“Great sauce!”

Ranked #1,350 of 2,013 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Barbecue
“Great sauce!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

The beef sandwich is great but what puts it over the top for me is the mustard based sauce. The place looks sketchy but well worth a stop. Expect to wait on quality food.

• Visited May 2013

Clermont, Florida
“Not worth the trip off I-95”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Met a friend there as he always talks about it and I like to consider my self a BBQ Expert throughout the years of traveling. Plan jane decor, no table service and staff isn't friendly. Lunch for two (sandwiches, fries and sweet tea) was $22.00. The mustard base sauce was ok but the BBQ wasn't very flavorful period. Glad I at least experienced it once and won't feel like I am missing anything if I don't get back. Interesting area of town given the large bus stop is about a block down the road...... Probably would only go there during daylight hours and not a place I would take my family too.... Needs a little facelift and some employee training....

• Visited April 2013
Germantown, Maryland
“Not good”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I grew up in Jacksonville and Jenkins was the best barbeque anywhere. When I arrived in Jacksonville after a 10-hour drive, I stopped at Jenkins before checking into the hotel. I waited in the drive-thru for 50 minutes and got a full slab of ribs. The ribs were cold and so tough, they were inedible. I was so disappointed. Most people in Jacksonville knows that one cannot buy ribs from Jenkins in the morning or early afternoon because they served the ribs that they cooked the day before the following day. You had to wait until the old ribs were sold to get fresh ones. So we never went there before dinner time. We got those ribs at approximately 8:45 pm. I guess things have gotten worse.

• Visited November 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
“Mustard based sauce”
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I put that in the title because not everyone is a fan. Most BBQ is tomato base. I believe everyone should try this once. I am a convert! Yes, the place is a dump, it could use a scrub and some paint. The service is slow, but OMG is it good!!!

Apopka, Florida
“Not worth the trip”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Four us of that were in town for the annual Georgia Florida football game had a craving for good barbecue on Saturday morning before the game. After checking Trip Advisor for local BBQ restaurants near our hotel, we decided on Jenkins. The place is located in a slightly rundown area of town. We had all experienced good BBQ in similar locations in other cities so we anticipated that Jenkins could be a good find. Pulling into the tiny parking lot around 11 AM, we only saw 1 other car. Not usually a good sign but we thought that we were just early. The little hole in the wall type building did not scare us away because we had experienced great BBQ in buildings just like this. Inside the place was noticeably grimey - like it could use a good scrubbing. Again this did not bother us because of past experience in other great hole in the wall BBQ joints in a seedy area of some town. A little lady that appeared to be about 75-80 years old took our order. The four of us ordered a BBQ pork sandwich each ($4.95) and 2 orders of fries ($2.15). When the little old lady went to the back to fix our food, we had our first nervous feeling. While we waited another customer walked in so we asked him about the food at Jenkins and he said the grilled chicken was good. "How about the pork sandwiches?" we asked. He repeated that the chicken was good. Uh-oh we thought. After what seemed like an eternity (actually 18 minutes), our food was brought to the counter. Immediately we noticed that the order of fries that we assumed was large enough for two people at $2.15 was a small order for 1 person - not worth the price. The BBQ pork in the sandwiches looked and tasted like it was prepared in a crock pot instead of a smoker. Actually I have had better crock pot BBQ than this. We decided that the crappy stadium food at the game was better quality than Jenkin's BBQ pork sandwich so we tossed it and left. In my humble opinion, this place is not worth the trip but if you do go - try the chicken - maybe it is better.

• Visited October 2012