“Willing to Wait For Service? Order Only Italian”

Sorrento Italian Restaurant
Ranked #157 of 2,038 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
St. Augustine, Florida
“Willing to Wait For Service? Order Only Italian”
Reviewed February 5, 2010

There is both good and not so good about this place. It was my first time and we were a party of 7. 2 of us arrived first, letting them know the others would be a couple minutes. When they arrieved we were seated. It took a few minutes before our waitress came. I'll Call her M, since that's what her name began with. She asked if we wanted water; something I thought strange to ask. When that finally came, she asked for drinks which we did not order. She left and was gone for what seemed like a long time. Meanwhile, bread was served, but not with butter or oil. A while later the butter arrived.

After waiting some more, M started taking orders. I'm used to ladies first, but I guess that is out of fashion here. Salads come with the meals and it also took a while and we were given plenty of time to finish them. After a near eternity, the entress were served. Disregarding ladies first, they came out at about the same time. 4 chicken parms, one chicken florentine, one lasagna and one lightly fried seafood dish of shrmp, scallops and fish. Squid was substituted for more of whatever they chose as was ordered.

All but one in the party was very satisfied; the seafood dish was awful. Greasy and more than lightly breaded as stated. I suppose the term is relative. It came with tomato sauce on the side (for fired seafood) and spaghetti in a small bowl, just as the other dishes came with (except the lasagna). M asked if everything was OK, but no one had a chance to taste anything yet. She left and came back about 10 minutes later to ask if we were doing OK. The seafood dish was barely touched and I was waiting for her to check back with us prior to this. I gave her the plate and said I didn't like it. She said nothing and took the plate. About 10 minutes later again, she came to take plates and I asked her if she was going to remove the price of the seafood dish from the check.

She asked if something was wrong with it (hello?) and I said yes, I had said before it wasn't good and she didn't ask me if I wanted something else when she took it away. She said she would ask someone about it. She came back about 5 minutes later with a menu and asked if I wanted to order something else. I looked around the table so she could realize everyone was finished, like she couldn't tell? I told her I didn't want anything else at this point in time; just to take it off the check.

Everyone else's dinner looked great, especially the lasgna which was served in a huge baking dish. Had I ordered that or chicken, I'm sure it would have been very good, but I didn't want that. The people I was with had been there before and loves it. One in my party said I should't have ordered fried food in an Italian restaurant, and he is correct. Wish I had been told that an hour ago. However, if you can't do something that is good, it shouldn't be on the menu. It was $21, the others were $13. It was worse than Red Lobster's seafood platter that is usually served luke warm. I could only tell what the shrimp were; I had no idea what the other globs of fried bread were. I will say it was hot and can't imagine why it was so bad. Since it was a birthday celebration there was a cake that we brought. M cut it for us and did a very good job of it.

The dinner was taken off the check, as well it should have been. I should have been asked for a different entree when it was clear I didn't like the one I was served at the time it was removed from the table. The service is intolerabley slow. I wasn't the one paying the check; my buddy did because it was his mom's 80th birthday. I knew they added gratuity to parties of 5 or more; I doubt he did and he is very generous. I didn't ask, but being that I had an issue with my dinner, I'm sure he tipped over 20% as he usually does and that would be on top of the tip he did not know was included. So, my dinner was paid for after all and it was really bad. The bit I did taste got to me when I got home (won't go there); it was just that bad. If nothing else, the grease and breading is what ruined it.

If you like Italian and you order their Italian dishes, you probably won't be disappointed. Bear in mind, you will have to wait to get served, and wait a long time you will. We were one of only 3 tables in the room we were in; I couldn't see into the next rooms.

Atmosphere is very good, table separation is good, white table cloths, green cloth napkins and nice dinnerware. The fireplace with fake logs are kind of cheezy in the entrance, but someone tried to create embeance. I base my rating on 1 bad, 3 good, 1 very good and 2 outstanding among our dishes; the latter being the lasagna and chicken florentine. The chicken parms looked like it does anywhere, but I didn't taste it.

Serving beer and wine only. By the end of this I needed a real drink. This is not a place I would say not to go to if you don't mind a long drawn out simple Italian dinner. I chose the wrong entree, because the chef put the wrong item on the menu and charged a high price for it. I typically equate price with quality, but I made a mistake. Still, I wouldn't go there again even if my buddy paid for it again.

Had the waitress apologized for my disappointment and asked for a replacement right away, I would not be writing this the same way. That is the difference between good and lacking of good service. Waiting for great food is no problem; waiting to return an unsatisfactory dish is.

1 Thank AFRanger

Orange Park, FL
“Delicious!”
Reviewed June 19, 2009

One of the best kept secrets of Jax. Most don't even know it exists. You will not be disappointed.

Coral Springs, Florida
“Great Price - Average Food Quality”
Reviewed April 15, 2007

Six adults ranging in age from 22 to 57 ate six different entrees April 14 and each had the same opinion. The restaurant is too small for comfortable dining. The seats are hard and the tables too small for both appetizers and drinks and salad let alone the main dishes. The salads were deplorable. The rolls lacked flavor. The appetizers were flavorless and not presented well. The main dishes were very good and worth the price but we were looking for something special and received something very ordinary. The service was superb. One final note, if you must use a rest room try the Texaco station instead as it is cleaner and has hand towels.

2 Thank pittston