“The best ribs”

Rib Shack
Ranked #720 of 2,049 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We have been eating and mostly picking up from Rib Shack for 25 years and I can honestly say their ribs are consistantly meaty, tender and cooked to perfection. The slaw is excellent (sweet) and the fries are crispy and never greasy. Baked beans are very good too. We normally get the SLAB SPECIAL and 1 whole chicken (just for extra) to feed 4 - 6 people and we have left overs. If you're going to eat the calories, I say indulge at Rib Shack...the best ribs you've ever eaten!!! The only drawback, Closed on Sunday!

2  Thank bigpaJacksonville_FL
There are newer reviews for Rib Shack

Reviewed December 11, 2010

I'll be brief since the last two reviews I wrote on this dive were not published.

This is some of the WORST pork barbecue I've ever had. Its not pulled, its chopped, dry, and flavorless. The sides are just as bad, and the value .... well I had a pork plate, fried okra, and tea and got a check for $17.95. Beware!

1  Thank ghenghis
Reviewed August 3, 2010

The Rib Shack is my favorite BBQ joint in Jax (and beyond). The food is great and the atmosphere is smalltown friendly. Situated in a small strip center at the beginning of Baymeadows Road, I passed the Shack for three years without noticing it when I first moved to Jax. I view those as three lost years of my life :). Luckily, I live less than a couple miles away and now stop in a coule times each month.

Upon walking in, sit where you like as the staff may be busy during the lunch rush.
My favorites are the pork sandwich, turkey plate (or sandwich), and the pork ribs. Sandwiches come on garlic toast, but you can get them on a toasted 5" bun, as I do. The BBQ normally comes with mustard-based sauce, but the waitresses do ask if you want it with or without. I use the hot BBQ sauce instead of the mustard. There is also sweet BBQ. The sauces are solid, but the star is the meat. It is moist and smoky, and practically addictive. The beans are super and have chunks of BBQ meat mixed in as an added treat. The onion rings are also very good. They are of the big (3/4 inch wide x 2-4" diameter), heavily battered variety. The other sides (cole slaw, black-eyed peas, greens) are good, too. Finally, I hear the banana pudding is excellent as well, but I've always been too full to order desert, so cannot verify.

My two minor criticisms - They serve Pepsi products, not Coke. The french fries, while crisp and flavorful, are not salted and by the time you get them, the table salt bounces right off 'em. I told you they were minor.

They are not open on Sunday. They do have a couple of picnic tables outside, but your view is the parking lot. Due to recent road work, access is only from westbound Baymeadows. If you're coming from San Jose Blvd, you'll have to go past and make a U-turn, or you can turn left into the hardware store and cut through their lot - not recommended, but I've done it.

Reviewed December 7, 2009

I love BBQ. I have eaten in almost all of the BBQ restaraunts south of the St. Johns River. The Rib Shack is a family owned restaraunt. I may be biased as I have eating there since 1990. All of the food is great. They have specials all of the time. If you like BBQ you have to give them a try. They remodeled a few years ago and the place looks great. And you can't beat the friendly service!

Reviewed July 12, 2008

This place is really good & I have been going here for years. It is local owned & they do a great job on all of their Bar-B -Q.

The AT&T guys eat here it must be good. When you are out of town & want to know the good local places to eat ask a telephoneman.

Ribs, Chicken, Pork, Beef are all very moist & good.

Watch out for the Hot sauce it does have some kick to it.

Ask for Shannon & don't skip the homemade Bananna Pudding.