“Fantastic from start to finish!”
Review of Matthew's

Matthew's
Reserve with OpenTable
Matthew's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #122 of 2,013 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Alford Place
Description: For over a decade, Matthew's Restaurant in San Marco has been one of Northeast Florida's most distinctive, innovative and elegant restaurants. Chef Matthew Medure has set the standard in fine dining with his unique menu options, impeccable service and attention to detail. The staff is at your service and prepared for your every need. The menu is carefully thought out each day to surprise and entertain your palate and to satisfy every distinctive taste.
HIlton Head Island, SC
“Fantastic from start to finish!”
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We dined here this past Friday night and everything was spot on. Our server was attentive, helpful, friendly, and offered great menu and wine suggestions. He even turned us onto a great new Pinot that we had never tried but will now ask for whenever we go out to eat! We walked out very full and very pleased with our experience here- I would recommend Matthew's to anyone who loves great food and an innovative and creative atmosphere!

Jacksonville, Florida
“Not perfect, but a fine luxury-dining experience”
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Matthew's is widely considered to be Jacksonville's best restaurant, and it generally met my expectations (in just one meal so far) but it didn't wow me. I've eaten in a number of the country's best restaurants, and I'm rarely wowed, so my expectations have been calibrated down over time. I've found that "wow" experiences are more of a random occurrence than something that you can expect at top restaurants. If you have reasonable expectations when you go here, I think you'll be pleased.

The service was consistent with the best (but for one problem), in my opinion: expert and constantly present without you noticing them too much. The problem: I inquired about an M card (Matthew's loyalty card) at the beginning of the meal and my waiter said that I'd receive one with my check. It never came.

The setting is comfortable, upscale, attractive, and not too noisy.

Entrees range from the low $20s to the mid $30s. There were quite a few wines in the $30s, and well as a good selection by the glass. There are more expensive restaurants in Jacksonville, and I consider the place to be reasonable value.

I tried two types of bread, and they were merely pleasant to me (I think restaurants at this level should be shooting for better than pleasant). The butter was warm and spreadable, which I like, but rather bland (for my taste, the best butter is much saltier).

My appetizer was a hit: gnocchi with a blue cheese sauce and bacon. I scooped up ever last bit of the sauce, and would definitely order it again. My main, scallops with risotto, was tasty but not a wow. It had the advantage of being much smaller than my compatriot's dishes, however, allowing me to put down three courses without being stuffed. My compatriots all had beef dishes, and the consensus (and I tasted them all) was that they had cut-above flavor. The sirloin was notably large, however, too large for most people if they want to eat a multi-course meal. My dessert, a peanut butter/chocolate dish, was merely pleasant, a disappointment to me.

A couple of quibbles:
- a gnat buzzed me briefly at one point.
- I emailed them through their website prior to eating there, and haven't heard back yet. Most restaurants are brain-dead when it comes to the internet.

Insider hint: they've been running good coupons in Mint Magazine recently.

Overall: no, my experience wasn't perfect. Yes, I'd like to eat there regularly, and I enjoyed myself on this occasion. It's pretty expensive, but reasonably priced for a restaurant of this quality. If you have reasonable expectations I think they'll be met.

Atlantic Beach, FL
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed April 18, 2009

I recently visited Matthew’s for my girlfriend’s birthday along with another couple. We enjoyed our evening but left very disappointed with both the food and the service. The experience definitely did not meet our expectations.

We were pleasantly greeted when we arrived and the restaurant interior is quite exquisite. After having a few drinks at the bar we were promptly seated at our table.
Our server was friendly but mediocre. After ordering some wine we found ourselves waiting for quite some time before getting served some bread. We finally had to ask a hostess for some.

To begin our meal we ordered several starters from the a la carte menu including beef Carpaccio, foie gras, and escargot. The Carpaccio was very good but the foie gras was overcooked and the escargot was cold.

Usually I find myself not able to figure out what to order because everything on the menu looks so good. However, for this particular night, the menu was quite uninteresting and it was hard to find a meal that stood out. The most interesting dish, a pan seared striped bass, was unfortunately sold out. The remaining entrees were all something we would expect to see at any nice restaurant in town. We were hoping for some ‘wow’ factor on the menu given our high expectations.

For entrees we settled on the diver scallop dish, a grouper and spinach entree, the rack of lamb, and a crispy seared duck breast. The scallop dish was excellent. The grouper entrée was simply average. Not bad but not great. A meal you could find at any nice seafood restaurant in town for half the price. The duck entrée wasn’t properly cooked. It was not seared properly, slightly over cooked, and wasn’t crispy as advertised. The rack of lamb was severely undercooked. I ordered it the recommended medium-rare and it arrived very rare, bloody rare. I couldn’t believe it made it out of the kitchen and we had to send it back. The staff was very apologetic but I would certainly expect a fine dining restaurant to have everything cooked to the proper temperature. There clearly was a lack of quality control this evening.

The soufflé we had for dessert was quite excellent and helped to allay our dissatisfaction with our food earlier.

Overall the restaurant experience was quite disappointing for a fine dining experience. This was definitely not a Four Diamond restaurant on this night. Both the service and food went lacking. The restaurant is beautiful and the staff was very friendly. If only the food and service was of the same caliber.

If you are looking for a true fine dining experience with Top Chef type of entrees I would recommend Salt at the Ritz on Amelia Island. It’s pricy as well but you’ll find a much more interesting menu and a much more professional quality of service. If you want more interesting food without the fine dining experience you might want to try Marker 32 or Roy’s.

2 Thank atlbch
Houston, Texas
“Excellent if you go for...”
Reviewed February 6, 2009

Excellent if you go for a special ocassion....artistic in presentation, small portions but satisfying.

1 Thank JulieLJacksonville
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Decor and atmosphere can...”
Reviewed January 19, 2009

Decor and atmosphere can be a bit cold.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook