“Ok, now where's the good mexican food?”
Review of La Nopalera

La Nopalera
Ranked #730 of 2,132 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I've recently moved to the area and the fact that this place has such great reviews frightens me about the availability of quality Mexican food around Jacksonville.

First, their "guacamole," without question, comes shipped to the restaurant from God knows where in a refrigerated vacuum sealed bag. I've had better guac from Chipotle. It ain't hard to make it fresh guys, and it ain't expensive. Let me know if you need me to show you how.

Second, the salsa they serve with the chips is somewhere between ketchup and cold tomato soup. Remind me to add pico de gallo to the list of things to show their kitchen how to make.

Third, the beef that was used for my quesadilla looked disturbingly similar to what comes out of a can of Alpo. I've never eaten Alpo, but I imagine what I ate was pretty darn close.

Also, the service was really slow but that can be forgiven because the place was so busy, unimaginably so for food so mediocre.

On the plus side, their margaritas were decent. After all, it is pretty darn hard to screw up a margarita. If you drink enough of them before eating, or if you've never sampled freshly prepared mexican food in your life, you might just enjoy the food at "La Nop" (as the locals call it).

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Service was amazing! We were seated as soon as we walked in the door. Our waiter brought out our chips & our salsa. Shortly after that he took our food orders. MY food came out extremely fast within about 10 minutes or less. It was smoking HOT when he put it down in front of me!! This place is amazing the food is incredible. I ordered a half order of Chicken Fajita Nachos!! If you are ever in Jacksonville an want affordable/Delicious Mexican cuisine this is the place! I love this place, and would go back to Jacksonville just to eat here! They are open late as well. We ordered our food about 9:45pm! They have a bar, but it is still an inviting family atmosphere.

Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

This is one of my favorites places to eat for the value. I love the owners, Maurice, Nora and their son-Jose. Saul, the chef is wonderful too.

Reviewed December 25, 2011

They are short staffed at the Crosshill Blvd location. It is a franchise and if you like Quantity over Quality this place is for you. it is inexpensive for what you get. However, it is not my idea of a good Mexican restaurant. I guess after a few cheap Margarita's the food may taste better. If you want to have a conversation, shouting or texting is the only way.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

Great service. Great food. Had them cater for a business lunch once and they did an amazing job - hot food, exactly as ordered, and they figured the quantities perfectly.

Been to La Nopalera? Share your experiences!