food AMAZING!
The owners Mr. Robert & Mrs. Sweetie
are the nicest most caring people you'll ever meet!
Mrs. Sweetie's sisters Terry, & Pat also work there & are sweet hearts themselves!
ALL the staff is amazing!
The are well known for their restaurant in Oceanway on New Berlin rd.

However they just opened a new one on old kings road!

So now with 2 wonderful locations in Jax. You can get to them wherever you may be!

You have to try:
BBQ Potato
BBQ Salad
Crispy juicy Chicken tender salad
RIBS
Fried pork chops
Fried Chicken
& swaller it all down with some SWEET TEA!

You have to try everything, nothing there is bad!

I LOVE Y'ALL UP THERE AT TOBY'S!!!

3  Thank cutlerfarmgirl
Reviewed February 24, 2008

I eat at Toby's atleast once a week! If I haven't been able to eat all day, this is my spot! Have you ever been to a restaurant that offers FREE dessert? Toby's does..usually banana or chocolate puddin' and sometimes they mix it up. My favorite is the BLT. I don't know what they do to make it taste so good, but its yummy. Their baked beans are the best I've ever tasted. I tell all my customers who move to NE Jax to frequent Toby's. I just wish they were open on Sundays too...maybe one day soon.

1  Thank cyrece
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Toby's catered an event at the Jacksonville Gun Club. WOW!!! We were so impressed. The barbeque sauces were excellent! The food was excellent. They roasted a pig, quail and chicken. The beans and potatoes were awesome!!!! The wait staff were wonderful. The night couldn't have been better. Much thanks to Toby's!!!!
They went out of their way to make the night awesome!

3  Thank kristencalhoun
Reviewed December 7, 2007

I found Toby's Bar B Que to be the best. The meat on the ribs practically fall off the bone. I love their Large Bar B Que salad, and their Fried Squash! I have never ate anything there that hasn't tasted good! You also get a little cup of dessert free with you lunch and dinner meals. I enjoyed eating there so much, I started waitressing there! They are very family oriented, community oriented. They helped me while I was in college, they helped me earn extra money with letting me come in and work a few days. The catering is too die for! I always talk about Tobys Bar B que no matter where I go and who I am with. I am now in my new profession, I still feel like part of the group whenever my family and I go in there to eat. It was a joy to be a part of their family.

3  Thank SrgTechChic