“Surprised (In A Good Way)”

Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville South-St. Johns Town Center Area
Ranked #3 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
A TripAdvisor Member
“Surprised (In A Good Way)”
Reviewed July 5, 2006

I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel because I am a very picky person when it comes down to the whole hotel experience. The location is perfect. There is a movie theatre next door. The area around the hotel is surrounded by several restaurants to suit everyone's taste from kids to adults, casual to formal casual, along w/buffets restaurants. Gas stations/convenience stores are near. Publix/SuperWalmart are nearby. The hotel itself is very pretty and colorful w/luxury wallpaper & other nice decor. The rooms are very clean. The bathroom is very clean( NO GRIME in tub or surrounding it). You can adjust the thermostat to your temp. The cleaning srvc ppl are very courteous and respectful of your privacy(they dont rush you out to get your room cleaned). Beds are very comfy. As you get out of your vehicle, there are rocking chairs/benches with outdoor surround sound music( very welcoming). The lighting in the rooms are nice. The lighting from all the restaurants and movie theatre at night are nice. My only complaint is the breakfast(too much bread), the pillows(not fluffy, low value), and the washcloths, too thin. Other than that, I would definitely come back. Besides, I am a native of Jacksonville. I just live in Atlanta now.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Gainesville, FL
Reviewed May 7, 2006

I stayed here 3 times over the past 2 months. After the first stay, Hampton Inns emailed me a survey and I filled it out giving them high marks I thought with 8's and 9's on a scale of 1 to 10. Well, the General Manager saw the survey I took. (I filled out on the survey that it was OK for the General Manager to contact me about the survey.) She saw I had an up coming stay with them and she contacted me to see what they could do to earn 10's. I told them it was a little noisy last time because they had a youth group staying with them at that time. So this time they put me up on the top floor away from all the noise just in case another youth group was there. Great staff, great hotel, very comfy beds, clean, outstanding. The hotel is surrounded by at least a dozen restaurants, a Starbucks and a movie theater all within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank ARBUFL
Reviewed April 27, 2006

Very clean hotel; friendly, polite staff; quiet rooms with little heard from the rooms next door; nice pool (most other hotels in the area have their pools shaded from the sun by the building) and exercise room; lots of good restaurants within walking distance. I will definitely stay again if I’m in the area.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 4, 2006

First, I just want to say that I brought my colorguard team of 22 and 7 chaperones to this hotel. When driving up to this hotel, the first thing you notice is all the resturants around this hotel. The ale house, starbucks, Mcdonalds, Chick-fila, etc. You name it, it is right there. My only probelm was checking in. We kept tell them what school we were from but they kept giving us a differnt school. That took a few mintues to get correct. Once that was taken care of we checked over the rooms.. WoW was the first word to come to mind. All of the girls were in King size suites, which included a king size bed, a pull out sofa bed, a kitchen area (with a fridge, microwave, and sink), they had big TV's and a dvd player. The bathrooms were very nice. They have the new curtain rod that is an oval shape at the top to give you more room in the shower. The Chaperones were in King size room, but only had a fridge in the room. They had a huge desk that wrapped around the wall and a TV.
They have a breakfast in the morning that starts at 6am. I did not have any but the girls did and they didnt like it. But hey we are talking about picky high school students...
Overall I would stay in this hotel with a group or with out. IT was cheap,nice, and clean..

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bradenton, FL
Reviewed January 31, 2006

This is a very well run Hampton property, totally geared to the business traveler.

The location is quiet, there are good restaurants nearby and the personnel will do whatever it takes to make your business trip go well.

Example: The front desk going to some effort to make 10 copies of a document for me when I couldn't find a Staples, Kinkos or Office Depot nearby.

Example: Roy at the front desk grabbing my outgoing mail and running out the door to post it before pickup.

Example: The front desk sincerely calling me after I checked into room 603 to make sure everything was ok.

Highly recommended and clean, also. I plan to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank BarefootTom
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 30, 2006

I stayed here for a week and I can honestly say this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed. The hotel is new and the staff is wonderful. The room had a fridge,microwave, DVD player and a sofa set. The king size bed was very comfortable. The carpet is clean and the bathroom is wide and the toiletries and towels were replenished every day. This is the ideal hotel because of its location; it is close to all the major restaurants and major roadways. The only drawback is that if you get room near the stairway or generator the noise can be annoying.
The hotel was a wonderful surprise for a jaded business traveler.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank netrix_la
FL
Reviewed August 5, 2005

This hotel is relatively new. It is in a great location that is safe with lots of entertainment and restaurants nearby. The Avenues Mall is right down the highway, too. The front desk clerks were extremely nice and welcoming. The hotel was very well maintained insode and out. The room was very nicely laid out, but the room could have been a little larger, as there was very little space between the bedroom area and the living space (television, loveseat, and table). The room also had a DVD player, which came in handoy for my small child. There was a refrigerator, microwave, and coffeemaker in the room. The room was very clean, including the bathroom. The hotel had nice touches, like popcorn, tea, and coffee for snacks, and nice toiletries. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2005