“Best Place for Simple Tacos in Jacksonville”
Review of Mr. Taco

Mr. Taco
Ranked #84 of 172 Quick Bites in Jacksonville
Reviewed August 23, 2015

Time of Visit: Lunch…a lot
Order: 4 Pastor tacos, 2 Ground Beef tacos, and a Tres Leches
Bill: $17
Pros: Amazing tacos, best Tres Leches ever, quick take out service
Cons: The line to order can get long around lunch (this could also be a Pro)

Thoughts: I can't count the number of times I've eaten here so I finally decided to write a review. There are really just two things you need to know about Mr. Taco. First; they have they best street style tacos in Jacksonville. Second, they have the best Tres Leches I have ever eaten. If you like either of these things go visit them!

Now for some details, when I say street tacos what I mean is a simple taco with meat, a little lettuce, cream cheese, sour cream, and tomatoes. You aren't getting some crazy sauce, or mango chutney, or any other topping that you would typically see on an "upscale" taco; and its amazing. The meat is the key to this being such a great taco, the pastor and ground beef are especially tasty and they seem to hit the seasoning on both of them perfectly. While the tacos are just a bit on the small side you can get 3 tacos for just under $6 and that is more than enough to fill you up. They also have a small salsa bar that you can dump all over the top of your tacos (or put in to-go cups if you don't want to get messy).

The Tres Leches here is also the best Tres Leches I have ever eaten. It might actually be perfect; the cake is not mushy and soaked with excessive amounts of milk like most other Tres Leches I've eaten, its also not dry like those that are not soaked in milk. The balance of sweetness is just right as well, not too sweet but still tastes like a desert.

I really can't recommend this place enough for anyone who wants a few good delicious tacos, and maybe some Tres Leches to finish it off.

Date of visit: August 2015
Write a reviewReviews (34)

Reviewed August 1, 2015

We were so pleased to be introduced to this place through our mexican church friends. It is DELICIOUS and FRESH food and they play Christian music in the restaurant which is just awesome! But over the last year the prices have climbed and the portions have decreased! Exceptions are not made without a dollar extra charge. A small side of beans is 1.75! Which is just too high for my blood. Their are VERY few combination plates which is just... not what I am used to. In Wisconsin where we relocated from you got a combination plate which is 2 or 3 main items (taco, burrito, tostado or shrimp burrito & ground beef taco) AND a side of rice and beans for $9.00 which is the cost of a burrito here. Really is to much to add rice and beans to a NINE dollar burrito. Sorry but instead of this being our go to for mexican we are forced to look for other options.

Date of visit: August 2015
Reviewed July 15, 2015 via mobile

Use to eat from This restaurant till it was closed down for a day after inspectors found lots of Roaches and back up raw sewerage!!! This is disgusting

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed July 7, 2015 via mobile

Mr. Taco is probably one of the best true Mexican restaurants in Jacksonville. The food is truly spectacular! I usually get the 3 taco special with asada, pastor, and chorizo. The line is usually out the door during lunch so get there early.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed June 27, 2015

Mr. Taco serves, you guessed it, quality tacos. I tried the Chorizo, Asada and Pastor tacos with corn tortillas and avocado. They were delicious made with juicy flavorful meat and fresh veggies. This is the type of place I would visit on a regular basis if I lived in Jacksonville.

Date of visit: November 2014