“Great diner!”

Fox Restaurant
Ranked #165 of 1,994 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Jacksonville
“Great diner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

My friend Andrew and I were trying to figure out where to go for lunch yesterday. We could not decide on anything so I started going through Urbanspoon's handy neighborhood guide. I really wanted breakfast, so the Fox looked really good to me.
The restaurant is very well hidden right in the middle of Avondale...we walked right by it! Once you walk in, it feels like you are in another world. It has an awesome old school diner feel and is very nostalgic! We took a seat and started looking over the menu. The menu is HUGE! I decided on chocolate chip pancakes and cheese grits. I thought they were going to be regular size pancakes, but they were dinner plate size! I took the first bite and was in chocolate heaven! They do not go cheap on the chocolate chips, and the pancakes were light and fluffy. Absolutely delicious! I didn't love the grits though. They just sprinkled some cheese on the top and called them cheese grits...um no.

Andrew got the Club with potato salad. He said that the bacon was super crispy and everything tasted pretty fresh. I made him help me with the pancakes so I don't think he ate it all though!

Verdict: Loved it! The pancakes were some of the best I have had. They were so chocolatey that they were making me sick towards the end, so that's how you know they are good! I loved the old diner feel and the staff were very friendly. I can't wait to take my husband here on a Sunday morning.

For more Jacksonville restaurant reviews, check out my blog!

• Visited August 2013

Savannah, Georgia
“always a great breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

regular diner breakfast with super service and friendly staff... there is always a line to get in but it moves fast and you are rewarded for your wait by delicious, cheap food...

Visited February 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great little place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

I enjoy coming here when I am in this area of town. Make sure to get there early if you don't want to wait in line...or only go with one other person. The bigger your party the longer the wait. Typical diner fare nothing special with the food. Its just one of those places that is cool though.

Visited February 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
“Breakfast favorite.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

You can order breakfast at any time and since breakfast is my favorite meal I love going to the Fox at lunchtime.

Visited December 2013
Florida
“Highly rated and worth it: Great breakfasts, sandwiches”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

I read reviews here and since we had to be in Jacksonville we tried it--the breakfast was great. We misjudged how long it would take to drive to Jacksonville and it took an extra hour. We arrived at this restaurant after 10 a.m. Some reviews mention it being crowded and a long wait. We were there on a Thursday and no wait at all, half the tables were empty. Some reviewers mentioned how great they thought the French toast was, we ordered it and I guess it is a matter of what you are used to. The French toast was on some sort of special whole wheat bread with cinnamon sprinkled on it. The toast itself was not toasted, more like lightly browned and no egg batter. Neither my wife or I would order this again. But, I got a half order of biscuits and sausage gravy and was phenomenal--not like any biscuits and gravy I had ever gotten before. My wife does not usually like biscuits and gravy and she really liked these. The biscuits were perfectly baked and light. The gravy is a mystery, it had sausage bits in it but a very unique base, honestly, when it came out I wondered, "What have I done." They had so much gravy on the plate that you could not see the biscuits and the gravy was very chunky with specs of red pepper, slightly spicy. I told our waitress, Tory S, that these were the best biscuits and gravy I have ever eaten, and meant it. Tory was very nice and helpful. She suggested a veggie omelet, which my wife and I shared. That was a huge breakfast for two people who try to just eat fruit and cereal for breakfast--but well worth it.

In checking out the lunch and dinner menu, I found a complete assortment of unique sandwiches and wraps. My wife wants to try several items with fried green tomatoes. This restaurant is small, with four or five tables outdoors, inside tables and booths.

My wife and I have to go back to Jacksonville tomorrow and plan to stop by for breakfast again. This time I plan to get a large order of the biscuits and gravy and my wife is going to try the pancakes.

• Visited October 2013