Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville South-St. Johns Town Center Area
Ranked #3 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Norwich, Connecticut
“Great Hotel!!!”
Reviewed May 25, 2010

The Hampton Inn & Suites Southside is a great hotel. My husband and I checked in for a weekend getaway. The hotel is located in the middle of many restaurants and a movie theatre. They also provide shuttle service to and from the outdoor mall. The front desk was very friendly. The hotel is very clean and fresh looking. The breakfast had a lot of diiferent options to choose from. Everyone was very welcoming, we felt we were part of their family. The next time we come to Jacksonville, we will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 23, 2010

I've stayed at this location off and on for several years. I like the area of town. Unfortunately, this one time favorite HI is starting to show its' age.... On arrival, there were two people at the desk. One was on phone and the other had receipts all over the desk. The second one helped us check in while apologizing for clutter. During check in, the phone rang and she went to the call. I also had to show AARP card, the first time I have ever done so in over 10 years. And, BTW, I look my age. Got key and went to room. Air conditioning was not working properly. Called desk and maintenance man came right up. He was the highlight of the visit. Knowledgeable; funny and interesting. He's a keeper. he fixed the problem. Breakfast was normal fare. Although there were quite a few people in hotel, we had much of the breakfast room to ourselves. Check out was quick and easy. Best part of room was the chairs that some of the HI's have. Comfortable with a matching footstool.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Islamorada, Florida
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I've stayed at this Hampton several times now, and the only bad experience I have had is the one mentioned in another review--noise from the bar next door. This time I was on the other side of the hotel so I didn't hear anything, but I'm not sure anything was going on, either. This property is located in a part of Jacksonville that is now coming apart almost as fast as it boomed. For example, the nearby Starbucks had closed, along with several of the nearby chain restaurants, and there is an abandoned, half-completed strip shopping center right next to the hotel. This may be a reason the room rates were so cheap. In any event the property itself was fine, and remained clean and well-maintained, though it seemed rather empty. At some point I would expect either a crime spike or a closing of this property as there is no need for it now, but in the meantime, take advantage of it. Incidentally, it is a bit difficult to find as it doesn't really face the street; it shares a common driveway with the Fairfield Inn next door.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Limerick
Reviewed June 15, 2009

I have stayed here now a number of times. There is a lot of hotels in the area, but I stay here because of the quality of the room including the bed, the friendly staff and the breakfast. While the breakfast is not up to the standards you would get if you paid extra for it in other places, for one that is included in the price of the room it is very good in my mind and they haven't left their standard drop over a long period. The exercise room is fairly basic, but then no more so than most. I have never gone into the pool, but it looks fine. The location is very good with a TGI fridays, an ale house, Macdonals, A Japanese place, good pizza place etc all within walking distance, which is not that common (walking that is) in this part of Florida. The Seven Bridges is also within walking distance and the food is quite good there, however given the heat you might prefer to drive to there. Shopping you will have to drive to, but the Avenues is I guess only a few miles away on Southside and the Johns town centre is about 3 miles away.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Tonawanda, New York
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Stayed here for four days in mid-February to visit St. Augustine. It was about a 30 minute drive, but was pretty easy to get to. The front desk area and both elevators had strange odors to them. This was the only real big negative I can think of. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful, especially when the housekeeping staff mistakenly took a personal towel we had brought. The next day the housekeepers searched through the dirty towels and was able to find it, laundered it for us, and returned it before we checked out the next day. Breakfast was very good as I've come to expect from a Hampton, with a lot of variety. The room and bathroom was a little larger than normal, which was nice, and it was very quiet too. Beds were the typical comfy type that is typical at a Hampton. Microwave and refrigerator was a nice bonus as well.

• Stayed February 2009
Florida
Reviewed February 8, 2009

I was very pleased with my recent 2 night stay at the Hampton Inn. The hotel was very clean and modern, basic breakfast included, close to movie theaters, several restaurants and only 3-4 miles from the huge Town Point shopping center. Double room had a small fridge and microwave as well as coffeemaker. The Alehouse restaurant is next door although we didn't try it. Front desk staff was very pleasant and accomodating. I would certainly stay again, as the hotel was a great value at the AAA rate. Free in room internet and free parking.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Yankee16
Reviewed August 8, 2008

This was my first trip to the Jacksonville Florida area for business. Since I'm a HHONORS points collector, I chose the Hampton Inn. It's located on a pretty busy stretch of road where there are plenty of places to eat (mostly fast food), including a TGI Friday's right out the front door. There is a massive movie theater within walking distance, a Haircuttery, etc. The hotel itself is pretty new, clean and inviting. Here's the rub..I had a room on the side of the hotel that faces the Ale House. At approximately 8pm or so, there must be live music that blasts out of this place. Now, I go to sleep on the later side (the music ends somewhere around 11pm), but I would have preferred to have peace and quiet. To add insult to injury, I was awoken all three nights by the sound of a dumpster being emptied at 3:40am!
If I were to return, I would request a room facing the other side of the hotel (facing the Marriott Springhill Suites) so that I could actually enjoy the silence. Overall the hotel is very nicely put together, the staff is excellent and the breakfast is more than adequate. My guess is that they can't do anything about the music next door and that the garbage folks are just doing their job. It is however, my choice as to stay here again or not.

• Liked — Seemingly new accomodations
  • Disliked — Noise level at night
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Yankee16