“No Longer a Favorite”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We had eaten here in the past, mainly for breakfast and had been generally satisfied enough to return. This time we came for lunch. Three things remained the same. (1) Long wait outside for a table (30 minutes - so don't come mid-May through mid-September unless you like sweating through your clothes. (2) High noise level (and this was a new building, but noise cancelling material was apparently not considered) and (3) high menu prices for this market (our tab before tip was almost $35!). Maybe this place simply has gotten too fru-fru or maybe the lunch items are inconsistent, but my Huevos Ranchero was horrible. (Perhaps I should add that I lived in New Mexico and ate several very good versions of this dish. Outside New Mexico, I usually only order this dish at Southwestern restaurants.) Metro Diner spent a lot of time "decorating" the dish, but this is the first time I ever ate Huevos that was non-descript, gooey and bland. Even the Jalapeno was odd - pickled, not fresh. My two sunny side up eggs were sandwiched somewhere in the gooey middle, rather than placed on top. The salsa was comletely flavorless. Instead of lightly toasted tortillas, they were cut into big triangles and oven-toasted to the point of almost-blackened and hard. My wife's chicken and waffles was better, but not outstanding. Very disappointing and pricey for only two dishes and two iced teas. We will not be back, even for breakfast.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,564)

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I ate here in late January for lunch and had the chicken and waffles. The chicken was cooked perfectly, delicious waffle as well. The service was well above average and everyone was very friendly that worked there. I am not from the area or else I would definitely go back and I recommend it to anyone. The only downfall was we had to wait for about 20 minutes.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Ate breakfast here based on the ratings from Trip Advisor. Staff was extremely friendly and welcoming. There was a short wait but well worth it! The food was outstanding and if I'm in the Jacksonville area I would def come back!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Good food and great service but the place itself is very small and not alot of parking. We went because we saw it on diners drive ins and dives. I got the ya holla. It was good thought it was gonna be sweet but it really wasnt.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

On January 2, 2013 my wife and I asked folks at a nearby bicycle where the best place was to have a sit-down breakfast. They unanimously recommended the Metro. They were right. The portions were generous and well-prepared. We were very impressed with the quality of the service, and it was readily obvious why the Metro is a favorite gathering place for locals. We feel privileged to have been served there. We'll make the Metro our first choice for breakfast on our next visit.