“Not the best service, nice hotel and location otherwise”

Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville South-St. Johns Town Center Area
Ranked #3 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Georgia
“Not the best service, nice hotel and location otherwise”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Let me start with the positives. The location is excellent. We were within walking distance to several restaurants (including a Jason's Deli) and very close to shopping. The neighborhood looked to be very nice. The property was clean and nicely decorated. The room was upgraded and clean. The breakfast was typical Hampton Inn fare and was presented well.

The only problem was when we got ready for bed. The down comforters are always too thick for my wife. She always sleeps under the thin blanket stored in the closet in every other Hampton inn we have stayed in (from CA to ME). When she unfolded the blanket in our room she found that it was for a twin sized bed. We were in a room with two queens so the blanket did not provide nearly enough cover. She went downstairs and talked to the clerk at the front desk. My wife was told that they did not have any larger blankets and that Hampton Inn didn't provide larger blankets. She was also told that those blankets were for the sofa beds. Considering that all the sofa beds are queen sized and there was no sofa in our room, we thought that was a bit odd. The clerk offered to fill out the 100% guarantee claim form. True to their word, we didn't pay for the room because they did not have what was needed to make us comfortable. The manager the next day said that they should have found us another blanket.

We have never had to resort to the Hampton Inn guarantee, but they did stand by their word. We did not have the same experience at other Hampton Inns on this trip so we are just going to chalk this up to employee training. If a blanket is important to you, check the closet before checking in.

Room Tip: Rooms with two queens are all centered around the elevator shaft. We occasionally heard it during t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
RT_Fisk, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville South-St. Johns Town Center Area, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for your review PlannedSpontaneity!

I know we spoke while you were here, but I would like to apologize again for the issues during your stay. I appreciate you bringing the issue to our attention, and I want you to know that thanks to you, we are taking a closer look at what we have on hand to provide to our guests, and we will be purchasing the necessary replacements to be ready in the future.

Thank you again for letting us know how we could be better! Safe Travels!

-R.T. Fisk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Augusta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We checked into this hotel after leaving another. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The rooms were squeaky clean. the bedding was fresh and the beds were comfy. We had the convenience of a fridge and microwave in our room. There was even popcorn for us!The breakfast was fabulous. No one can top the home made waffles!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

RT_Fisk, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville South-St. Johns Town Center Area, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thanks for the TripAdvisor review Claudine!

We try our best to provide our guests with the best experience possible while they are here, so I'm glad we were able to exceed your expectations. Mini fridges and microwaves are really convenient when you travel, which is why those are actually in every room of our hotel!

And I'm also glad you were able to take advantage of our complimentary breakfast. The homemade waffles are tough to beat!

Thanks again!

Alexandria, VA
Reviewed June 3, 2014

This property has many unique capabilities. They allowed my small dog to stay and had a place to walk her, had a place to park my rental moving truck and trailer, had a military discount, and the breakfast area and lobby (and our rooms) were exceptionally nice. The staff was superb - friendly and professional. And there were several good choices for dinner within a block.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

RT_Fisk, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville South-St. Johns Town Center Area, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thanks Jim, for the nice review of our hotel!

It is tough to travel these days with a moving truck and trailer, not to mention when you've also got your pet with you, so I'm glad we were able to provide you with everything you needed! We take a lot of pride in our friendly and professional staff, so it's good to hear that the service and the room itself were exceptionally nice for you. If you're ever travelling back through the area, stop in and say hello!

Thanks again,

Heathrow, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2014

The front desk staff were friendly and quick to assist at check in. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Several restaurants, and a movie theater within walking distance. Great job Hampton - Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for the high recommendation, lajane!

I see that you have reviewed a lot of hotels on TripAdvisor, so I take your comments as very high praise! We strive to be the best here in Jacksonville, and thanks to the guests that have taken the time to let us know how we're doing over the years, we know that we're reaching our goal. If there was anything that we could have done better, please let me know!

Thanks again! Safe Travels!

Tallahassee, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We were here from out of town for the UNF Orientation. This Hotel was one of several that UNF sent to the Parents. I called several on the list, but your front office personnel was very kind, sweet and helpful. The discounted rate for us was also wonderful! Although our experience was fantastic, having the shuttle take us to the University every day and pick us up, as well as to St. Johns Center...was the BEST!!!! I was not sure of the traffic or the location of everything, and this service was so wonderful!!! The Staff that took us were alot of fun as well! Thank you for a fantastic 3 day stay at your Hotel. This is where we will lodge in the future!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel Patti!

I'm glad you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us during UNF Orientation! I also enjoyed shuttling you guys to UNF since it helped me learn a little bit more about the campus. If you're curious about anything else in the area, please do not hesitate to let me know!

Thanks again for the review, and best of luck to your daughter!

Orange City, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed here due to my son's swim meet, and location was fairly close to the pool (10 minutes). Many restaurants within walking distance, also a movie theater and many places to shop. Staff was very friendly, room was clean. Complimentary breakfast was good, not great, but good. Free internet service.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thanks Paully, for the great review!

We are extremely lucky to be in such a convenient location close to a lot of things here in Jacksonville, so I'm glad you took advantage of what this area has to offer. I'm also glad the room and staff were up to your expectations. If there's anything else we could have done better, please let me know!

Thanks again,

Hailsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is the very best hotel I have ever stayed in and I use hotels across the world. Bed comfortable, pillows wonderful, complimentary shuttle took me around Jacksonville (made my stay) and lovely staff. Breakfast dreadful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel Sylvia!

It was my pleasure driving you around town in our shuttle, and I'm glad the rest of your stay (except for the breakfast) exceeded expectations. I know we discussed the breakfast while you were here, and again I apologize for it not being what you were expecting it to be. Hamptons are constantly upgrading their breakfast to provide a better product for the guests, so hopefully by the time you and your family return it will be much better for you!

Thanks again for the review, it was very nice meeting you!