“Decent, but nothing to gush about”

Sorrento Italian Restaurant
Ranked #165 of 2,075 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Maybe I've spent too much time in Italy to be able to review Italian restaurants in the US. I try to judge them on a different scale (not going to be real Italian, of course) but I am usually disappointed in them no matter what. Watery pasta is the usual.

I was not disappointed here. I had a spaghetti dish with a tomatoe sauce laden with a lot of olives and other good stuff. It wasn't full of sugary-sweetnes, like so many lousy sauces at American Italian places. The noodles were not overcooked. These are wins, in my book.

I made the mistake of first ordering a portion of Bruschetta, which were decent (though too oniony) and the plate must have had 5 pounds of appetizer on it. I couldn't finish it all, which is unusual for me, as I can pack away the food.

There's nothing stylish about the place. It's in a typical down-market-looking mini-mall storefront. The neighborhood actually creeped me out a bit after dark. Seemed surrounded by vast, unoccupied industrial stuff. No biggie, but you're not going to have a romantic dinner and a stroll here. You're going to drive in, park next to the geriatric Cadillac Leagues' cars, and drive home.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

We had another delicious dinner at Sorrento. We started with a couple of appetizers of stuffed mushrooms and shrimp scampi. Both of those appetizers were so good I did not think the entrees could top them The shrimp were good quality without too much garlic and the stuffed mushrooms were hot with just the right amount of cheese. My husband and I ordered the chicken saltimbocca which was excellent with a side dish of linguini with meat sauce. The chicken breast was on a bed of spinach layed with prosciutto, eggplant, cheese topped with a hard boiled egg with melted cheese and some sort of heavnly orange light sauce/juice perfect for mopping with the wonderful garlic rolls. We were way too full to even give dessert a thought. My main concern is the restaurant being near empty. Hopefully it was because of pouring rain or people staying home to watch the Gator game, it certainly was not because of the food and excellent service. Can't wait to go back and order the exact same thing!!!

Reviewed September 4, 2011

From the outside, you would never guess what a nice Italian restaurant awaited you inside. The food was very good and generous. Was disappointed in the butter-less, pretzel-textured rolls, tho.

Reviewed September 1, 2011

This was the third time I have gone to this restaurant with my friends. Everything I have had at this restaurant was absolutely great. The atmosphere is a little cramp and the wall color and decor definitely needs updating but it is homey.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Traveling on highway and found this restaurant on Trip Advisor food reattach and service good too worth a few miles detour to experience.