“Local favorite”

Cuisines: Seafood
South Bend, Indiana
“Local favorite”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This is where the locals eat seafood. Any fish dish here is very good, but I can never get past the shrimp and grits! The serving is HUGE and I always take half home for the best next day breakfast reheat ever. You will not be disappointed!

Visited January 2014

Jacksonville, Florida
“Snobish Service”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The "hostess" appeared aggravated to seat me and my fiancé...all communication from the waitress, who was also the hostess was rude; she was very "put out" about our questions per the menu. We waited longer than 15 minutes for the wine I'd requested and then she gave us the wrong kind of wine. Finally, I'd decided to have a bloody Mary and we waited a good 10 minutes for that also before ordering the meal. The bowl of slaw brought to me was filled to the brim with watery slaw dressing; what audacity, expecting us to eat that! The waitress was rude to us and snobbish. We will never return there again. Jumbo shrimp was small and greasy and lukewarm and grew cold quickly. We dreaded to ask the waitress #33 Philisha for anything.

• Visited November 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Cold food - Bad customer service”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I am a regular customer of Gene's Seafood. I ordered takeout - combo dinner for 2 and the food was old. I had to reheat the fish, shrimp, scallops, clams and hushpuppies in the oven. I called to complain and was told there was no way the food was cold. Basically I was called a liar multiple times. I told them I didn't want free food or anything...just wanted to let them know. I will never eat at or recommend Gene's again. Good customer service goes a long way!!!

• Visited May 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga
“Nothing special”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Some of the food was good, some was not so good.

1/2 the food came out cold.
The grouper plate was very bland and a little over cooked.

Portions were good. Cole slaw was very good.

Probably will not go back. There are better choices around.

• Visited May 2013
south Georgia
“You have got to be kiddin"”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

OK, I could see it was in a storefront. Thtme atmosphere was non existent. The gumbo was the worse I have ever had. Shrimp were rubbery, okra was crunchy(in soup), the color was red not brown. The fish sandwich had a tasty white fish but the lettuce was like eating grass. I had to remove it. Of all the seafood restaurants in Jacksonville, how could this be rated so high! The waitress had to be sent back several times for items we initially asked for. We will never be back and were only here this time because of the favorable TA.

• Visited December 2012