“Excellent Seafood and beautiful view”

Sandollar Restaurant & Marina
Ranked #62 of 2,057 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Sandollar was originally built in 1954 by a gentleman who lived in Fort George Island. This small but capable restaurant was able to capitalize on the booming American shrimp market from Mayport across the river. The business thrived and created the tradition of serving fresh and local seafood at low costs. This was when Heckscher Drive still had bridges that were made of wood and moved with the tide. After a while, the area demanded a larger facility and in 1988, a new building was constructed by Dwayne Williams, who owned La Cruise Casino and Restaurant in Mayport. He kept the tradition of providing customers with fresh, quality seafood at a low price. Today, under that same direction from the original owner, we look forward to bringing back the same great seafood that The Sandollar brought in when it opened. We are proud to be serving our local community for over 15 years now and will continue to give back and assure our locals that the next decade will provide the same great service, incredible food, and innovation that we are known for.
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Great little restaurant located next to the ferry. The gumbo was fantastic and would recommend spending extra for the oysters. The cashew crusted grouper was solid, but would likely go for the blackened version on the next visit. Sometimes, you get to see the Carnival Cruise ship sail by. We did get to see dolphins swimming!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stopped here for lunch and very glad I did. the Staff are exceptional and was seated in a water view table.
The server was very attentive or maybe it was because of my British accent. Anyhoo I ordered the Grilled Redfish Sandwich and it looked like a meal for 2. The decor of the restaurant is very well appointed with the nautical flavor and very clean. you can also if you wish pull up in your boat to one of the restaurant docks. I give this place a Excellent rating well deserved.

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Food was good and service was nice, restaurant was a bit out of date, but over all it was pleasant, the band was good until it began to rain. I would return to this restaurant when I am back visiting this area!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had a Groupon so we decided to try it again. We went on a Groupon 3 years ago and it wasn't so great. I loved sitting outside by the water and the live music. That's the best part. We had a party of 9. The waiter we had acted like we were upsetting him by being there. The water we were given tasted like bleach. So we asked for club soda and then tonic water. All were mixed with the well water that was treated that day...so yuck. They had no bottled water or solution and just accepted that they serve bleach water on well treatment days. My husbands steak was "the worst he ever had". He said it tasted like it was cooked, frozen and then reheated to serve. I could go on, but overall it was tasteless, over cooked or under cooked. Completely over priced and we will never go back.

1  Thank Annette M
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I took a day roadtrip to ride the St. John's River Ferry and stopped in to have lunch on a Sunday. The Sandollar was having a Sunday Brunch, but we just wanted a sandwich. The fish tacos that they made me were fantastic, and my hubby's grouper sandwich was great as well. So interesting to sit in this lovely restaurant overlooking the river and watch the boats and the ferry passing by. Beautiful birds to watch too and to see the pelicans fishing. I recommend you visit this place for a relaxing time and great food.