“Has it lost it's soul!”

Jenkins Quality Barbecue
Ranked #1,435 of 2,151 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Had just visited the museum and spotted Jenkins on the way down,asked a couple of locals who did not give any rave reviews,but we made the decision to try it anyway. First impressions shabby, in need of a good spruce up it appears it has been a while since any money had been spent on decor, customer service, one member of staff needs more training the other friendly, BBQ lacking flavour relying on the mustard sauce to elevate it which it did not. We hope that the other location are not in the same sorry state. One good business in an area would attract more businesses to come in.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We visited on 5/25/2013 for a quick lunch after visiting the Ritz Museum. We asked the locals about this restaurant and was told it was a "hit or miss" type place. We decided to give it a try. We all ordered the rib snack (two middle rib bones and two sides) with three of the orders with hot mustard sauce and mine with sweet sauce and sides. We had a combination of baked beans, which I found a bit too sweet, but I loved the cinnamon flavor. The corn balls/fritters/nuggets were "off the chain". The potato salad was good. The ribs were okay and the sauce was average-a bit sugary. The hot mustard sauce was also okay. I thought the rib snack was priced appropriately and we enjoyed as a quick meal, but it was not the best we ever had. I think owner (s) should reinvest some of their profit back into the property and upgrade, since it an important part of the LaVilla community. Customer service was split. The person who took my order was pleasant and the person who took my money was rude and unprofessional. She could use some training in customer service.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

The beef sandwich is great but what puts it over the top for me is the mustard based sauce. The place looks sketchy but well worth a stop. Expect to wait on quality food.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Met a friend there as he always talks about it and I like to consider my self a BBQ Expert throughout the years of traveling. Plan jane decor, no table service and staff isn't friendly. Lunch for two (sandwiches, fries and sweet tea) was $22.00. The mustard base sauce was ok but the BBQ wasn't very flavorful period. Glad I at least experienced it once and won't feel like I am missing anything if I don't get back. Interesting area of town given the large bus stop is about a block down the road...... Probably would only go there during daylight hours and not a place I would take my family too.... Needs a little facelift and some employee training....

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I grew up in Jacksonville and Jenkins was the best barbeque anywhere. When I arrived in Jacksonville after a 10-hour drive, I stopped at Jenkins before checking into the hotel. I waited in the drive-thru for 50 minutes and got a full slab of ribs. The ribs were cold and so tough, they were inedible. I was so disappointed. Most people in Jacksonville knows that one cannot buy ribs from Jenkins in the morning or early afternoon because they served the ribs that they cooked the day before the following day. You had to wait until the old ribs were sold to get fresh ones. So we never went there before dinner time. We got those ribs at approximately 8:45 pm. I guess things have gotten worse.