“Old Fashioned Dinners”

Dining options: Dinner, Takeout
Jacksonville, Florida
“Old Fashioned Dinners”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Down Home Old Fashioned Chicken Dinners and Family Dining! It's a popular spot for the locals and a taste of Jacksonville history! Don't miss this one if you like good southern fried chicken. It's really good!

jacksonville, fl
“Open for lunch now!”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This place has been around since the '50's for one reason - amazing fried chicken with all the fixins. Cream peas, biscuits, potatoes and gravy. Used to be the big "after church" lunch, now open for lunch (but I admit, it slows me down after chowing down on such good chicken!)

Visited August 2012
Florida
“Fair chicken place”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

As a fried chicken connoisseur, I was excited when a local friend told me of this place. My husband and I went on the way out of town and ordered a fair sampling of the menu (7+ different items). Pros: It was reasonably priced and you got a good amount for the price. The chicken has a great breading which gives it the possibility to be some of the best chicken. Cons: Very little flavor and overcooking kept it from being good chicken, much less the best. It was bland, which was disappointing. The sides were nothing stellar: crinkle cut fries which tasted about the same as the chicken (more grease flavor and less natural food), assortment of veggies were nothing impressive. Service wasn't the best, either. It was our first time so we had a few questions, and you could tell that the server was put off by this, despite nobody else being there at the time. Overall, it was a disappointment. Spend half the money and go to Popeye's for a better dinner!

• Visited March 2012
Sebastian, Florida
“1972--Never Again”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I have eaten at Beach Road Chicken Dinner since 1972. After moving to south Fl. a few years ago we always stopped in when up that way. Sorry to say, NEVER again. The place was filthy. The capets were disgusting, and the table was sticky. When I asked the server to please wipe it, her response was "it's only honey". OK, may have been, but I don't like putting my sleeve in anything, including honey. We both had to ask for our beverage glasses to be changed as they had chips out of the rims. The slaw was nasty and tasted old. Next came the creamed peas. Yuck is all I can say, and I always loved them. It was like eating luke warm glue with a few peas thrown in. We noticed immediately that the fries were covered with some white substance. It was on looking more closely that I found out it was salt. I asked the server to please get us some unsalted fries and was told they all came that way and we would have to wait until they could make us some. I told her we wouldn't eat the fries, as after tasting I found we couldn't eat and would have to wait. Wait we did, about 15 minutes for unsalted fries. The ones we got were unsalted, but tasted very greasy. Now about the chicken. The pieces were cooked until tough, and would have been tastless had it not been for the SALT. Again, we couldn't eat our chicken due to the large amount of salt on all the pieces. The biscuits were OK although overdone. We were given two when we sat down, asked for refills, and were given two more. They used to bring a basket. The second two were overdone and hard which makes me think they had sat in the bun warmer for a long time. Oh, the honey was great! I don't know if they have new management or new cooks, but whatever the problem is, they've lost customers of 40 years. If you want to eat in a filthy restaurant that serves food so salty it can't be eaten, side dishes that appear and taste to be old, and the chicken they used to be famous for now hard and tough, stop by BRCD as it has all the above along with lousy service. It's so sad to see what was once a great little place for dinner for so many years, come to this.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank barbaragwen270
Florida
“Delicious!”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Best fried chicken in Jacksonville. I could drink the gravy, it's so good. This is a family favorite!

Visited March 2012