“Great pho, good sushi and sashimi, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Shogun Steak & Seafood - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Shogun Steak & Seafood
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“Great pho, good sushi and sashimi, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

The restaurant is now under new management and renamed Mikado as well as Pho Bowl. My friends have been recommending this place for quite a few months now (since they changed owners), then recently added Pho to their menu. I just never tried this restaurant because it is a bit out of the way for me. But then, we had a Japanese guest recently and decided to try this place.
The restaurant used to be Shogun, and located in a strip mall that is a bit on the deserted side. The area is not on the upscale side, just average. I prefer the Mikado near the Avenues Mall for my Japanese food fix.
I usually just go straight to their regular tables since I prefer to order sushi and sashimi rather than the teppanyaki table. Our waitress was friendly and efficient. The place has average Japanese restaurant decor, pretty spacious. Temperature just right( we went on a pretty cold night).
We ordered their standard Pho( beef, tripe meatballs and clear noodles, I think it is P1), the broth was delicious and we enjoyed the bowl of soup( very comforting on a cold night). Also ordered the shrimp eggroll ( whole shrimp wrapped in eggroll wrapper and fried), this was something unique and delicious. Had their sashimi platter, which was very good,fish was fresh and portions generous. Also had some sushi, salmon and eel roll (our standard sushi order) and it was pretty good. Their calamari was okay. Our Japanese friend thought the sushi( American style ) and sashimi were very good. It turns out that sushi in Japan are just simple seaweed wrapped rice with fish inside, nothing fancy like the different colorful rolls we have, but she enjoyed our American style sushi.
For this area of Jacksonville, this is a great place for sushi, sashimi and Pho.

• Visited January 2013

Lakeland, Florida
“Have a Japanese birthday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is a birthday tradition for our family. The sushi is fresh and the table side dinner is enough to fill you up and take home for breakfast (JJ).

Visited December 2012
Melbourne Beach, Florida
“The kids loved the traditional Japanese Steakhouse show!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Had a great dinner and a great time for a party of 8. Delicious steak and shrimp combinations with children's meals very substantial and a good value. Our chef performed well table side. Well worth the trip! Kids loved the onion "volcano". :) Will certainly go again if we are in the area!

Visited August 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“NICE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

Our food and service was very good. We got sushi and enjoyed our dinner.

• Visited January 2012
Colorado
“Our chef was what made the whole dining experience great!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

I've been to a few restaurants like this, and while it wasn't absolutely amazing food, it was still quite enjoyable. Maybe things have changed over the past year and that is why there are poor reviews (more current)...

Our cook was hilarious. He had some of the best jokes I'd heard and was quite entertaining when he made an onion volcano (thank you, copious amounts of vodka on fire). Flipping shrimp into our (almost) mouths and tossing eggs in his hat before cracking them for our rice was so entertaining... I got a kick out of it.

I think this is a good place to go with friends to have a few drinks and a fun dining experience.

Regarding the tip issue noted on some of the reviews...we didn't experience that last time I was there...I wonder if that's new too? If so...ugh. Way to ruin a good thing.

• Visited October 2010