“Smokey Satisfaction”

4 Rivers Smokehouse
Ranked #26 of 2,189 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: 4 Rivers is a family-owned smokehouse specializing in 30-day aged brisket, homemade southern sides and fresh bakery items.
Reviewed July 4, 2018

I had heard about 4 Rivers from several people so I decided to give it a try on the 4th of July. What better time to have BBQ , right? I had no idea what to expect and for some reason I thought it would be a high end franchised restaurant. Well when I walked in my immediate reaction was uh oh because I saw that you had to order and then seat yourself, as I got closer I saw that it was like a cafeteria style system where they served up the food in front of you. The food is served on a metal tray lined with paper. I ordered the 1/4 rack of ribs with 3 sides, mac n cheese, collards , and fried okra. It also came with texas cornbread. My partner ordered the sausage sandwich with fries and mac n cheese. When we got our trays the first thing I noticed was how large the portions were. The sausage sandwich could have easily been 2 sandwiches. The food was delicious, my fried okra was some of the best I've had, it was so well seasoned. My ribs were tender and the signature BBQ sauce was a perfect addition. The collards were very good and had a sweetness to them that was different. I was so stuffed I had to take food home. The atmosphere is fun and they even have a washing station made with a barrel to clean up after eating the deliciously good BBQ. There was a separate Sweet Shop that sold an array of decadent delights if you have room after eating all your BBQ. There is also outdoor seating that is pet friendly . I will definitely be back !

Reviewed July 1, 2018

We went to 4 Rivers on the recommendation of my niece, but we definitely will not go back. We were tired and hoping for table service, but instead had to order and receive our food at a counter. The "coolers" of bottled drinks are not cool at all, and the drinks were all room temperature. There were three of us, and all of us felt the food was just slightly below average. Most of the seating is at long family style tables. There are a few booths on the perimeter of the restaurant, and we snagged one of those. However, the seats weren't clean and my husband got mac & cheese on his pants. Amazingly, they keep a tip jar at the register, but I'm not aware of anything that anyone did to earn a tip. I had to stand to order my food, carry it to a table myself (while dodging unsupervised small children), and the table was dirty. We just don't see a need to come back.

Reviewed June 22, 2018 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised with this place. You walk in, place your order, pay, and have a seat. The food was very good. I had the Six Shooter which was a grit cake with pulled pork, coleslaw, pickles, jalepeños, and BBQ sauce. Everyone in our party enjoyed what they had from a salad, pulled pork quesadilla, and a veggie quesadilla. Their signature BBQ sauce is delicious. There was also an attached bakery with many yummy looking options but was way too full after our meal to partake in dessert. Would definitely go back if in the area again

Reviewed June 14, 2018 via mobile

Dined here with a friend who had visited here before. Great recommendation. Fun interior with a mix of individual and large hitops. Counter serve, followed by delivery to your table. Several options typical for establishments like this. Two sandwiches, with two sides equals lots of food. Love the mustard bbq sauce and their traditional is great as well.

There is a full desert section with some awesome selections. I'd you see the one that looks like a underbaked, cream cheese thing (known as an ooey gooey with the family) and you wish to enter a food coma go for it! You can get it to go as well, good choice after the filling entre.

Reviewed June 9, 2018 via mobile

Great service as soon as we walked in. There was a variety for all to eat and everyone was happy. When we saw the desert area, our eyes lit up. This place is all around great.