“Happy hour crowded & poor service rooftop, restaurant better” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Sheep

Black Sheep
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Sheep is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,983 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Oak St.
Description: Black Sheep is an independent restaurant located in Jacksonville"s historic 5-Points in Riverside. Our focus is on fresh, local ingredients, hand-crafted food, and gracious service. We offer a full bar, signature cocktails, craft beers and an excellent wine list. We offer fast-casual lunch Monday through Friday, dinner Monday through Saturday, and brunch Saturday and Sunday.
Jacksonville, Florida
“Happy hour crowded & poor service rooftop, restaurant better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I've been to this venue about 5 times in the past year. Twice for happy hour, which was crowded on the rooftop and one time, a server didn't serve us (told us to go to the bar, whereas she served other customers). Had dinner at rooftop dining one time, and service was OK. Dinner wasn't spectacular, other than the scenary (mainly people watching). Had Sunday brunch downstair one time & service was excellent. The meals were great, with the burger perfectly done. Bloody Mary was also good (though the server didn't know what a "chaser" was). Also had dinner there once and service was OK due to its busy crowd. Overall, would recommend going during off peak hours, or if you just want to get a drink on rooftop and don't mind the crowd.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Huntington Beach, California, United States
“Looks like a coffee shop, however the food and service will surprise you!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

Lynette and I were invited to the Black Sheep restaurant for lunch on Thursday, November 7, 2013. As we walked in we noticed the ordering method and I figured this was going to be a typical coffee shop with a quaint name without the normal French spelling and pronunciation - Mouton Noir. I noticed the waiters/ servers wearing the normal french black waiter’s apron that went to just about halfway between the shoe top and the knee. Good point, I thought. One of the appetizers was a French Onion Soup. I do not consider myself a French food connoisseur by any means, although I do know what good French Onion Soup looks and tastes like since Lynette makes a tremendous one. Another item I ordered was small serving of potato, (or is is potatoe?) salad along with a sandwich. Lynette ordered a salad. We were handed the table number as the food would be delivered to our table. Normal coffee shop faire, right? In a few minutes the food arrived and here is where the coffee shop label was now out the window. Each order was delivered a single tray and the utensils were wrapped in a cloth napkin! Yes, it took two servers and the server was actually looking to be helpful rather than dropping off the trays and leaving with perfunctory question about our needs. He actually wanted to to be of service and it was apparent. So we started to eat and the mild surprises come into play. My onion soup was served in the typical French way with the cheese overflowing the bowl and a good sized spoon rather than a puny teaspoon. The cheese was cuttable with a spoon and it was not just a dollop of cheese dropped in at the last moment. The onions were also just right. Try it and you will know what good French Onion soup tastes like. Next came another surprise with the potato salad. It was not a typical overly soft group of potatoes or even rock like potatoes. They were perfect cooked and seasoned like few other potato salads I have ever tasted. They were spiced just right without a lot of mayonnaise taste. Actually I wonder if mayonnaise was used at all. You might ask the server when your arrives, since I forgot. They were delicious and I was tempted to ask for more. I didn’t because we were about to drive for 2 plus hours to Orlando to catch a plane. The sandwich I ordered was also great. An interesting thing happened that does not happen very often. Our server came back and asked how our meal was. which was expected, and then asked if I wanted a refill on the water glass. A refill on a water glass! Yes, that happens at upscale restaurants, and the request and the refill now made me want to come back the next time we are in Jacksonville, Florida. Be prepared to be quite surprised with the level of service at Black Sheep restaurant. Oh yes, the food is also quite good! But wait, there's more, they now started serving brunch on the weekends from 9:30 AM to 3:00 PM. Check out the brunch menu with cardamon pancakes and Pastrami Hash!

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank 943RickR
Atlantic Beach, Florida
“Rooftop Bar and Dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Had a dinner reservation in the downstairs dining room but went up on the roof for a couple of drinks. Friendly and helpful. Downstairs for dinner and had a tremendous pork chop raised on the owners farm. Overall a very positive experience,

Visited October 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great Food, Nice Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I visited a friend up in JAX for the weekend and we decided to go to Black Sheep for dinner since it was recommended. The food was excellent...a nice portion with tasty flavors. I ordered the Short Ribs and would definitely get it again.

Visited October 2013
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
“No Baa-Baas Here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

You order at the counter, get your number, and they bring your meal to you at both indoor and outdoor seating. Soups, salads and sandwiches all seemed good. We know they have seating on the roof for dinner and it should be a very special dining experience. We are sorry to have missed it!

• Visited October 2013