“Very Good Food at a Downtown Restaurant”
Review of Pho - A Noodle Bar

Pho - A Noodle Bar
Ranked #347 of 2,057 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: At Chew Restaurant, we believe everyone deserves great food at a reasonable price, attentive service, and thoughtful surroundings. We pride ourselves on craftsmanship and attention to detail in everything we do. We use the highest quality products available – made in-house, sourced locally, or from all over the world. We work hard to make sure you get a great meal, prepared and served by people with a passion for food, in an environment designed to make you feel welcome. Chew Restaurant would like their patrons to be aware that parties greater than 4 are not available for online reservations, Chew Restaurant prefers to handle those reservations in house.
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Chew is a popular lunch spot in downtown Jacksonville, which serves very good food in an eclectic atmosphere with a very good wine list and very good service. Their somewhat limited menu features locally grown and seasonal items, each delicious and beautifully prepared and presented. Be warned, however, that Chew is open for dinner only on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings, but, on those days, is an excellent choice for pre-theater or special occasion dinners. Only wine and beer are served. When crowded, it may be a bit noisier than most would like, but the food is worth it!!

Soon, they will be moving to a new location in the 5 Points neighborhood, which may enable them to expand their srvice.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

Excellent food, pleasant atmosphere. The citrus beet salad was outstanding, as was the spiced chocolate cake dessert. I would go back again if I lived here. Only thing that would have made it better is a full bar. They serve only wine and beer. However, the wine list is pretty good.

1  Thank denverista
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Downtown Jacksonville, being an area where people don't live, it makes for slim pickens' when it comes to dinner. I accidentally came across Chew Restaurant, and what a surprise. The service was very attentive, accommodating and efficient. The food, I had apple and goat cheese salad and gnocchi, was wonderful. All of the tables sitting around me commented on their wonderful meals as well. Nice portions for the price. The atmosphere is lively, shocking since downtown shuts down at 5pm, with a semi-casual attire. I highly recommend it and I look forward to returning.

1  Thank k2pooh
Reviewed August 12, 2011

from ---------------

We’re headed for a singer/songwriter concert later in the evening about two blocks away at the historic Florida Theater. But, driving around this part of Jacksonville on a Saturday evening makes you think you missed the imminent hurricane warning. The streets are deserted. The upside is that street parking is easily available. Chew is very self-effacing, squeezed non-descriptly between similar unremarkable buildings. Perhaps this is one of those places that are so trendy that they need no outward pizzazz.

Once inside you’re in a large room that has a clean, contemporary décor. A large white melamine bar has no stools and it appears that they only have a beer and wine license. Walls are mostly soft yellow and some have grey and white wallpaper. Other than a comfortable high backed taupe banquette things are very white. Square columns are decorated in reflective mosaic tile. Chandeliers were a plastic origami that looked very retro.

There’s a prom party at a large table as you walk in and it’s an eclectic crowd of older folks, post baby boomers and even a couple with a young child. Some people are dressed up and some are casual. I would imagine that they can seat 50 people.

As soon as we are seated the waiter brings us menus and starts rattling off the daily specials. Whoa, slow down dude. We have two hours to kill before the concert so there’s no rush. The wine list has a varied selection of about fifty wines. Most are over $40, but few are over $100.

We go for a Terraces chardonnay ($44) and a Guggenheim Malbec ($28) from Argentina. Both are respectable.

The menu offers a good selection of very interesting choices. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen sweetbreads, foie gras and crispy pork belly on the same menu. I’ve also never seen line-caught Cobia on a local menu. It sounds like the kitchen wants to challenge itself….fine with me.

We opt to share tastings of each other’s plates. We start with very lightly battered fried green tomatoes ($5) that are served with gorgonzola and a mustardy sauce; very nicely done. The foie gras appetizer ($18) is a perfectly sautéed large slice of duck liver; served with figs, bacon, salad and candied almonds it’s one of the best I’ve had in a year or more. Crispy pork belly ($10) is a small portion of 3 small pieces served with corn grits and a hot sauce. Some thought it was too salty and the grits were tasty but congealed. The waiter overheard us discussing the saltiness and the appetizer was removed from our bill without us asking! An arugula salad ($7) was deconstructed and included prosciutto, figs, mozzarella and tomatoes. I’m not sure about deconstructed salads. We also had a French onion soup ($8) that was served very hot, but when tasty was flavorful and hearty.

Duck leg confit ($23), another favorite of mine when I can get it, was perfectly crisped and served with a star anise broth that gave it an exotic flavor. Cauliflower, sugar snap peas and fingerling potatoes completed the treat. A Hanger steak ($24) was a second choice because the Steak frites was finished for the evening and it’s only 6pm! Served with mushrooms, leeks and frites, it was a good choice that was perfectly cooked. Veal Sweetbreads ($16), a large appetizer, were breaded and fried and served with carmelized onions and bits of bacon, spinach and toasts. A nice presentation, but I thought they were a little overcooked. Potato Gnocchi ($14) were little balls of heaven that were served with mushrooms, squash and apples in brown butter. Brown butter makes most things taste marvelous.

Since we still had time before the concert we ordered a couple of desserts. Also, we needed to push the calorie count up so we could feel appropriately guilty. Fried churros and a spicy chocolate cake did the job nicely.

All in all, an excellent dining experience. With a few tweaks here and there I think this could be one of the best restaurants in Florida.

2  Thank joeyeatsout
Reviewed July 3, 2011

When we got to chew, we were a bit scared because there were absolutely no people there and we had made reservations and been driving for 2 hours to go see a show in Jacksonville. But when the food started coming out, guests were trickling in and it got moderately filled up.

I would describe the attire as upscale business casual, or what could be described as "Jacksonville formal." Basically everyone there looked like they were about to go to a show where the tickets cost around $100 per person, which was the case that night. The guests were the type that looked comfortable in their clothes and skin, so I have a feeling that a lot of the well to do folks go here often before downtown events.

The decor is a mishmash of classical modernist elements and they did a great job with it. Gordon Ramsay would say it is fresh and modern.

I had the mushroom soup, the goat cheese salad, and the steak frites au poivre with the fried green tomatoes and polenta. Honestly, it was all so good and filling that I don't want to give too much away.

The steak was caveman sized, the fries were perfectly cooked and seasoned with a great sauce. My wife loved her seared chicken with ham. I will definitely return. Also, not terribly expensive... we ordered a ton of food and I believe our bill was around $93 before tip, with drinks... I remember back in the day at Medure, our bill would be twice that before tip. It was well worth it.

3  Thank mrnemo