“Pleasant Lunch & Rooftop View”
Review of Black Sheep

Black Sheep
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Sheep is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 2,074 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Oak St.
Description: Black Sheep is an independent restaurant located in Jacksonville"s historic 5-Points in Riverside. Our focus is on fresh, local ingredients, hand-crafted food, and gracious service. We offer a full bar, signature cocktails, craft beers and an excellent wine list. We offer fast-casual lunch Monday through Friday, dinner Monday through Saturday, and brunch Saturday and Sunday.
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We took the elevator to the 4th floor & enjoyed the breeze. I ordered a salad with shaved fennel & tomatoes.Tomatoes were orange & red & it looked pretty. Tasted very good but could have had more fennel. My husband had the chicken salad with Marcona almonds & currants. It came on a bed of beautiful lettuce but it took over a half hour for the order to arrive. We requested bread which came after we were done eating but was delicious & warm.Our waiter was attentive refilling water from a bottle that he left on our table.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We went for dinner on a busy week night with several large parties of 8, 10 and more. As busy as the restaurant was, the service was very good and attentive. We ordered soup and crab cake for first course. The menu indicates that bread is served upon request. We did so, only to extremely disappointed in the small pieces of white bread that held absolutely no redeeming qualities. With so many wonderful breads offered at most restaurants of this caliber, this bread was a travesty. The soup of the day a cream of celery was very good, however, the pieces of fennel provided as a garnish were so large that they couldn't easily fit on the soup spoon. The crab cake was also very good with lump crab meat, however the sauce accompanying it was merely for decoration, there was not enough to eat with more than two bites of the crab. For entrees, we ordered short ribs which were very flavorful but also would have liked more sauce. The piece de resistance was the blue cheese bread pudding. We added a side of creamed peas which were also creatively seasoned. The short ribs were definitely an entree we would recommend. Our second dinner entree was snapper in a broth accompanied by chorizo, small chopped tomatoes, and potatoes. A spoon should have been provided with the amount of broth served. The menu called for corn on the cob to be another side for the dish, however, I have always believed that if you have potatoes as a starch you don't need corn too! We ordered a side of collards instead..they were excellently seasoned and a happy addition. Again an entree I would not hesitate to recommend. For dessert we shared a peach upside down cake wtih vanilla ice cream. It was ok, but not memorable...and the ice cream may not have been of the best quality since it had almost completely melted by the time the dessert reached our table.
We would return for another visit, the food items that we liked were exceptional enough to bring us back. But I am hoping that the restaurant manager reads this review and thinks about some of my comments and makes some changes.

1  Thank discerninggourmand
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

The food tastes good and you feel healthy when you leave but the prices per amount of food is disappointing to me. The food isn't all that to require the price in my opinion.
I've only been during lunch and their isn't really any service except when you order at the counter and drink refills every now and then.

2  Thank areuwwjd
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Very clean and trendy restaurant. Fresh ingredients. Lunch for 2 adults, two elementary school girls was $40 - which is what we'd normally spend at a diner.

The food was excellent. I had the fried egg sandwich - with a fresh baked english muffin, spicey sausage, cheese - with a side of home fries. Very tasty.

The mac n cheese is not kraft (so if your kids want/expect kraft - don't order). For adults, it's good. Creamy, baked with a nice crust. Both parents liked it.

Wife and youngest had the French toast which my wife compared to Toad in the Hole if you've heard of that. She like it a lot.

The only thing I can impress upon you is - this is fine quality food at diner prices. When we travel back through Jax, we'll stop here again for SURE!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Walking distance from our B and B, this eclectic restaurant has inside (downstairs) and rooftop (upstairs) options. Great house cabernet and I had the shrimp and grits which were cajun and just the right heat.