Based on reviews here at Travel Advisor, my son and I drove 20 minutes out of our way to have dinner at Toby's Barbecue on Monday, April 7th, at about 6:30 pm. Here are my observations:
- Service was prompt, food was served quickly. The server quickly noticed that the French fries on our Feast for Two were not fresh and immediately put in for a fresh order
- the quality of the meat is top-notch. The ribs were big, tender and cooked in a smoker without extra sauce or seasonings. The chicken was served chopped, and was full of flavor. The beef, which I normally find dry in most barbecue joints, was also served chopped, and was also moist and flavorful.
- the coleslaw is fresh
- the house brand mustard-based sauce is fantastic. I bought a bottle to go.
- the French fries are twice-fried crinkle cut - perfect!
- Definitely not a place to go for the atmosphere. It's located in a strip mall, and the booths are like Waffle House booths; they don't inspire lingering.
- Servings of meat are small - in our Feast for Two, we each got 1 rib (although a very large rib), and about 1/4 cup each of chicken and beef.
- The ketchup-based Sweet Sauce is not outstanding.
- The baked beans tasted right out of the can.
- The garlicked Texas Toast was mostly soggy and unevenly toasted.
- I passed on the "free dessert" as I don't care for pudding, and my son noted "it has that fake banana flavor that banana candies have."
- Once the server had dropped our check at the table, she disappeared for a good 10-15 minutes. I needed a drink refill and a to-go box, but there was no one in sight. And this was on a slow Monday evening.
I really wanted to like this place more, given its TripAdvisor ratings, but I felt vaguely dissatisfied with my dining experience. I would have been happier at one of the many Sonny's Barbecue chain restaurants.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.